ADVERTISEMENT

TRAINING CAMP NOTES: 8/1/2017

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Pitt training camp 2017 got started on Tuesday with the first practice of August. As per NCAA rules, the players were not in pads, but the shorts-and-shirts practice - or at least the portion we got to see - revealed a few interesting notes.

- We’ll start with the suspensions. Jordan Whitehead was not at practice on Tuesday, but Alex Bookser and Quintin Wirginis were. Both Bookser and Wirginis appeared to be down the depth chart, working as backups while the coaches get the players who will actually be in the first few games ready.

- To account for Bookser’s suspension, the coaches seem to have moved redshirt junior Mike Herndon to the offensive line - again. Herndon came to Pitt as a defensive tackle, moved to offensive guard, moved back to defensive tackle and now seems to be back on offense. He was working at right guard on Tuesday.

- I think Brandon Hodges will probably figure into the conversation at right guard. He is the grad transfer from Texas, and since he announced his transfer last Wednesday, I’m guessing the paperwork is still getting settled; he is not listed on the training camp roster but was at practice watching the offensive linemen (and decked out in Pitt gear). Once he gets on the field - and he’ll need to have the “acclimation” days where he only works out in shirts and shorts before he can put on pads - I think he’ll get snaps at right guard.

- Elsewhere on the offensive line, I think the coaches are going to look at getting Jaryd Jones-Smith ready at left tackle in case Brian O’Neill is still recovering from the injury he suffered in the spring game. In a corresponding move, it looks like Bryce Hargrove is working at tackle, specifically on the right side; he was at guard this spring. But if what we saw was any indication, he was behind freshman Jerry Drake - one of the surprise standouts this spring - at right tackle.

- Wirginis’ absence seems to be playing out the way we expected, with redshirt sophomore Saleem Brightwell working at middle linebacker, backed up by redshirt freshman Chase Pine. And Brightwell’s move inside pushed redshirt junior Elijah Zeise to the top of the food chain at Money linebacker.

- It looks like Jazzee Stocker will get the first shot at replacing Whitehead at field safety next to Dennis Briggs. Redshirt freshmen Phil Campbell and Bricen Garner appear to be the top backups, which is expected.

- One of the things we’re always watching is the jersey color of sophomore Maurice Ffrench, since he bounced between offense and defense in the spring and is listed as a DB/WR on the official roster. On Tuesday, he was wearing a blue jersey, which meant he’s starting camp on offense.

- I still think Ffrench will get reps on both sides of the ball, but with him at receiver, the coaches had Therran Coleman and Dane Jackson behind Avonte Maddox and Phillipie Motley, as expected.

- I’m still working my way through Last Chance U to see the hubbub about Kam Carter, but I’ll say this: he looks the part in shorts and jerseys. He’s taller than I expected and looks athletic; I think he’ll play a lot at defensive tackle this year.

- I thought Rashad Weaver would get more chances at defensive end with Rori Blair dismissed from the team, and he did seem to be working on the second team opposite James Folston (both were behind Dewayne Hendrix and Allen Edwards).

- There’s always a lot to take in on the first day of camp, as I was trying to look at everything in a short amount of time. A few other things that stood out:

- Chris Clark was running around, so that’s a good sign.

- Damar Hamlin appears to still be limited.

- Cam Bright is a little on the skinny size but he’s got a good frame to play Star linebacker.

- Charles Reeves is really impressive-looking in person - and that’s without pads. I don’t know if he’s the 280 he’s listed at, but he is big.

- We'll have photos and more from Tuesday's practice later today, so stay tuned. And feel free to ask questions; if I can answer them, I will, and if I can't, I'll get the answer tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News