ADVERTISEMENT

UConn to the Big 12?

They're the Gonzoga of the east coast in terms of being a "premier brand". One trick pony. Outside of basketball, there ain't much going on there and the school is struggling financially. They're quickly becoming Temple.

The Big 12 has openly talked about adding Gonzaga too. For Gonzaga that makes sense. But for UConn, leaving the Big East for the Big 12 while staying Indy in football would be the worst decision in the expansion era. They have to parlay football into the mix there. Im sure it would be fun for UConn bball fans to play Kansas and Arizona but beyond that, there isnt another Big 12 program that would get UConn hoops fans excited. I mean, yay, Iowa State is ranked high, but so what, UConn fans would rather play St. John's.

Reactions: 303vND
The Big 12 has openly talked about adding Gonzaga too. For Gonzaga that makes sense. But for UConn, leaving the Big East for the Big 12 while staying Indy in football would be the worst decision in the expansion era. They have to parlay football into the mix there. Im sure it would be fun for UConn bball fans to play Kansas and Arizona but beyond that, there isnt another Big 12 program that would get UConn hoops fans excited. I mean, yay, Iowa State is ranked high, but so what, UConn fans would rather play St. John's.
Yeah, i seem to remember a conference that made basketball only moves and how badly it backfired. Go for it.

Yeah, i seem to remember a conference that made basketball only moves and how badly it backfired. Go for it.

Yorkmak really values basketball. He wants to sell it separately. What he doesn't realize is no one cares about regular season college basketball and while he has good teams now, those programs are completely dependent on lucking into an outstanding coach. They are coaches, not programs. If you put Kelvin Sampson, Scott Drew, TJO, etc at Point Park, LaRoche, and W&J, they'd have Top 20 teams there. Their programs cant sustain this success. Also, beyond Kansas & Arizona, TV viewers dont get excited about Baylor, Houston, TCU, OK St, Utah, etc. Those teams might be good but nobody cares.

Yorkmak really values basketball. He wants to sell it separately. What he doesn't realize is no one cares about regular season college basketball and while he has good teams now, those programs are completely dependent on lucking into an outstanding coach. They are coaches, not programs. If you put Kelvin Sampson, Scott Drew, TJO, etc at Point Park, LaRoche, and W&J, they'd have Top 20 teams there. Their programs cant sustain this success. Also, beyond Kansas & Arizona, TV viewers dont get excited about Baylor, Houston, TCU, OK St, Utah, etc. Those teams might be good but nobody cares.
You're nuts. Kansas, Arizona, and even Houston have been great PROGRAMS for decades and all are national title holders under different coaches than lead them today. Even Cincinnati & WVU have roots that go back to players like Oscar Robertson and Jerry West.

The B12 is the dominant bball league and that won't be changing anytime soon. As I stated in another post, I think Yormark may be making a very shrewd move in taking UCONN and not inviting football until 2031. By the time UCONN football is given consideration, there is likely to be another major round of realignment that will make all such commitments moot. Hence, he is likely to get UCONN basketball without having to compromise on anything else.

The Big 12 has openly talked about adding Gonzaga too.

"Talked" being the key word. When Yormark proposed that several schools told him that they would never, ever agree to that. It's why you haven't heard anything about that in a while.

Incidentally, there have also been several schools telling Yormark that they don't want UConn. Apparently at least a few of the schools in that conference realize that expansion for expansion's sake really isn't a good idea.

"Talked" being the key word. When Yormark proposed that several schools told him that they would never, ever agree to that. It's why you haven't heard anything about that in a while.

Incidentally, there have also been several schools telling Yormark that they don't want UConn. Apparently at least a few of the schools in that conference realize that expansion for expansion's sake really isn't a good idea.

Yormak seems like a crazy dude. They better rein him in or he's going to be adding D3 schools if they let him.

I’ve been accused of being a Pitt optimist in my time, but Lordy this place makes me look rational.

You understand that, past animosity aside, UConn is a premier brand in college athletics? Yes, their football team is terrible and will never be anything more than filler but that’s not why they are getting the lifeboat. Also, to say the B12 is taking “anyone” after what the ACC just did, notably with SMU, is some incredible mental gymnastics.

The best solution would be for the ACC to remain intact but that ship is set to sail. Everyone hates conference realignment but I think the B12 is operating about as intelligently as you can. There were 5 power conferences and now there are 4 with the B12 aggressively moving to ensure they are at least in the 3 spot. Pitt landing there would be a win on many levels. Sign me up for a future that includes WV on the schedule every year and the best basketball in the country.
I am one of only a few Pitt fans that agrees with this

We got SMU for free. I dont know the exact math but the fact they arent taking any TV revenue is like asking Pitt, we will pay you $3 million every year, for what 10 years, if you let us in. That is significant money. If UConn had done the same, we should have let them in too. Now, one could say the ACC should have taken SMU's offer to UConn to see if they would match and then they could analyze who the better addition would be.

No one is saying that UConn isn't a premier brand. But it really is limited to the hoops programs. Their football program is pretty much 1-AA. And a Patriot League one at that. Yes, they punched slightly above their weight for a few years but the base isn't there for it to be sustainable. SMU has a load of money behind it and they will use it, for football, without the slightest afterthought. UConn will never spend that amount because they don't have it.

This isn't a good deal for UConn. I bet that their football team never plays a game as part of the Big 12. I also bet that they know this but make the jump anyway.

UCONN is such a premier brand that they haven't been in a major football conference since the Obama administration. Makes sense.

Reactions: pittdan77

OK, this makes it make more sense for UConn. Football would join in 2031 (when B12 TV contract is up) if they meet financial benchmarks. So basically as long as they spend big on football, they are in. It needs 12 out of 16 schools to say yes and that's up in the air.

2031 is also when the ACC's raid of the Big 12 should take place. Lets assume FSU, Clem, UNC, and Miami are gone. We have a Pac 12 presence with Stanford and Cal. We should go and take Utah, 1 Arizona, Colorado, OK St, Kansas (for bball), Texas Tech, UCF, and maybe WVU.

OK, this makes it make more sense for UConn. Football would join in 2031 (when B12 TV contract is up) if they meet financial benchmarks. So basically as long as they spend big on football, they are in. It needs 12 out of 16 schools to say yes and that's up in the air.

2031 is also when the ACC's raid of the Big 12 should take place. Lets assume FSU, Clem, UNC, and Miami are gone. We have a Pac 12 presence with Stanford and Cal. We should go and take Utah, 1 Arizona, Colorado, OK St, Kansas (for bball), Texas Tech, UCF, and maybe WVU.
You really do live in dream land. There is about zero chance the ACC is going to raid the B12. Nothing about that conference will be attractive when your top 3-4 schools are gone.

Could be a raid if FSU and Clemson stays put and commits to new GOR past 2036. Hard to convince someone to go to a new conference where in 5 years it would be in turmoil. Plus, FSU and Clemson may go the Oklahoma/Texas route and give a 4 year notice.

Also, the raid may go the other way. According to the end of this CBS article, Big 12 expected to double their media rights in 2031, a far cry from a haircut. I think no way in hell it will be double however.

"None of the current discussions have anything to do with the league's ongoing consideration of public equity money, sources told CBS Sports. That prospective PE partner, CVC, has told the Big 12 it projects its media rights will at least double by 2031."

Also, looks like the distributors are fighting back on conference networks which would hurt the enticement of the ACC going into new areas.

Could be a raid if FSU and Clemson stays put and commits to new GOR past 2036. Hard to convince someone to go to a new conference where in 5 years it would be in turmoil. Plus, FSU and Clemson may go the Oklahoma/Texas route and give a 4 year notice.

Also, the raid may go the other way. According to the end of this CBS article, Big 12 expected to double their media rights in 2031, a far cry from a haircut. I think no way in hell it will be double however.

"None of the current discussions have anything to do with the league's ongoing consideration of public equity money, sources told CBS Sports. That prospective PE partner, CVC, has told the Big 12 it projects its media rights will at least double by 2031."

Also, looks like the distributors are fighting back on conference networks which would hurt the enticement of the ACC going into new areas.

Comcast isnt going to ACCN or BTN in new markets until their ESPN contact is up. Been saying this for awhile

Adding so much crap can have an adverse effect. If they add UConn, they essentially have the old Big East plus the B12 nobody wants plus 2 Arizonas and 2 Utahs. The only team of interest they have is Colorado.

I mean:

WVU
Cincy
UConn
TCU
UCF (USF substitute)

That's the old Big East.
The moment Coach Prime leaves Colorado, they will fall off of the media's radar.

The fact that UConn is great in basketball is wonderful (for them). And also pretty much irrelevant in what makes a school desirable to a conference in 2024.

Their football team is terrible, and unfortunately for them, that is what actually matters. There's a reason why the Big Ten went after USC and Oregon and Washington but not Arizona. There's a reason that the SEC went after Texas and Oklahoma but not Kansas. Or even back in the day why the Big Ten went for Nebraska instead of Kansas.

To the television networks, and therefore the conferences, basketball is a nice winter distraction. Football pays the bills. Football, and only football, is what is driving the bus.

If you want another example, in college athletics as a whole, Stanford is a much bigger brand than UConn. How'd that work out for them when the Big Ten came calling?
I think what eventually happens is football breaks off into a super league. And no, lesser teams in the big two conference will not be part of this. The rest of the sports (including those in the super league) go back to 8-12 team manageable geographical conferences. Part of the revenue that is generated by the super league funds all the other conferences.

The moment Coach Prime leaves Colorado, they will fall off of the media's radar.

Yes they will. But its a state school in the Denver suburbs. The media market is fantastic. They will be in the B10 or SEC eventually with or without Prime.

I'd rank the P2 prospects as such (in terms of the money they bring since that's what non-profit college sports is all about)

1. Florida State
2. Clemson
3. North Carolina
4. Miami
5. Colorado
6. Virginia
7. Stanford
8. Cal
9. NC State
10. One of the Arizona's

I for one am shocked. It's almost like it was an obviously stupid idea.

Couldn't get 12 yes's. I thought it was stupid for the Big 12 because that league is so scattered across the country. For the ACC, I think it makes a lot of sense. I'd even kick BC out to add them. Adding BC was a mistake and it should be corrected.

Couldn't get 12 yes's. I thought it was stupid for the Big 12 because that league is so scattered across the country. For the ACC, I think it makes a lot of sense. I'd even kick BC out to add them. Adding BC was a mistake and it should be corrected.
Because it's a stupid idea for everyone. UConn is about as dumb as the time you floated Wofford.

And just stop with the BC nonsense. They are at least trying to be a legit.

Because it's a stupid idea for everyone. UConn is about as dumb as the time you floated Wofford.

And just stop with the BC nonsense. They are at least trying to be a legit.

I floated Howard, not Wofford. And only if they agreed to some type of massive financial commitment to become the BYU or ND for HBCU's.

I dont think BC is trying. They may have gotten a little lucky with hometown Bill O'Brien but we'll see. They cant compete in this NIL era. UConn probably has richer donors who care.

I floated Howard, not Wofford. And only if they agreed to some type of massive financial commitment to become the BYU or ND for HBCU's.

I dont think BC is trying. They may have gotten a little lucky with hometown Bill O'Brien but we'll see. They cant compete in this NIL era. UConn probably has richer donors who care.
You don't think BC is trying but you think UConn is? That's pretty funny.

My apologies on Wofford. Howard is definitely a powerhouse program.

You don't think BC is trying but you think UConn is? That's pretty funny.

My apologies on Wofford. Howard is definitely a powerhouse program.

UConn cant really try right now. They are an independent with no money. If they were in the ACC, their ceiling would be higher than BC's.

Yes they will. But its a state school in the Denver suburbs. The media market is fantastic. They will be in the B10 or SEC eventually with or without Prime.

I'd rank the P2 prospects as such (in terms of the money they bring since that's what non-profit college sports is all about)

1. Florida State
2. Clemson
3. North Carolina
4. Miami
5. Colorado
6. Virginia
7. Stanford
8. Cal
9. NC State
10. One of the Arizona's
North Carolina should be #1 on that list, they're the school both the B1G and SEC will try to lock down quickly once they hit the market. Clemson is becoming less relevant every week, by the time everything is settled they may have missed their window and will be in the who's ever leftover conference.

I can see the B1G taking UNC and either Miami or FSU in a similar way they added USC & UCLA, then add desperate Virginia and Georgia Tech(yes Georgia Tech) at a discount.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT