ADVERTISEMENT

US court rules some NCAA athletes may qualify as employees under federal wage-and-hour laws

can someone explain this to me like im a 5 year old. Thank you in advance..
The ruling denies an attempt to get the case thrown out and establishes a test by which the original judge can determine if an athlete could be considered an employee under the Fair Labor Standards Act. It's not as much about pay but, as employees, they would be covered by worker's comp and have some other benefits. It's really not a good thing for college sports but it will get to the point that Congress will eventually step in and create some sort of exception.

• Haha
Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
You should probably read a little more and quit spewing nonsense.
Correct
He doesn’t seem to understand there is no national tv media rights to enable a CBA
Money does NOT need to limited for players , just like it’s not for coaches .
Both are employees of individual institutions , moron .

Correct
He doesn’t seem to understand there is no national tv media rights to enable a CBA
Money does NOT need to limited for players , just like it’s not for coaches .
Both are employees of individual institutions , moron .

And NFL players are employees of their team. A CBA and salary cap will be comijg to a campus near you and that will be fantastic for football.

The ruling denies an attempt to get the case thrown out and establishes a test by which the original judge can determine if an athlete could be considered an employee under the Fair Labor Standards Act. It's not as much about pay but, as employees, they would be covered by worker's comp and have some other benefits. It's really not a good thing for college sports but it will get to the point that Congress will eventually step in and create some sort of exception.
But Congress should not create an exception .
They should remove the tax exempt status for athletic departments and colleges as a whole .

And NFL players are employees of their team. A CBA and salary cap will be comijg to a campus near you and that will be fantastic for football.
The NFL has a media deal who the owners revenue share .
Buddy - why would a college athlete require a salary cap anymore than any other employee in any other line of work ?
Your brain is damaged

The salary cap in the NFL only exists so owners can keep they percentage of revenue - which as noted , from the NFL is shared among them .

Let me know when conferences become divisions and all revenue is shared among teams - then we can start talking about your idiotic fantasies

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan
But Congress should not create an exception .
They should remove the tax exempt status for athletic departments and colleges as a whole .
I don't think that really does much to help anything. We all know that on paper, most of these athletic departments can show a loss. All you're doing is taking away most of the support that Olympic programs depend on and forcing them to just rely on what's left in the budget after football is taken care of.

I don't think that really does much to help anything. We all know that on paper, most of these athletic departments can show a loss. All you're doing is taking away most of the support that Olympic programs depend on and forcing them to just rely on what's left in the budget after football is taken care of.
On the contrary -
Instead of paying a football coach $8 mil a year - the university can divert millions to those sports.

Reactions: pittdan77
IMO the Big Ten, SEC, and whoever decides to come with them will be completely broke away from the NCAA by the end of the decade and will be diverting a lot of money to football. The biggest programs in the country will not stand by and be governed by schools they do not see as their peers and it will be up to each school to decide if they want to be a part of it or basically be FCS.

The NFL has a media deal who the owners revenue share .
Buddy - why would a college athlete require a salary cap anymore than any other employee in any other line of work ?
Your brain is damaged

The salary cap in the NFL only exists so owners can keep they percentage of revenue - which as noted , from the NFL is shared among them .

Let me know when conferences become divisions and all revenue is shared among teams - then we can start talking about your idiotic fantasies

Here's how it works:

1. Universities lose eventual lawsuit and have to make players employees.

2. A union is formed and players at each school vote to join the union. They will all vote yes.

3. The NCAA, the organization that the players' teams says it needs a cap on player salaries to ensure long-term stability.

4. The NCAA and Collegiate Football Players of America negotiate a CBA with a salary cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimPL
Here's how it works:

2. A union is formed and players at each school vote to join the union. They will all vote yes.

3. The NCAA, the organization that the players' teams says it needs a cap on player salaries to ensure long-term salaries.

4. The NCAA and Collegiate Football Players of America negotiate a CBA with a salary cap.
The NCAA will not have any part in this

Here's how it works:

3. The NCAA, the organization that the players' teams says it needs a cap on player salaries to ensure long-term stability.

Again -
You don’t seem to understand who has media deals . It’s conferences who already revenue share . Including ticket revenue .
As I literally explained - the salary cap and floor in professional sports is because league revenue is shared by owners - so the CBA is negotiating what % of revenue goes to player salaries .

It’s apples and hanburgers

Again -
You don’t seem to understand who has media deals . It’s conferences who already revenue share . Including ticket revenue .
As I literally explained - the salary cap and floor in professional sports is because league revenue is shared by owners - so the CBA is negotiating what % of revenue goes to player salaries .

It’s apples and hanburgers

Why do you keep bringing up media deals? Universities have multiple revenue sources for football. TV is the biggest part of that but just because the NCAA doesn't negotiate a league-wide TV deal doesn't mean that the NCAA cannot negotiate a salary cap for the employees of its member teams.

Why do you keep bringing up media deals? Universities have multiple revenue sources for football. TV is the biggest part of that but just because the NCAA doesn't negotiate a league-wide TV deal doesn't mean that the NCAA cannot negotiate a salary cap for the employees of its member teams.
Because you keep referencing the NFL.
Owners share media and ticket revue .
This basic fact destroys your fantasy
You are getting very basic things wrong , because you’re not smart

Because you keep referencing the NFL.
Owners share media and ticket revue .
This basic fact destroys your fantasy
You are getting very basic things wrong , because you’re not smart

They share media revenue and Super Bowl revenue, not individual ticket revenue. Also, the sharing of TV revenue is not the only reason there is a CBA and salary cap. Are you saying if the AFC North had its own TV deal and the AFC East had its own TV deal and that revenue wasn't shared with the league, there wouldn't be a salary cap?

They share media revenue and Super Bowl revenue, not individual ticket revenue. Also, the sharing of TV revenue is not the only reason there is a CBA and salary cap. Are you saying if the AFC North had its own TV deal and the AFC East had its own TV deal and that revenue wasn't shared with the league, there wouldn't be a salary cap?
You’re wrong on the facts , again
The owners only keep the non-football revenue for concerts and events at the stadiums separately .

Home teams keep 66% of revenue generated from their own NFL game ticket sales. Another W for the 🐐.

Only you could declare that they do not share ticket revenue, and then follow that up with a post that they do, in fact, share ticket revenue, and declare yourself correct.

The sad thing is that by posting that you got it wrong you probably think that you did prove yourself.

Only you could declare that they do not share ticket revenue, and then follow that up with a post that they do, in fact, share ticket revenue, and declare yourself correct.

The sad thing is that by posting that you got it wrong you probably think that you did prove yourself.

You insinuated that they share all ticket revenue when in fact they keep 2/3 of it.

Football pays the bills so that is not happening.
I always wondered how schools managed to have non-football athletic programs before the age of big money football and running all over the place for games. I mean, if you're going to drag everyone to a football conference that requires massive amounts of travel, yeah, you sort of need football.

I always wondered how schools managed to have non-football athletic programs before the age of big money football and running all over the place for games. I mean, if you're going to drag everyone to a football conference that requires massive amounts of travel, yeah, you sort of need football.
Conferences were historically very regional; you would use buses and not planes, and a diverse athletic program was part of college life. These programs were funded through donations specific to a program or student fees so they should be able to continue and schools crying poor will be lip service.

The best thing that could happen to college athletic programs would be football and basketball only conferences and go back to regional conferences unless a school wants to be in a conference because of the competition level in that conference.

Conferences were historically very regional; you would use buses and not planes, and a diverse athletic program was part of college life. These programs were funded through donations specific to a program or student fees so they should be able to continue and schools crying poor will be lip service.

The best thing that could happen to college athletic programs would be football and basketball only conferences and go back to regional conferences unless a school wants to be in a conference because of the competition level in that conference.
Right. So it's not like it won't work because "football pays the bills" if a school were to jump out of this mess and dump football because several have or never bothered and they manage pretty well for themselves.

The head coaches of those other sports also probably weren't making 8x the national average full time salary and each combined coaching staffs weren't likely costing several times more than their sports generated in revenue.

Reactions: pittdan77
You insinuated that they share all ticket revenue when in fact they keep 2/3 of it.

I did no such thing. You said that they did not share ticket revenue and I told you that you were wrong. Which, in something of a shock, you actually admitted.

I insinuated nothing, I pointed out the fact that you were wrong.

The head coaches of those other sports also probably weren't making 8x the national average full time salary and each combined coaching staffs weren't likely costing several times more than their sports generated in revenue.
I don't know. Most "non-revenue" sports survive on donations and licensing. It's not like there's this huge trickle down from football like everyone imagines. I'm not being naïve but it's not like the track program at Pitt is consuming huge chunks of the budget.

I don't know. Most "non-revenue" sports survive on donations and licensing. It's not like there's this huge trickle down from football like everyone imagines. I'm not being naïve but it's not like the track program at Pitt is consuming huge chunks of the budget.
I could not find any info on Pitt but track at most schools costs the athletic department $2-3 million but is typically the expensive none revenue sport to operate.

They absolutely do not. Pitt's track and field budget is nearly $4million, and the university says it's budget neutral to the penny, just like every other non-revenue sport at the school. Every single sport is shown to be raking in between $1.6-$4million in revenue with nearly $40 million "not related to specific teams." Pitt generates nearly $140 million in athletic revenue (probably much more if you consider merchandise, which doesn't get attributed to the athletic department unless it is sold at the stadiums) and spends probably half of that on football and basketball combined.

I would be absolutely shocked if 80%+ of non-revenue sport revenue isn't covered by the ACC and its media deal, unless you also think women's lacrosse is generating $2.3 million in revenue every year.

As far as licensing goes, let's not pretend that isn't also intrinsically linked to the football and basketball program. Without those programs bringing in 98%+ of the eyeballs, who is going to pay those fees for licensing the other sports?

They absolutely do not. Pitt's track and field budget is nearly $4million, and the university says it's budget neutral to the penny, just like every other non-revenue sport at the school. Every single sport is shown to be raking in between $1.6-$4million in revenue with nearly $40 million "not related to specific teams." Pitt generates nearly $140 million in athletic revenue (probably much more if you consider merchandise, which doesn't get attributed to the athletic department unless it is sold at the stadiums) and spends probably half of that on football and basketball combined.

I would be absolutely shocked if 80%+ of non-revenue sport revenue isn't covered by the ACC and its media deal, unless you also think women's lacrosse is generating $2.3 million in revenue every year.

As far as licensing goes, let's not pretend that isn't also intrinsically linked to the football and basketball program. Without those programs bringing in 98%+ of the eyeballs, who is going to pay those fees for licensing the other sports?
Pitt always shows that non-revenue sports break even but if you look at other schools that do not report like that you can get an idea what those sports actually cost the athletic department.

$4 million for track is a lot. Guess there is extra travel because Pitt doesn't have a venue but that's still pretty salty.

You don't need $140 million to run a competitive athletic department. I keep bringing up Creighton because they are very successful at around $30 million in revenue and show a break even, just like Pitt. I'm not advocating anything. I'm merely pointing out that you can run a relevant athletic department without football.

$4 million for track is a lot. Guess there is extra travel because Pitt doesn't have a venue but that's still pretty salty.

You don't need $140 million to run a competitive athletic department. I keep bringing up Creighton because they are very successful at around $30 million in revenue and show a break even, just like Pitt. I'm not advocating anything. I'm merely pointing out that you can run a relevant athletic department without football.
Almost half is scholarships and related aid with 12.6 scholarships for men and 18 for women.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT