ADVERTISEMENT

Two certainties......

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
Pitt fans thinking they are the equal to Penn state in football are all in their 50's or older, more like 60's and older.

Penn State grads thinking they are a superior academic school are all in their 50's or older, more like 60's and older.

Because neither view reflects current reality.

Reactions: tps48
Nobody on this board except for maybe JoeyDavid and three or four others thinks we're superior to Penn State in football. There's a difference between being superior and not getting any top WPIAL talent, as we have in the past.

Pitt fans thinking they are the equal to Penn state in football are all in their 50's or older, more like 60's and older.

Penn State grads thinking they are a superior academic school are all in their 50's or older, more like 60's and older.

I'm not convinced PSU is that much superior. They've gone 7-2 in conference two years in a row, but were 8-10 in conference the two years before that--and we won a conference title one of those years, so arguably just a couple years ago we were the clear superior program at that moment.

Is their football program sitting in a better spot at this very time? I'd say yes. But I don't think the gap is all that great. Obviously, 2024 could say a lot. Will PSU take the next step, especially in this re-imagined Big 10 and with Harbaugh out of the way? Will Pitt repeat last year's disappointment? Time will tell. Both programs just canned their OCs. Penn State lost its DC, so there could be a learning curve with the new guy coming in.

Did the academic thing ever reflect reality? I'm not sure that it did, USNWR rankings notwithstanding.

does anyone really give a S about academic superiority?

At this point in my life, not that much. There was a time though. As a proud Pitt grad, hearing that a PSU degree was better pissed me off. Especially because it was usually someone who didn't go to either school saying it. I had a guy that I used to work with constantly throw that in my face. He was from some school called Moravian that no one except the chancellor's mom has ever even heard of. And he was from New Jersey. Total PSU bandwagoner.

does anyone really give a S about academic superiority?
Exactly, I hate when Pitt has a bad season in football or basketball and someone rushes here eagerly to post something about some academic award or ranking to defect from sucking in sports, as if that makes up for the bad football or basketball we just witnessed, it doesn't!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT