ADVERTISEMENT

UConn to the Big 12?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I hesitate to post this because the source is that Baylor Student/B12 propagandist and he's one of those B12 fake news people like Greg Swaim and The Dude. But if an actual news station feels this is newsworthy, I thought what the heck, post it here for discussion. I mean the Big 12 had added IUP, West Chester, and Millersville. Would it be THAT shocking if they added UConn? They'd take anyone and folks here are worrying we would get left out of an 80 team Big 12?

I wouldn’t be shocked if UConn got an invite to the Big 12, but I would be shocked if these guys had any inside scoop.

I wouldn’t be shocked if UConn got an invite to the Big 12, but I would be shocked if these guys had any inside scoop.

Yea. I doubt they do. Probably shouldn't have posted it because this Baylor student is a complete moron but idiots believe him when he completely makes stuff up. Its incredible that any college student can make a youtube channel and say the B12 is adding every team in America and people believe him.

This dude and Greg Swaim put out B12 expansion rumors weekly so eventually they have to hit on one of them just as a broken clock is right twice a day.

UConn has been reported three times the past two years to the Big 12. Now again? Give me a break.

I could see it because the big12 has done a great job branding in basketball. They know they will never be kings in football so they accept 3rd or 4th best football conference with hopes of being #1 in basketball. They obviously game the system to some degree but their league is very good for basketball.

Big 12 is looking at Alaska Anchorage, McGill U and Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico.

Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico is a great example of what college football should be. They have a famous pro soccer team. Its run 100% as a pro team but affiliated with the university.

I could see it because the big12 has done a great job branding in basketball. They know they will never be kings in football so they accept 3rd or 4th best football conference with hopes of being #1 in basketball. They obviously game the system to some degree but their league is very good for basketball.

They got lucky that they have good coaches at places who shouldn't have good coaches (TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, Houston). Those are garbage-ass programs who lucked into great coaches. That cant last forever.

UConn only cares about basketball for good reason .
It’s why they left the AAC for the big east .
They are where they want to be .
National title contenders every year

I predict the Big 12 will invite Minnesota State lead by their Great Head Coach, Hayden Fox as Minnesota State is still steamed that the FAT 10 never offered an invitation to join their Conference when they selected Maryland & Rutgers.

Good call SMF, looks like this has some legs after all. If so, good for UConn making it P4. I don’t see how this has any affect on the ACC. No need to add a school who puts no resources into football and I doubt BC or Cuse would vote for UConn to join.

Guess this means the ACC lost out on another one. Hopefully they can get to Wofford before the Big12.
I wouldn’t get worked up about UConn. In 2011, they were coming off a Fiesta Bowl appearance and national championship in basketball. Pitt, Cuse, Louisville, Rutgers, and WVU all went up a level but no conference had an interest in UConn. 13 years later with an infinitely worse football program? No thanks…

I wouldn’t get worked up about UConn. In 2011, they were coming off a Fiesta Bowl appearance and national championship in basketball. Pitt, Cuse, Louisville, Rutgers, and WVU all went up a level but no conference had an interest in UConn. 13 years later with an infinitely worse football program? No thanks…
If this ends up happening, I will assume from UConn's standpoint it's a play to start investing in their football program again. Staying in the FBS as an independent probably isn't sustainable for them and there isn't a conference outside of the current power 4 they could join where the basketball wouldn't be a big enough step back that their fan base would not riot.

From the outside it looked like UConn leaving the AAC for the Big East, even though at the expense of any remaining football relevancy they had, was widely celebrated by their fanbase. I'm assuming back-to-back basketball championships have not done anything to dampen the enthusiasm for the Big East.

I think saving the football program would have close to equal footing with the increased financial payout for them to want to put their hoops team through the grinder of longer travel and more frequent games vs ranked teams that they don't have history with.

Good call SMF, looks like this has some legs after all. If so, good for UConn making it P4. I don’t see how this has any affect on the ACC. No need to add a school who puts no resources into football and I doubt BC or Cuse would vote for UConn to join.

I said the ACC should have kicked out BC and added UConn or just added UConn outright. But its not like the Big 12 "beat us" for UConn. There are plenty of reasons for the ACC to not add UConn. I think what this shows more than anything is that the Big 12 will add anyone and everyone. I can't believe there are Pitt fans worried that Pitt may get left out of that piece of shit league when FSU, Clem, and UNC leave the ACC.

BC blocked Connecticut from getting into the ACC. It felt petty then and has aged even worse.

I fully expect Pitt to end up in the B12 at some point but I’d be lying if I said there isn’t some anxiety as you watch other schools get a seat while we just sit on a timebomb waiting for it to explode

Big 12 makes up in quantity what they lack in quality. There are the PAC12 teams and everyone else in that conference. I think that will be an unhappy marriage before too long.

Reactions: Pitt2009
Big 12 makes up in quantity what they lack in quality. There are the PAC12 teams and everyone else in that conference. I think that will be an unhappy marriage before too long.
I agree. Nobody actually wants to be in the Big 12. Every team is there out of necessity/fear of being left behind.

It's happening. All sports in 2026. Football though not until 2031
For one, it's likely NOT happening. I don't see enough University Presidents voting "yes". But, importantly, even on the long shot that it does, it could be a yet another shrewd move by Yormark. Take basketball now (UCONN would be yet another marquee bball add) and by the time UCONN gets the nod for football in 2031, there will likely be another major conferenced overhaul that will make it all a moot point. So, it's very possible the B12 gets UCONN bball without having to inherit anything else in return.

Reactions: Houclone4
BC blocked Connecticut from getting into the ACC. It felt petty then and has aged even worse.

I fully expect Pitt to end up in the B12 at some point but I’d be lying if I said there isn’t some anxiety as you watch other schools get a seat while we just sit on a timebomb waiting for it to explode

Let me assure you that the B12 would take Pitt in a heartbeat but I hope it doesnt come to that. I'd rather go to the Big East and independent for football. That's not even a league. Its a collection of thrown together teams from all over the place.

Sigh.....

Let me get this straight, troll…

The Big 12 loses big schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri…They replace them with WVU, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Utah, Arizona State, Arizona…

They have no TV Network….

They’ve been talking about luring teams like FSU and a couple of other ACC schools…But have settled on trying to get UConn to join their conference…

But somehow, when FSU and Clemson leaves., The Big 12 is going to scoop up the rest and become a juggernaut with no TV Network…

Does that make any sense?????????

No, if or when FSU and Clemson leave, it will be the other way around. The ACC will pick the bones of the Big 12. The ACC has a network, the Big 12 does not. That will be a huge selling point. WVU, Cincy, UCF, Ok St would jump all over it… Watch…

Sigh.....

The Big 12 loses big schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri…They replace them with WVU, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Utah, Arizona State, Arizona…

They’ve been talking about luring teams like FSU and a couple of other ACC schools…But have settled on trying to get UConn to join their conference…

But somehow, when FSU and Clemson leaves., The Big 12 is going to scoop up the rest and become a juggernaut with no TV Network…

No, if or when FSU and Clemson leave, it will be the other way around. The ACC will pick the bones of the Big 12. The ACC has a network, the Big 12 does not. That will be a huge selling point. WVU, Cincy, UCF, Ok St would jump all over it… Watch…
Hey, they’re going to show the ACC and poach UConn while they can. ESPN has to pay them B1G money if that happens.

• Haha
Reactions: pittmeister
It was sarcasm. No conference has ever gotten worked up over not getting UConn for football except maybe the Patriot League.

Sigh.....

Exactly what part of what I said was Trolling?

Also, thinking that the ACC is going to pick up the B12 is some galaxy brain thinking. Look at how they’re expanding versus the haphazard P12/AAC schools the ACC just added. If you think the ACC ends up a winner in all this, boy I want some of what you’re drinking.

As I said, I expect we’ll be fine but I don’t think it’s outlandish to have some anxiety.

I came across the beat writer who covers Utah football for the Salt Lake Tribune.

He was kinda clever with his thoughts on Utah coming to this league.

He calls it, " the league where the trucks stop".

I tnought that was pretty funny

Reactions: pittdan77
Also, thinking that the ACC is going to pick up the B12 is some galaxy brain thinking. Look at how they’re expanding versus the haphazard P12/AAC schools the ACC just added. If you think the ACC ends up a winner in all this, boy I want some of what you’re drinking.

It's almost as if you haven't noticed that the Big 12 is taking just about anyone who has any interest in their conference. I mean they are down to scraping the bottom of the barrel for UConn. And you think that's some sort of coup.

It's almost as if you haven't noticed that the Big 12 is taking just about anyone who has any interest in their conference. I mean they are down to scraping the bottom of the barrel for UConn. And you think that's some sort of coup.

Adding so much crap can have an adverse effect. If they add UConn, they essentially have the old Big East plus the B12 nobody wants plus 2 Arizonas and 2 Utahs. The only team of interest they have is Colorado.

I mean:

WVU
Cincy
UConn
TCU
UCF (USF substitute)

That's the old Big East.

Now, apparently, it would be all sports BUT football for UConn. Why on God's Green Earth would UConn agree to that? They win the bball NC out of the Big East playing historic rivals and the BE is a good league. Why would they want to travel coast to coast for all sports and leave their football as an Indy? And dont say because the B12 is the best basketball conference. Right now it is, but for how long? Its cyclical. Kansas and Arizona will always be good but the rest of the teams lucked into HOF coaches who wont be there forever.

Reactions: Burgh15
I think this is going to happen after all.
Let me assure you that the B12 would take Pitt in a heartbeat but I hope it doesnt come to that. I'd rather go to the Big East and independent for football. That's not even a league. Its a collection of thrown together teams from all over the place.
Independent in football? Great idea for a one way ticket to irrelevance. Ask BYU, UMass, UConn.

I think this is going to happen after all.

Independent in football? Great idea for a one way ticket to irrelevance. Ask BYU, UMass, UConn.

What is relavant about the Big 12? Its essentially a group of 16 independents that nobody wants from all over the country.

Adding so much crap can have an adverse effect. If they add UConn, they essentially have the old Big East plus the B12 nobody wants plus 2 Arizonas and 2 Utahs. The only team of interest they have is Colorado.

I mean:

WVU
Cincy
UConn
TCU
UCF (USF substitute)

That's the old Big East.
If ACC blows up, perhaps Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech, and Miami get Big 12 invites for an alumni reunion.

Now, apparently, it would be all sports BUT football for UConn. Why on God's Green Earth would UConn agree to that? They win the bball NC out of the Big East playing historic rivals and the BE is a good league. Why would they want to travel coast to coast for all sports and leave their football as an Indy? And dont say because the B12 is the best basketball conference. Right now it is, but for how long? Its cyclical. Kansas and Arizona will always be good but the rest of the teams lucked into HOF coaches who wont be there forever.
If true, I hope Uconn tells the them to shove it. I'd assume more TV money would be they only reason to make the move at that point; and I'm not sure if that is enough to abandon a league that has been good to their revenue generating programs.

That said, basketball only might be the only way Brett Yormark could bring them into the league. Currently, to approve a new member, 12 of 16 Big 12 programs need to vote in favor of the addition.

I wouldn't be suprised if all 4 former PAC schools plus at least one other school would vote against adding Uconn if football is included.

If true, I hope Uconn tells the them to shove it. I'd assume more TV money would be they only reason to make the move at that point; and I'm not sure if that is enough to abandon a league that has been good to their revenue generating programs.

That said, basketball only might be the only way Brett Yormark could bring them into the league. Currently, to approve a new member, 12 of 16 Big 12 programs need to vote in favor of the addition.

I wouldn't be suprised if all 4 former PAC schools plus at least one other school would vote against adding Uconn if football is included.

Uh....the Big East has pretty good basketball. And while B12 basketball has also been good, are folks in CT going to get excited about really good Houston and Iowa State teams coming in? Wouldn't they rather play SJU, Prov, and tourney at MSG?

Yormak said he's going to sell B12 basketball separately in the next contract but the BE already does that? How much extra bball TV revenue are we talking about? UConn would have to be insane to consider this.

If ACC blows up, perhaps Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech, and Miami get Big 12 invites for an alumni reunion.

The only way I'd agree to the B12 is if its just some like 30 team "league" and we are in an ACC/Big East Division with

Pitt
WVU
Syr
Cin
Lou
VT
NC St
Duke
GT
UConn
UCF

I wouldn't add Wake or BC.

B12 Division would be
ISU
Kan
KSU
OK St
Baylor
TT
TCU
Houston
SMU
Memphis

P12 Division
Colorado
Arizona
ASU
Utah
BYU
Oregon St
Washington St
San Diego State
Cal
Stanford

I’ve been accused of being a Pitt optimist in my time, but Lordy this place makes me look rational.

You understand that, past animosity aside, UConn is a premier brand in college athletics? Yes, their football team is terrible and will never be anything more than filler but that’s not why they are getting the lifeboat. Also, to say the B12 is taking “anyone” after what the ACC just did, notably with SMU, is some incredible mental gymnastics.

The best solution would be for the ACC to remain intact but that ship is set to sail. Everyone hates conference realignment but I think the B12 is operating about as intelligently as you can. There were 5 power conferences and now there are 4 with the B12 aggressively moving to ensure they are at least in the 3 spot. Pitt landing there would be a win on many levels. Sign me up for a future that includes WV on the schedule every year and the best basketball in the country.

You understand that, past animosity aside, UConn is a premier brand in college athletics? Yes, their football team is terrible and will never be anything more than filler but that’s not why they are getting the lifeboat.

The fact that UConn is great in basketball is wonderful (for them). And also pretty much irrelevant in what makes a school desirable to a conference in 2024.

Their football team is terrible, and unfortunately for them, that is what actually matters. There's a reason why the Big Ten went after USC and Oregon and Washington but not Arizona. There's a reason that the SEC went after Texas and Oklahoma but not Kansas. Or even back in the day why the Big Ten went for Nebraska instead of Kansas.

To the television networks, and therefore the conferences, basketball is a nice winter distraction. Football pays the bills. Football, and only football, is what is driving the bus.

If you want another example, in college athletics as a whole, Stanford is a much bigger brand than UConn. How'd that work out for them when the Big Ten came calling?

The fact that UConn is great in basketball is wonderful (for them). And also pretty much irrelevant in what makes a school desirable to a conference in 2024.

Their football team is terrible, and unfortunately for them, that is what actually matters. There's a reason why the Big Ten went after USC and Oregon and Washington but not Arizona. There's a reason that the SEC went after Texas and Oklahoma but not Kansas. Or even back in the day why the Big Ten went for Nebraska instead of Kansas.

To the television networks, and therefore the conferences, basketball is a nice winter distraction. Football pays the bills. Football, and only football, is what is driving the bus.

If you want another example, in college athletics as a whole, Stanford is a much bigger brand than UConn. How'd that work out for them when the Big Ten came calling?
And this is why it would've been slightly more tolerable if realignment for football was separate from the rest of sports. More sports traveling further distances means bigger bills for football to pay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT