ADVERTISEMENT

Twyman hits 40 reps

May 6, 2017
Awesome performance but interestingly this might be the last year of the bench and the 40 from what I've heard.

A couple of reasons why is that NFL teams think the 225 test has always been a poor test (100% agree) of upper body strength. But, trainers are now hip on how to inflate the #'s through specific testing that doesn't really carryover to actual games. Some see it as an artificial measure of strength.

The 40 is going to be replaced by GPS systems and already has by many teams. They measure peak game speed as well as average speed over the course of a game/season/etc.... Again, they want real life measurements and not artificial ones.

They're definitely not the greatest measurements, but 40 reps is still a hell of a lot no matter how you slice it. Looks like he's up to 301 and totally jacked. I'm wondering if he could thrive in the middle of a 3-4. He's about the same size as the last two guys who played there for the Steelers. I wouldn't mind scooping him up in the 3rd if he's still available (which might be doubtful), though I typically hate the "Steelers should take every Pitt guy" cliches. He's probably more of a 4-3 interior guy, though. Regardless, it's time to rebuild both lines.

They're definitely not the greatest measurements, but 40 reps is still a hell of a lot no matter how you slice it. Looks like he's up to 301 and totally jacked. I'm wondering if he could thrive in the middle of a 3-4. He's about the same size as the last two guys who played there for the Steelers. I wouldn't mind scooping him up in the 3rd if he's still available (which might be doubtful), though I typically hate the "Steelers should take every Pitt guy" cliches. He's probably more of a 4-3 interior guy, though. Regardless, it's time to rebuild both lines.
I don't think he's a good enough run defender to ever be a true nose tackle. I see him as sub-package pass rushing 3 technique. He got pushed around by teams with strong interior O lines like Boston College. Even Eastern Michigan was running it right at him. He seems like a really hard worker, so I wouldn't be totally opposed to taking a chance on him in the 3rd round, but I don't see the Steelers as the right fit.

Reactions: bwh05
I don't think he's a good enough run defender to ever be a true nose tackle. I see him as sub-package pass rushing 3 technique. He got pushed around by teams with strong interior O lines like Boston College. Even Eastern Michigan was running it right at him. He seems like a really hard worker, so I wouldn't be totally opposed to taking a chance on him in the 3rd round, but I don't see the Steelers as the right fit.

That could also be part of how Pitt had him playing the position. Nearly half the league is throwing 60% of the time or more. There are teams from pass-happy divisions that will want a guy like Twyman.

I think he was playing around 280 or 285, so I'm not sure how much the extra 20 pounds or so would benefit him against the run. Probably more of a 4-3 guy, though. I'm guessing. It's a shame we couldn't have gotten one more year out of him at Pitt.

I think Twyman, Jones, Weaver, and Morrissey would all be great fits for the Steelers. I see Twyman in the Hargrave role. Weaver and Jones would both thrive opposite of Watt and even with Highsmith, the Steelers could use three capable pass rushers.

But were the Pitt guys running in quicksand? Twyman's and Ford's 40 times were atrocious.

I think Twyman, Jones, Weaver, and Morrissey would all be great fits for the Steelers. I see Twyman in the Hargrave role. Weaver and Jones would both thrive opposite of Watt and even with Highsmith, the Steelers could use three capable pass rushers.

But were the Pitt guys running in quicksand? Twyman's and Ford's 40 times were atrocious.
Neither Twyman or Ford will be a pro!!!!

Neither Twyman or Ford will be a pro!!!!

Well I ain't so sure about that. However there's no way Ford gets drafted with one of the lowest RAS scores in NFL draft history, and Twyman is now a late round pick at best IMO.

Those 40 times are wrong. I ran a 4.9 when I was in 8th grade. They either set up the distance too long or the clock started late.

I’ve seen Ford every game show some serious speed as he perused and made a tackle. His game speed and hitting matter. That time doesn’t seem accurate at all.

He's very strong in the upper body but he's also had an entire year to prepare for this day where the other guys have been doing programming exclusive to actual football.

Wow you are really trying hard to discredit Twyman 😂😂

It a super positive thing and he looks like he is following ADs path. Be happy bro

I remember how we heard here that AD wouldn't be a good fit for the Steelers, either.

Ford doesn’t have a large frame. He tried to add weight, but it ended up slowing him down. He would have benefited from a professional training program. Ford has potential, but quite a few people overhyped him.

Reactions: PITT/CTOWN
I remember how we heard here that AD wouldn't be a good fit for the Steelers, either.

Why would the Steelers ever have been interested in AD as a 2 gap zero tech?

If the Steelers ran a 1 gap even front - sure.

It's kind of like asking why Bill Walsh wouldn't draft an option qb in his west coast offense.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Why would the Steelers ever have been interested in AD as a 2 gap zero tech?

If the Steelers ran a 1 gap even front - sure.

It's kind of like asking why Bill Walsh wouldn't draft an option qb in his west coast offense.

Good coaches figure out how to help talent be successful. I.e. see Wade Phillips.

Ford’s measurables are bad enough, the bigger problem is his performance basically shows teams he doesn’t really give a shit or he would’ve prepared better.

He’ll still get a chance to prove himself, but now instead of a 3rd-4th round pick it will either be a 7th rounder or a UFA.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Why didn't Dick LeBeau ever go after 1 gap undersized DL?

How come Tony Dungy went after undersized 1 gap DL?

I think you’re correct in the pure scheme, but with all due respect that has changed a bit since LeBeau and Dungy were in their prime. With the amount of time that teams spend in sub packages, the lines have blurred a bit. Those Casey Hampton behemoths are the guys that get rotated out. The last two Steeler nose tackles were a lot lighter and more toward the athletic type. I’m also not sure AD would fill that role full time, but I’m sure he could move around in a 3-4 like he did in LA and under Graham at Pitt.

Wow you are really trying hard to discredit Twyman 😂😂

It a super positive thing and he looks like he is following ADs path. Be happy bro

Not trying to discredit him. He's an ox in the strength department and a really good ball player. But, the only thing he and AD have in common is they play the same position and they're relatively short.
I think he's got a shot to stick in the league for many years.

I think you’re correct in the pure scheme, but with all due respect that has changed a bit since LeBeau and Dungy were in their prime. With the amount of time that teams spend in sub packages, the lines have blurred a bit. Those Casey Hampton behemoths are the guys that get rotated out. The last two Steeler nose tackles were a lot lighter and more toward the athletic type. I’m also not sure AD would fill that role full time, but I’m sure he could move around in a 3-4 like he did in LA and under Graham at Pitt.

I totally get it that you can use sub packages and they're in use more than ever. However, I see no use in basing out of 2 gap system if you don't draft those players. You don't draft the prototype 1 gap player unless you're converting your defense to that scheme. However, I have seen Dom Capers run a hybrid 3-4 scheme that didn't place as much emphasis on 2 gapping but it was short lived.

The college guys who are running base 3 man fronts like Bama, Georgia, and Iowa State have gotten smaller up front. Bama's front 3 has drastically changed in size since they lost to OSU in the NC. However, they still 2 gap and create the pressure with the backers/edge guys. This is where I still don't see the use of using a Ferrari like AD to just be a stunt guy. When you have AD's skills inside you just let him go and force the double team by his ability and not by him having to take 2 gaps by assignment.

If AD were to play the 5 tech like he did under Fraud, I think he could be pretty good in the NFL but in no way would I think he would be the game changer he is playing inside. Having such an athletic marvel near the ball is much harder to defend and account for.

Not trying to discredit him. He's an ox in the strength department and a really good ball player. But, the only thing he and AD have in common is they play the same position and they're relatively short.
I think he's got a shot to stick in the league for many years.
And massive production while playing

This aged well.
Well both were projected as 2nd or 3rd rd picks and one quit before the year and the other 1/2 way thru leading to dropping at least 3 rounds and the other going undrafted.

32 UFAs made roster last year do Paris odds are slim. Twyman might make it but I wouldn’t put too much money on him making it a year or two either. For every Tom Brady in the 6th rd, there are 900 that aren’t.

Well both were projected as 2nd or 3rd rd picks and one quit before the year and the other 1/2 way thru leading to dropping at least 3 rounds and the other going undrafted.

32 UFAs made roster last year do Paris odds are slim. Twyman might make it but I wouldn’t put too much money on him making it a year or two either. For every Tom Brady in the 6th rd, there are 900 that aren’t.
Make no mistake, not having production this past year definitely hurt Twyman but his athleticism and height at the pro day absolutely killed him. Another great season could have helped them ignore just how slow he was, but he he only put up above really average numbers in bench and vert. This chart shows how he performed against other interior lineman in the last 2 decades, keep in mind this was at a pro day as well which usually gives better results than the combine.

For comparison, here was Donald's results

Make no mistake, not having production this past year definitely hurt Twyman but his athleticism and height at the pro day absolutely killed him. Another great season could have helped them ignore just how slow he was, but he he only put up above really average numbers in bench and vert. This chart shows how he performed against other interior lineman in the last 2 decades, keep in mind this was at a pro day as well which usually gives better results than the combine.

For comparison, here was Donald's results
I think comparing anyone to Aaron Donald is not fair or even a good comparison.

But I think Truman will have his chance to prove himself soon. And maybe real life will play out better than on paper or in speculation.

I think comparing anyone to Aaron Donald is not fair or even a good comparison.

But I think Truman will have his chance to prove himself soon. And maybe real life will play out better than on paper or in speculation.
True, probably not the best person to compare to make a point. So instead I'll say that none of the 5 DTs taken in rounds 2 & 3 (None went in round 1) ran slower than 5.00 in the 40 and Twyman ran a 5.4. The only 2 drafted tackles that ran slower than Twyman weighed 330lbs(5.48) and 350lbs(5.41) compared to Twyman's 302.

Here are the first 4 taken

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT