ADVERTISEMENT

Trout Fishing

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
Surprised to see Governor Wolf and Physician General Cousin It allowing it to go on...

While in principle I agree it sure seems like their could be a lot of other closed down activities and businesses (golf courses with only walkers for one) that could be up an running with minimal risk.

I know trout fishing seems like an isolated spread out activity but there are a lot of locales with lakes, dams etc. that have the shoulder to shoulder deal. We had a bunch of knuckleheads in my area doing exactly that.

Moving it up a few weeks seems like a decent approach to thin the crowds a little.

Would there have been a negative impact on streams had trout season been cancelled? I know nothing about fishing.

I'm not allowed to golf and I'm okay with that. I was asked to sign a petition to reopen golf courses and I declined. Just because I want to do something doesn't mean I should be doing it. I have to assume the people making these decisions know a lot more than I do.

Then I hear that people are fishing. Fishing may be marginally safer than golf, but not enough that one should be allowed and the other not. Please be consistent. Hopefully it's not just a matter of the state selling fishing licenses but not golf licenses.

Opening day in PA is wall-to-wall people. Completely overcrowded.

Yeah opening day is to crowded I fish but I won't go the first few days simply because I fish for piece and quite as much as anything. After the first week the only real way the virus is spread would be people fueling up or going to the store to purchase bait/supplies. Your not spreading the virus in the actual act of fishing after the first few days

0*GzZNkReKdxBLpL-r.jpg

I think overcrowding is why they did the surprise opening day. Smart. I want to fish alone. I never had a problem doing that so I do understand the difference with golf.

I actually enjoy playing golf alone almost as much as with friends. I like to tee off at sunrise during the week and walk the back nine, get some practice/exercise before work. I wish they would allow singles or twosomes, walking only.

Reactions: pittdan77
I'm not allowed to golf and I'm okay with that. I was asked to sign a petition to reopen golf courses and I declined. Just because I want to do something doesn't mean I should be doing it. I have to assume the people making these decisions know a lot more than I do.

Then I hear that people are fishing. Fishing may be marginally safer than golf, but not enough that one should be allowed and the other not. Please be consistent. Hopefully it's not just a matter of the state selling fishing licenses but not golf licenses.
Don’t give them any ideas.

Reactions: JS School
Make sure the fishermen stay six feet from the trout as well. This should not be a problem for most of them!

I am not a fisherman. So I don't know the environmental aspects of holding it or not holding it. But I would think if you can have fishing with as much enforcement of social distancing, you can play golf with things like:
- Limited number of people
- 1 per cart or only 2 somes walking
- staggered tee times if necessary
- Raised cups (no hole)
- No 19th hole
- No locker room for country clubs.

I think that would allow people to golf to have adequate spacing and would no more of a threat that joggers in a park or fishing.

I am not a fisherman. So I don't know the environmental aspects of holding it or not holding it. But I would think if you can have fishing with as much enforcement of social distancing, you can play golf with things like:
- Raised cups (no hole)
- No 19th hole

I think that would allow people to golf to have adequate spacing and would no more of a threat that joggers in a park or fishing.
None really
The streams and lakes are artificially stocked

absolutely no carts.
Let the old dudes actually get some exercise

Reactions: Dan1911
I do believe that at $22.90 a pop (and I do know that there are other types of licenses available for different amounts, but this is the rate that most will pay), the State of Pennsylvania stands to make quite a bit of money. Compare that with the amount the state gains in taxes from those golfing, no wonder they allowed fishing.
If fishing is allowed, then golfing should absolutely be allowed.

- Raised cups (no hole)
- No 19th hole

Judge Smails Pleased!!

No, he has a good point.

No, he doesn't. As an activity fishing is much more like golf than it is grocery shopping.

Although it has been a while since I've been fishing. Do they have checkout counters at the streams now? How long does it usually take from the time you tell the clerk behind the counter what you want to get your fish?

I signed the petition to open the golf courses.
Golf is as safe as being at home, in your home. Maybe safer than being at home if you go outside, walk around the block or talk with neighbors at the end of their driveways as you walk.

Here's the golf process that will be deployed.

1. Call the course get a t time, pay over the telephone, if you use a cart it will be waiting for you near the first tee which you will ID by the cart #.

2. One person in a cart which makes no sense for spouses or those who live together so I'm sure that will change.

3. Maintain distance on tees.

4. Cups are raised 1/4-1/2 inch, flags are pulled ( for those of you in Pittsburgh that means no flags), play to the green, putt to the raised cup the ball bounces off the raised cup. Most courses paint the cups white so they will be visible. A lot are using the down time to re-paint cups not knowing how long this process will be required.

I played to raised cups last week it works great considering the situation.
Most can see the white part of the raised cup from 100 - 120 yards out if the terrain is flat.
If you cant just play to the middle of the green the cup cant be far away. Actually many pros teach that to mid handicappers -play to the middle of the green- the pin wont be far away and as you get better you can pin hunt.

At this point golfers just want to get out and hit the ball.

5. Maintain distances on fairways and rough.

6. Golf courses naturally create separation of 100's of yards due to the nature of the game.

7. Drop you stuff off at your car.

8. Leave the cart in front of the club house.

9. Walk directly to your car and go home.

Golf courses have spray washers, so they'll wash and disinfect the carts with the spray washers.

Thats was less interaction and more separation from others than a walk in the neighborhood or park.

I'm glad they opened up for trout fishing. Opening day could be a problem but it thins out real quick after that. Most people find Their place in the woods where they fish, and the shoulder to shoulder dam or hole fishing dies down.
Lots of people fly fish which creates a natural separation.

Good activities to phase in!
A high percentage of fisherpeople like my wife and I fish in a single or two person kayak.
Even in a two person kayak which is almost 14ft the kayak-ers have ample separation.

But we're husband and wife so when we get home we'll be doing all kinds of things that will require no separation.

Last edited:
No, he doesn't. As an activity fishing is much more like golf than it is grocery shopping.

Although it has been a while since I've been fishing. Do they have checkout counters at the streams now? How long does it usually take from the time you tell the clerk behind the counter what you want to get your fish?

I’ve done both and I have noticed zero similarities. I’m also guessing you had a couple before you wrote that second paragraph.

Don’t get me wrong, I couldn’t care less about golf and whether they open the courses. Just know what it’s like to need to hunt and fish for more than just sport.

Surprised to see Governor Wolf and Physician General Cousin It allowing it to go on...

While in principle I agree it sure seems like their could be a lot of other closed down activities and businesses (golf courses with only walkers for one) that could be up an running with minimal risk.

I know trout fishing seems like an isolated spread out activity but there are a lot of locales with lakes, dams etc. that have the shoulder to shoulder deal. We had a bunch of knuckleheads in my area doing exactly that.
The intent of the stay at home order goes way beyond just prohibiting close contact between people in places like golf courses or popular fishing holes. Everyone who’s going to golf, fish, etc has to get gas at a gas station, buy food, take money from ATMs, use bathroom facilities, etc. The more people do such things, the more they expose themselves and others to infection.

unless the trout steam or golf course is in your backyard; stay home and do your part. It’s pretty simple stuff and not a difficult rule to follow. There’s a bigger picture here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT