ADVERTISEMENT

Two things and this may be a little long, but...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
- If this college football nonsense continues to escalate, a cataclysmic battle in court between the NFL and college football lies in our future. As college football's leadership continues to show us all their end game (suck up as much money as possible into their bank accounts) sooner or later a couple of them (and it will spread quickly among other teams) will come to the conclusion that the NFL is not really needed. It is then that the 32 NFL owners and all of the billions of dollars that their league generates will come together and realize that their livelihood is in danger.
I know that it sounds far fetched, but is it really? Think about it. College football has already become a professional sports league. The players are already being paid for everything that their agents (sorry NCAA, their representatives) tell them that should be getting paid some money to do. Everything from being paid to make an official visit to a school, to their negotiated salary (NIL) for that upcoming season. College football IS a professional sports league.
What is to stop, say the Power 5 schools from banding together and take that next step towards to the land of NFL type money for their programs? Nothing.
While the first 10-20 years of the transitioning from an amateur to professional sports model might be a little troublesome, after that the new professional sports league would be up and running smoothly. Just imagine a professional football league with teams from the states like Alabama, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oregon, Utah, etc... Schools will realize that they do not need to lose their players after they graduate, just pay them larger amounts of money and keep them together in the new professional league. I mean, most of the Power 5 schools, already have their own stadiums (not saying a word abut Pitt) and most have fan bases that are as large, if not larger then the average NFL team. Imagine a University of Alabama professional sports team with current NFL Super Stars on it like...QB Jalen Hurts, a backfield of RB Derrick Henry and RB Najee Harris, WR corps of DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle and Amari Cooper. The attendance at games would be phenomenal. Fans would become even more loyal to their schools then they are now. Those Super Star athletes their schools have developed will be with their teams until they retire, the money coming into the schools would be incredible and since that is all that the colleges seem concerned about it makes perfect sense. I know it sounds foolish, but is it really?
- Now I do not know Kenny Pickett personally, he does seem to be a rather laid back kind of guy. He doesn't come across as the type of player, especially as a rookie player, who is going to come into a new situation and buck the system in place. By that I mean, if he is being told by his new HC (Tomlin) and his new OC (Canada) to play the game a certain way, he is going to play the game the way he is being told to do. We have all heard Tomlin and Canada talking about having Kenny Pickett be smart with the ball, don't put the ball at risk, take the low risk throws, etc... . This is what Pickett did, it did not work as planned. It was (and still is) a pathetic 2023 NFL offense. while other QB's are going out and throwing 30-35 times a game and putting up 30+ points on a regular basis, the Steelers were playing 1990's NFL football. Pickett's stats looked terrible when compared to other NFL QB's and they were. The Steelers offense looked pathetic and it was. It was not Pickett's fault. That blame, all 100% of it, lies at the feet of Tomlin and Canada. The reason Pickett looked so good in those 4th quarter drives was, he was just being an athlete during those drives and making decisions based upon what he saw, not what he was being told to do. For any one who thinks that Mason Rudolph is the answer, I ask you this...is a QB who is 17-19 and throws for 81 yards, having a good game? For me, those stats would not indicate a good game. By the way, those stats were Mason Rudolph's if you remove the 71 yard TD pass to Johnson against the Ravens.

I appreciate the effort you have put into this. In a nutshell, The NFL is a behemoth (as evidenced by SMF's TV top 100 post)

Bama, OSU and the bunch can make the effort to create their own NFL type league....but it would fail I think due to the sheer size / culture of the NFL viewing audience.

There's a danger that CFB could end up as irrelevant if the players get "too professional" and eliminates eligibility. The first time a guy skips the draft to stay in school it will turn into open warfare.

I personally don't think most schools are dumb enough to risk that but then you look over at FSU...

4c9.jpg

When CBS and Fox grab the NFL for Saturday night games which would be on the table during the next contract negotiations, then you will see the college money deals probably shrink a bit.

Of course by that time there will be only one mega college organization of 40-50 teams and they will have streaming money also. Just don’t think that the greedy nfl and their billionaire owners aren’t going to grab all they can on the next go round.

They could call it the USFL! Or the XFL!

And it will be just as successful.
Nope, it would be "THE NFL" because it would eventually have all of the players that the NFL drafts on a yearly basis. It would be even MORE successful then the NFL because of the number of teams involved. The reality of it is, it would probably never happen because all of the money that the NFL owners could put together to protect their cash cow. The universities obviously would have more money if they all banded together against the NFL in a lawsuit, but neither side would want the bad PR it would bring.
By the way, if it would occur, I am willing to bet you that there would be no USFL, XFL or UFL team that could defeat a team full of graduates from a Power 5 program like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, USC, LSU, Texas, etc... .

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
When CBS and Fox grab the NFL for Saturday night games which would be on the table during the next contract negotiations, then you will see the college money deals probably shrink a bit.

Of course by that time there will be only one mega college organization of 40-50 teams and they will have streaming money also. Just don’t think that the greedy nfl and their billionaire owners aren’t going to grab all they can on the next go round.

The NFL should play every day but Fridays

Sunday - Fox, CBS, NBC
Monday - ESPN
Tuesday - Turner
Wednesday- SMFN
Thursday- Amazon
Friday - CW

Justify the Friday night game by giving every HS football program in the county $10K or something like that.

They could call it the USFL! Or the XFL!

And it will be just as successful.
- If this college football nonsense continues to escalate, a cataclysmic battle in court between the NFL and college football lies in our future. As college football's leadership continues to show us all their end game (suck up as much money as possible into their bank accounts) sooner or later a couple of them (and it will spread quickly among other teams) will come to the conclusion that the NFL is not really needed. It is then that the 32 NFL owners and all of the billions of dollars that their league generates will come together and realize that their livelihood is in danger.
I know that it sounds far fetched, but is it really? Think about it. College football has already become a professional sports league. The players are already being paid for everything that their agents (sorry NCAA, their representatives) tell them that should be getting paid some money to do. Everything from being paid to make an official visit to a school, to their negotiated salary (NIL) for that upcoming season. College football IS a professional sports league.
What is to stop, say the Power 5 schools from banding together and take that next step towards to the land of NFL type money for their programs? Nothing.
While the first 10-20 years of the transitioning from an amateur to professional sports model might be a little troublesome, after that the new professional sports league would be up and running smoothly. Just imagine a professional football league with teams from the states like Alabama, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oregon, Utah, etc... Schools will realize that they do not need to lose their players after they graduate, just pay them larger amounts of money and keep them together in the new professional league. I mean, most of the Power 5 schools, already have their own stadiums (not saying a word abut Pitt) and most have fan bases that are as large, if not larger then the average NFL team. Imagine a University of Alabama professional sports team with current NFL Super Stars on it like...QB Jalen Hurts, a backfield of RB Derrick Henry and RB Najee Harris, WR corps of DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle and Amari Cooper. The attendance at games would be phenomenal. Fans would become even more loyal to their schools then they are now. Those Super Star athletes their schools have developed will be with their teams until they retire, the money coming into the schools would be incredible and since that is all that the colleges seem concerned about it makes perfect sense. I know it sounds foolish, but is it really?
- Now I do not know Kenny Pickett personally, he does seem to be a rather laid back kind of guy. He doesn't come across as the type of player, especially as a rookie player, who is going to come into a new situation and buck the system in place. By that I mean, if he is being told by his new HC (Tomlin) and his new OC (Canada) to play the game a certain way, he is going to play the game the way he is being told to do. We have all heard Tomlin and Canada talking about having Kenny Pickett be smart with the ball, don't put the ball at risk, take the low risk throws, etc... . This is what Pickett did, it did not work as planned. It was (and still is) a pathetic 2023 NFL offense. while other QB's are going out and throwing 30-35 times a game and putting up 30+ points on a regular basis, the Steelers were playing 1990's NFL football. Pickett's stats looked terrible when compared to other NFL QB's and they were. The Steelers offense looked pathetic and it was. It was not Pickett's fault. That blame, all 100% of it, lies at the feet of Tomlin and Canada. The reason Pickett looked so good in those 4th quarter drives was, he was just being an athlete during those drives and making decisions based upon what he saw, not what he was being told to do. For any one who thinks that Mason Rudolph is the answer, I ask you this...is a QB who is 17-19 and throws for 81 yards, having a good game? For me, those stats would not indicate a good game. By the way, those stats were Mason Rudolph's if you remove the 71 yard TD pass to Johnson against the Ravens.
NOTHING will chop into the dominance of the NFL. The NFL could eliminate college football in one stroke by drafting high School kids.

The NFL should play every day but Fridays

Sunday - Fox, CBS, NBC
Monday - ESPN
Tuesday - Turner
Wednesday- SMFN
Thursday- Amazon
Friday - CW

Justify the Friday night game by giving every HS football program in the county $10K or something like that.
That would be a very foolish thing for them to do. The logistics would make it difficult, but that could be worked. The on-field product would suffer as we know from Thursday games, but they don't care about that. But the nail in the coffin would be overexposure. It would be a great money maker at first, with TV throwing tons of money at it, but in the long run, it would just be overexposed and in 20 years the ratings/numbers (whatever system is used to judge viewership) will be dismal.

What made the NFL better than the other pro leagues was that it was just 1 day a week. Then when MNF started, everyone viewed it as a big deal to play on national TV. A person who lacked time had to be a casual fan of their pro baseball/basketball/hockey team. But in football, they were able to be more than a casual fan, since it was just one day a week when they were likely off work. The game was played in the afternoon (mornings on the West Coast) so they did not need to worry about staying up late on a work night. This allowed a hardcore fan base to be built. Your plan would kill that. Yes, it would make money initially and followed a lot the 1st few years, but long term, it would be a disaster.

I don't think CBS, FOX and NBC will want to spend the extra cash on Saturday Night NFL games, remember they all wanted a lower rate for the Thursday Night games which why they're now in Amazon, plus they don't want to keep diluting the Sunday games they're paying billions for.

Reactions: 303vND
I don't think CBS, FOX and NBC will want to spend the extra cash on Saturday Night NFL games, remember they all wanted a lower rate for the Thursday Night games which why they're now in Amazon, plus they don't want to keep diluting the Sunday games they're paying billions for.
I'm guessing a substandard matchup does better on Thursday than it will on Sunday when it's not getting a national audience. If that's the case, Thursday is still effectively worth more.

First of all, thanks for the effort. You made a few good points however, I think the basic premise (that college football can directly compete with the NFL) is flawed.

You noted that what drives colleges (and the NFL) is money. What drives the money is TV and what drives TV is ad dollars (and to a lesser extent subscriptions). What drives the entire bus is viewership. In the end, it's the market that will determine where the money goes and the NFL largely owns the market (certainly, it owns the major media markets). Furthermore, one league (college football) has to share their money with other sports to comply with Title 9 mandates. The NFL has no such mandate so all the money goes to the owners/coaches/players.

All that said, it's clear that college football is going to change rapidly over the next few years. I doubt that they will ever get to the point that they attempt to directly challenge the NFL. In any case, it will be interesting to watch this roll out.

Cruzer

Last edited:

I’m pretty sure that it’s illegal for the NFL to schedule Friday and Saturday games during high school/college football season.

I’m pretty sure that it’s illegal for the NFL to schedule Friday and Saturday games during high school/college football season.
It is, everyone here for some reason thinks the NFL is going try to get out of it by claiming college football is now professional and therefore they can have Saturday games, its a silly theory that'll never even come close to happening.

Also, one of the main reasons the NFL started Thursday Night games is due to it being the night with the highest ad rates, the networks have always charged more on Thursday nights since movie studios fight over those slots to promote the new flicks coming out Friday.

The NFL doesn’t care about any of that. They will at some point have a Saturday night game

It is, everyone here for some reason thinks the NFL is going try to get out of it by claiming college football is now professional and therefore they can have Saturday games, its a silly theory that'll never even come close to happening.

Also, one of the main reasons the NFL started Thursday Night games is due to it being the night with the highest ad rates, the networks have always charged more on Thursday nights since movie studios fight over those slots to promote the new flicks coming out Friday.
People actually think the NFL is going to go to court to try and get out of a major stipulation that underpins their antitrust exemption and allows them to make their tv revenue? The exemption that is already being threatened because they put ONE PLAYOFF GAME on a streaming service rather than broadcast.

But yeah, they are going to pick a fight with 50 attorneys general and countless congresspeople to compete directly with state-funded universities over Saturday nights.

Did you add this extended whine at the end to see if anyone was still reading?

Creating their own minor league would be plenty.
Best thing that could happen to college football...Turn college football into an educational based scholarship situation the way it was intended . Do something crazy and come up with a nationwide academic merit requirement to enroll. Play football young man and matriculate based on your grades for free...... The NFL will then have their poorly attended minor league system with 4 and 5 star kids who choose to go that route based on skill or lack of academic prowess and we can get back to rooting for one university team plaything another university team to substantially larger audiences....

The reality of it is, it would probably never happen because all of the money that the NFL owners could put together to protect their cash cow.

Hey, now you are starting to get it.

How long do you think it would take after the colleges said that they were going to "go after" the NFL for the NFL to completely change their system, their draft rules and add a minor league to name two things, to eliminate college football as any sort of potential threat ever again? Five minutes? Three? One? Because it surely wouldn't be much more than that.

If the NFL wants (and it was legal), it could squash college football at any time. And the colleges know it. Which is why they would never, ever be dumb enough to try to compete with the NFL. And why they are very, very happy that the NFL is forbidden by law of competing with them.

Perhaps you remember, it wasn't really all that long ago that Thursday night college football was becoming a pretty big thing. They were getting some good games with some good teams involved. And the NFL saw that, and they put a game on Thursday.

And what happened to all those good Thursday night college matchups? They went back to Saturday. Because those games got crushed in the ratings.

Reactions: bayardstreet
There are reasons why there aren't NFL franchises in Birmingham, Oklahoma City, State College, etc.........

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT