ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Recruiting

Really? Why would they? If you can get 4 years tuition, room and board, meals for going to practice?

Well obviously many go to schools with lesser athletic competition and still get those things. Pretty sure everyone understands that.

And I'm sure many just don't want to put the work in even in spite of that. It's easy for you and I to say so and so should wake up early every morning to run, lift, play through injuries, and get an ass kicking every day.

Those non rev sports are a complete 180 from football and men’s basketball in every way. The most significant way being that those are the sports Pitt believes is politically acceptable to be in, so Pitt actually supports their attempts to be excellent. It certainly also helps that the better coaches and recruits for those sports don’t cost a fraction as much to obtain.

Pitt hates needing to have football, but it pays the bills for the sports it loves to have.
Unfortunately Pitt still gets the money for having football no matter how bad the team is. It takes paying (not just an average salary for the HC, but all coaches, for top recruiting, aka sleazy unethical ones, and complete willingness to unleash boosters). Pitt haters all that too and as was posted above, hasn’t permitted it since the 80s. So guess what, we’ve sucked since the 80s. Pretty easy equation to solve. And since the ACC still gives us our full check, it’s great. For now, of course. The day of reckoning is coming for all the college football programs that operate with the Pittsburgh Pirates business model.
Complete nonsense. Pitt hates football so much that it pays Narduzzi one of the top 30 salaries in the game.

Well obviously many go to schools with lesser athletic competition and still get those things. Pretty sure everyone understands that.

And I'm sure many just don't want to put the work in even in spite of that. It's easy for you and I to say so and so should wake up early every morning to run, lift, play through injuries, and get an ass kicking every day.
Maybe? If you can get full tuition somewhere where you can compete, that's great. but getting up to run and lift and practice to me anyways, is worth not having 6 figures of debt when I leave school.

You can have higher academic standards, FOR THE REAL STUDENTS, they can all have 1500 SATs all 19900 of them, then the 100-150 football and basketball players can average 800, it won't lower the overall average :)
None of the good transfers aren’t getting turned down because their freaking credits aren’t getting counted, whether by Pitt (or Penn State or anyone else). Academic supremacy BS that a team tries to cop when it stinks is just that…BS.

Transfers and prep recruits of any worth come with hefty price tags. Their number of their school credits or their GPA are decidedly not on those tags. The only hope of negating a $$$ disadvantage is for us to (cue the laugh track here) have a brilliant coach / coordinators and exciting, dynamic, high scoring or (less a factor these days) brutal hitting styles of play. Or possibly other, more, ahem, perks of the flesh.

Complete nonsense. Pitt hates football so much that it pays Narduzzi one of the top 30 salaries in the game.
Wasting money doesn't necessarily mean caring your government proves that everyday. Mr Naivete

Pitt pays a solid salary, nothing special, to its HC.

It’s the bare minimum to be on the gravy train.

Next, you need to pay to get World class coordinators, or at least an OC. We probably pay Cignetti decently, but he’s more like Third-World Class.

And it’s not even paying these guys, it is being willing, if not outright desperate, to FIRE these guys when their are spiraling, meaning, the willingness to eat much of the contract.

Will that happen with Cignetti this season? It needs to. But will it?

If after another disastrous offseason of bad recruiting and then a 3-9 or so next season, will we be willing to fire Narduzzi? We’ll need to. But will we?

Pitt allowed Stallings to all but completely destroy the basketball program before grudgingly releasing him. But, unwilling to spend what was needed to do it, went after him on some trumped up legal thing. (Make no mistake Stallings was a fraud and an a$$hole, and I hope they succeeded in fleecing him… but the point was, they weren’t just going to eliminate a terrible mistake on terrible performance alone).

But that’s only the necessary spending needed on COACHES that Pitt won’t do, beyond basic HC salary.

It’s been irrefutably documented in this thread (and everywhere else) that massive spending on recruits, specifically transfers, is what is vitally needed to recover from a downward spiral. Will Pitt support its boosters doing this? It needs to. But will we?

The willingness or lack thereof for these things will determine success (or lack thereof) depends on these decisions, not merely paying a salary to the HC

The marketing tactics (lack thereof, specifically) of Alliance 412 aren't doing us any favors. They put a plea, through Chris, out on the pay board because membership was low. Still don't see anything on the free board.

Not sure if they'd be allowed to announce it at games, also, but they certainly need to if they can. I imagine the school can't outright endorse it, but make people realize it's legit, at least... oh, and make them realize it exists.

Obviously it's the bigger donors who matter the most, but Michigan State just folded their NIL because those guys said, "Alright, F it; if you don't care then we don't either." They had less than 100 donors. No idea how many we have, but I'm guessing it ain't all that impressive.

I mean, this stuff isn't allowed to come from the school itself so it's not Pitt being cheap in this instance. It's downright retarded that fans have to pay players to play football in 2023, but it's where we are... and Pitt ain't gonna win many of these battles if people don't pony up.

The marketing tactics (lack thereof, specifically) of Alliance 412 aren't doing us any favors. They put a plea, through Chris, out on the pay board because membership was low. Still don't see anything on the free board.

Not sure if they'd be allowed to announce it at games, also, but they certainly need to if they can. I imagine the school can't outright endorse it, but make people realize it's legit, at least... oh, and make them realize it exists.

Obviously it's the bigger donors who matter the most, but Michigan State just folded their NIL because those guys said, "Alright, F it; if you don't care then we don't either." They had less than 100 donors. No idea how many we have, but I'm guessing it ain't all that impressive.

I mean, this stuff isn't allowed to come from the school itself so it's not Pitt being cheap in this instance. It's downright retarded that fans have to pay players to play football in 2023, but it's where we are... and Pitt ain't gonna win many of these battles if people don't pony up.
Pitt’s menacing eye over boosters, going way back to squashing the GP back in the 80s, has been the biggest factor discouraging buy-in to any NIL that Pitt ‘endorses’. “You need to give it to everyone,” or “the girls have to be given what the guys get,” etc. and it can’t be too much … and can’t be obvious Pay for play (that’s, gasp, illegal!).

And any unilateral attempts for a separate NIL entity that actually seeks to put up enough (aka, a boatload) of coin to bring in truly meaningful football recruits would likely get the stink eye.

As usual we handle this all wrong

Pitt pays a solid salary, nothing special, to its HC.

It’s the bare minimum to be on the gravy train.

Next, you need to pay to get World class coordinators, or at least an OC. We probably pay Cignetti decently, but he’s more like Third-World Class.

And it’s not even paying these guys, it is being willing, if not outright desperate, to FIRE these guys when their are spiraling, meaning, the willingness to eat much of the contract.

Will that happen with Cignetti this season? It needs to. But will it?

If after another disastrous offseason of bad recruiting and then a 3-9 or so next season, will we be willing to fire Narduzzi? We’ll need to. But will we?

Pitt allowed Stallings to all but completely destroy the basketball program before grudgingly releasing him. But, unwilling to spend what was needed to do it, went after him on some trumped up legal thing. (Make no mistake Stallings was a fraud and an a$$hole, and I hope they succeeded in fleecing him… but the point was, they weren’t just going to eliminate a terrible mistake on terrible performance alone).

But that’s only the necessary spending needed on COACHES that Pitt won’t do, beyond basic HC salary.

It’s been irrefutably documented in this thread (and everywhere else) that massive spending on recruits, specifically transfers, is what is vitally needed to recover from a downward spiral. Will Pitt support its boosters doing this? It needs to. But will we?

The willingness or lack thereof for these things will determine success (or lack thereof) depends on these decisions, not merely paying a salary to the HC
Its more than Prime. more than Sarkisian, more than Mack Brown, more than 70 others.

The rest of the staff is up to Narduzzi to hire and fire. It isn't Pitt's call. Assistants don't have long-term contracts.

No school is allowed to spend on recruits. You're sadly mistaken if you think that.

Reactions: pittdan77
Pitt’s menacing eye over boosters, going way back to squashing the GP back in the 80s, has been the biggest factor discouraging buy-in to any NIL that Pitt ‘endorses’. “You need to give it to everyone,” or “the girls have to be given what the guys get,” etc. and it can’t be too much … and can’t be obvious Pay for play (that’s, gasp, illegal!).

And any unilateral attempts for a separate NIL entity that actually seeks to put up enough (aka, a boatload) of coin to bring in truly meaningful football recruits would likely get the stink eye.

As usual we handle this all wrong
What is your source for Pitt saying no to NIL efforts? You just want to shift the blame from where it lies - the fans.

They do announce it at games and seem to at least be trying, which only started last month after not trying the first 2 years so I donated. But my donation isnt going to make a difference. They need the 1 percenters donating 100K/year to this thing. Or Pitt needs to be really proactive by funding it themselves. What's the NCAA going to do? Send us all 10K Alliance 412 gift cards. I am just spitballing here but we all knew Pitt was going to have major issues with this. They need to really think outside the box.

We know where this is at. We as fans have to pay these players and even though that is stupid AF, Pitt needs to help with this somehow because our fans are also Steelers and Pens fans whose whole existence isnt defined by Pitt's record like at other places.

You mean like when Pitt hired Haywood? Or were you thinking Stallings ?
Really? You're back to those days?

Haywood was a desperation hire and his salary was not representative of Pitt caring at all. Stallings was a uniquely bad situation cooked up by his buddy AD.

Pitt now has a top-notch AD and the school supports her and the football team.

Keep your eye on the present - which is what we're talking about - and keep your negativity away from your conclusions for once.

They do announce it at games and seem to at least be trying, which only started last month after not trying the first 2 years so I donated. But my donation isnt going to make a difference. They need the 1 percenters donating 100K/year to this thing. Or Pitt needs to be really proactive by funding it themselves. What's the NCAA going to do? Send us all 10K Alliance 412 gift cards. I am just spitballing here but we all knew Pitt was going to have major issues with this. They need to really think outside the box.

We know where this is at. We as fans have to pay these players and even though that is stupid AF, Pitt needs to help with this somehow because our fans are also Steelers and Pens fans whose whole existence isnt defined by Pitt's record like at other places.

Do they really? I don't recall seeing it at all. Unless it was one of those stupid things on the jumbotron where someone from the volleyball team starts talking... then someone from the soccer team... etc.... then I just zone out before I even see what they're talking about.

Do they really? I don't recall seeing it at all. Unless it was one of those stupid things on the jumbotron where someone from the volleyball team starts talking... then someone from the soccer team... etc.... then I just zone out before I even see what they're talking about.

Its a quick ad during a TO. WVU did it too. Pitt has to hammer it though. Every TO. Every on-field event. Every guest player presented by Alliance 412. Emails every day. They are doing the minimum now. Before they were doing nothing.

Haywood was a desperation hire and his salary was not representative of Pitt caring at all. Stallings was a uniquely bad situation cooked up by his buddy AD.

Keep your eye on the present - which is what we're talking about - and keep your negativity away from your conclusions for

Keep your eye on the present - which is what we're talking about - and keep your negativity away from your conclusions for once.
You previously said private entities watched their money closely I point out the fallacy and that makes me negative. You contradict yourself constantly and refuse to face facts. That's certainly you're right to be delusional but I choose not to so I'm negative. Lol 😆 Enjoy your reality Mr 🌞

LOL they do ram those alt-sports down the throat all through the game. To the extent you might easily tune out something important.

What they SHOULD do is show a bit that first features clips of our most recent stars in action, the kinds they show in those flashy intro videos, the ones of Fitz, Shady, Boyd, Donald, Kancey, Pickett et al making great plays … revving up the crowd … showing great play after great play … then suddenly fade the screen to black and play the sound effect of the needle being pulled off a vinyl record … with the stark text, screen by screen:

“Did you like those moments?”

“Did you like those players?”

“Do you ever want to see more players like them again?”

“In OUR uniforms?”

“Well, you better join and give generously to 412 Alliance then. If you don’t, then …”

(Then, a clip of some of the lowlights from this season so far. Then…)

“Just sayin’”

You previously said private entities watched their money closely I point out the fallacy and that makes me negative. You contradict yourself constantly and refuse to face facts. That's certainly you're right to be delusional but I choose not to so I'm negative. Lol 😆 Enjoy your reality Mr 🌞
Hiring what ultimately turned out to bad coaches doesn't represent a waste of money in the way govt wastes money. If you see the difference, I can't help you overcome your negativity.

Those are the last five transfer classes. During these five years, we have had 19 players drafted into the NFL. Wanna guess how many of them came from the transfer portal? You got it - zero.
If you’re expecting to get NFL draft picks in the portal, you’re going to be disappointed. Most players are transferring up a level for more recognition, down a level for playing time, closer to home, or because they graduated and are being replaced by a freshman. As you mentioned later in your post, some of the transfers on your list were fine college players. That should be the expectation. You get transfers to fill roster holes where you need some experience. You’re rarely going to hit a home run. Especially on kids with minimal remaining eligibility.

Hiring what ultimately turned out to bad coaches doesn't represent a waste of money in the way govt wastes money. If you see the difference, I can't help you overcome your negativity.
Nor can I help you overcome your disregard of reality. And your judgement of me is comical since as you point out to others in regards to yourself you don't know me. Enjoy your delusions

Recruiting is more complicated than how much NIL you can throw at a kid. You still have to find a fit for how you choose to play the game and you have to have the tools to let the kid become successful in your program in order to win. Even if you have all of that at Pitt, you still have obstacles with geography and perception, not to mention that there is a ton of inertia to overcome with the perception of boosters.

Doesn't matter what you think of Narduzzi, whenever he is done here Pitt can overcome much of what is ailing it by making a splash hire and learn to accept what comes with that. That, or a bunch of alumni with really deep pockets exert some influence what happens beyond Duzz. Or it won't and it is what it is. This is our reality.

Recruiting is more complicated than how much NIL you can throw at a kid. You still have to find a fit for how you choose to play the game and you have to have the tools to let the kid become successful in your program in order to win. Even if you have all of that at Pitt, you still have obstacles with geography and perception, not to mention that there is a ton of inertia to overcome with the perception of boosters.

Doesn't matter what you think of Narduzzi, whenever he is done here Pitt can overcome much of what is ailing it by making a splash hire and learn to accept what comes with that. That, or a bunch of alumni with really deep pockets exert some influence what happens beyond Duzz. Or it won't and it is what it is. This is our reality.
Some good points. But they create new points/follow ups…

Mainly, can we succeed even to the level of 2021 with Duz? Or even without him?

As you said, it isn’t merely about money, but if you don’t have the money, you need to ‘win’ players (prep and transfer alike) on the other things.

A lot of them, such as geography and on campus facility etc, we aren’t going to change.

As far as things like atmosphere … We only will ever have impressive crowds UNTIL we win regularly, yet it’s hard to win regularly unless we have impressive crowds…a paradox. Likely unsolvable.

We need the kind of players who just don’t care about those things at all. Unfortunately many do.

So about all we CAN control is a ‘splash’ coach. Duz has definitely had good moments, I personally like him as HC, he fits us well … but to recruits, it doesn’t seem that way.

But his contract is huge, so we look stuck, unless he himself is willing to move on. But his appeal as a candidate for a better job than ours looks to have passed as well.

So… so, I don’t know what else there is

Some good points. But they create new points/follow ups…

Mainly, can we succeed even to the level of 2021 with Duz? Or even without him?

As you said, it isn’t merely about money, but if you don’t have the money, you need to ‘win’ players (prep and transfer alike) on the other things.

A lot of them, such as geography and on campus facility etc, we aren’t going to change.

As far as things like atmosphere … We only will ever have impressive crowds UNTIL we win regularly, yet it’s hard to win regularly unless we have impressive crowds…a paradox. Likely unsolvable.

We need the kind of players who just don’t care about those things at all. Unfortunately many do.

So about all we CAN control is a ‘splash’ coach. Duz has definitely had good moments, I personally like him as HC, he fits us well … but to recruits, it doesn’t seem that way.

But his contract is huge, so we look stuck, unless he himself is willing to move on. But his appeal as a candidate for a better job than ours looks to have passed as well.

So… so, I don’t know what else there is

The unpleasant truth is that we weren't even all that good in 2021. Relative to who we played, sure. But we were ACC good in a year when the conference was down even by its own lousy standards. And that's not to say that there even are more than 5 - 8 legitimately good teams in any given season. There usually aren't. But we'll all be talking about that team for years to come, and rightfully so, when the reality is it couldn't have came within two or three touchdowns of some of the teams Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Ohio State, etc. have produced over the last however many years.

Reactions: Schaef60
The unpleasant truth is that we weren't even all that good in 2021. Relative to who we played, sure. But we were ACC good in a year when the conference was down even by its own lousy standards. And that's not to say that there even are more than 5 - 8 legitimately good teams in any given season. There usually aren't. But we'll all be talking about that team for years to come, and rightfully so, when the reality is it couldn't have came within two or three touchdowns of some of the teams Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Ohio State, etc. have produced over the last however many years.
That’s sadly true. 2021 was a decent season, possibly even a disappointing one, for many programs. For ours it was the high point of 35 years. Which, more than anything, likely says much in just a couple words

Nor can I help you overcome your disregard of reality. And your judgement of me is comical since as you point out to others in regards to yourself you don't know me. Enjoy your delusions
I give up.

I can't possibly overcome your beliefs that Pitt has no hope, the school hasn't cared sine the 80's and Narduzzi sucks.

I give up.

I can't possibly overcome your beliefs that Pitt has no hope, the school hasn't cared sine the 80's and Narduzzi sucks.
Now you're fabricating. I never said Pitt has no hope or haven't cared since the 80's. So in addition to being delusional you make things up. Are you the Big Guy?

Michigan State just folded their NIL because those guys said, "Alright, F it; if you don't care then we don't either." They had less than 100 donors. No idea how many we have, but I'm guessing it ain't all that impressive.
That’s not an accurate statement. Their NIL is run by 2 alumni. One is an investment mogul and the other is a real-estate developer both worth millions. They did fold it, they suspended it to all but 4 guy. They didn’t want to pay kids that very well might be transferring.

That’s not an accurate statement. Their NIL is run by 2 alumni. One is an investment mogul and the other is a real-estate developer both worth millions. They did fold it, they suspended it to all but 4 guy. They didn’t want to pay kids that very well might be transferring.

I'm sure that's a factor as well. But there was plenty of talk about "failure to reach growth projections."

Here's an article on it:

https://www.si.com/college/michigan...gs 4 Life then,of its projected growth models.

Along with the quote:

"We cannot sustain a model that is only funded by a few individuals who deserve our appreciation for supporting SD4L for two full seasons," the update continued. "Spartan Nation — it's up to you! We are calling all Spartans to step up and enroll now, as we prepare for the next chapter of supporting Spartan student-athletes... Enroll now!"

I'm sure that's a factor as well. But there was plenty of talk about "failure to reach growth projections."

Here's an article on it:

https://www.si.com/college/michiganstate/football/michigan-state-spartans-official-nil-brand-sd4l-cancelling-deals-with-dozens-of-football-players-msu-093023#:~:text=Spartan Dawgs 4 Life then,of its projected growth models.

Along with the quote:

"We cannot sustain a model that is only funded by a few individuals who deserve our appreciation for supporting SD4L for two full seasons," the update continued. "Spartan Nation — it's up to you! We are calling all Spartans to step up and enroll now, as we prepare for the next chapter of supporting Spartan student-athletes... Enroll now!"
Well I stand corrected I didn’t know that

Pitt isn’t going to win the battles because their fans are cheap.

Pitt isn’t going to win the battles because their fans are cheap.
How much should fans be willing to spend on sports entertainment, a football team, per year? Tickets? How much more? Should everyone who roots for Pitt spend $1000 donating to NIL?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT