ADVERTISEMENT

USF stupidly wasting money on an on-campus stadium

Ha! Fools! Why do they and 99% of major colleges think it's better to have an on-campus stadium? They should follow Pitt’s lead.

"Our deal with the stadium currently, as you know, does not provide us concessions, does not provide us parking revenue, limited sponsorship revenue and certainly no naming rights or premium revenue, so these are all the revenue sources that we are eager to have in the new facility," USF Vice President and Director of Athletics Michael Kelly said.

Wait till they have all those people walking around campus on weekends spending money which will also provide excitement for students and rekindle the positive nostalgic memories of alumni only to have to deal with all those cars and traffic congestion! Fools!

Everyone knows college football is meant to be played off-campus miles away from student housing.

What a waste. They have an excellent NFL venue that is great for college football. They should be spending this money on what's actually important like Olympic sports and academics.

Yeah, academics should be waaay down the list of priorities for an institution of higher learning. :rolleyes:

Good thing that Pitts not spending hundreds of millions on athletic facilities.....oh wait.

What a waste. They have an excellent NFL venue that is great for college football. They should be spending this money on what's actually important like Olympic sports and academics.

University of Pittsburgh.....145 acres
University of South Florida (Tampa).....1,500+ acres

Mr. Ed has been dead for over 50 years, what kind of sadistic goofball keeps beating his corpse over and over again?

University of Pittsburgh.....145 acres
University of South Florida (Tampa).....1,500+ acres

Mr. Ed has been dead for over 50 years, what kind of sadistic goofball keeps beating his corpse over and over again?

What is your point? USF has an unbelievable venue already. This is a huge waste of money, especially since they are a G5 school. They should continue to follow the Pitt model and spend the money on Olympic sports. On campus stadiums are not necessary. Even at places like Michigan, Washington, Indiana, Minnesota, etc, those stadiums should be torn down to make room for dorms, parking, academic buildings, etc and the teams should play in nearby NFL stadiums.

What is your point? USF has an unbelievable venue already. This is a huge waste of money, especially since they are a G5 school. They should continue to follow the Pitt model and spend the money on Olympic sports. On campus stadiums are not necessary. Even at places like Michigan, Washington, Indiana, Minnesota, etc, those stadiums should be torn down to make room for dorms, parking, academic buildings, etc and the teams should play in nearby NFL stadiums.
my point is that if Pitt had 1,500 acres of space you would have a point but this constant "look who is getting a stadium" talk is your self pleasure lotion of choice..

Ha! Fools! Why do they and 99% of major colleges think it's better to have an on-campus stadium? They should follow Pitt’s lead.

"Our deal with the stadium currently, as you know, does not provide us concessions, does not provide us parking revenue, limited sponsorship revenue and certainly no naming rights or premium revenue, so these are all the revenue sources that we are eager to have in the new facility," USF Vice President and Director of Athletics Michael Kelly said.

Wait till they have all those people walking around campus on weekends spending money which will also provide excitement for students and rekindle the positive nostalgic memories of alumni only to have to deal with all those cars and traffic congestion! Fools!

Everyone knows college football is meant to be played off-campus miles away from student housing.
How does Pitt’s stadium agreement compare to the things that are listed in that quote? Isn’t that a relevant consideration?

my point is that if Pitt had 1,500 acres of space you would have a point but this constant "look who is getting a stadium" talk is your self pleasure lotion of choice..
This is still a proposal, shovels aren't in the ground yet, just like all of the proposed Miami stadiums that get posted here every few years.

Also, isn't $340 million what Texas High Schools are spending on stadiums now?

Last time I looked, that project is much more than “a volleyball arena.” And Pitt did not have to buy and demolish any buildings to make it happen.

And the notion that the Field House is a "perfectly good" venue could only be uttered by someone who doesn't care about the sports that play there at all. Or who hasn't actually been in the Field House in literally decades.

Or, most likely, both of those.

And the notion that the Field House is a "perfectly good" venue could only be uttered by someone who doesn't care about the sports that play there at all. Or who hasn't actually been in the Field House in literally decades.

Or, most likely, both of those.

The Field House is producing National Champion contending volleyball teams. What else more does the volleyball team need? Would they have won the last 2 or 3 NCs had they been playing in a new arena? Yes, the place is a dump. But volleyball is money-losing program winning at historic levels. Pump money into coaching, not buildings. The Field House is sufficient.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
The Field House is producing National Champion contending volleyball teams. What else more does the volleyball team need? Would they have won the last 2 or 3 NCs had they been playing in a new arena? Yes, the place is a dump. But volleyball is money-losing program winning at historic levels. Pump money into coaching, not buildings. The Field House is sufficient.

Like I said, I can completely understand how someone who doesn't care at all about the teams that plays there could think that.

Similarly, I guess, there was no need for Pitt to renovate Hillman. Or a few years back to renovate Benedum. Or any of the other buildings that the school owns. I mean if they were good enough at one time, how is it even theoretically possible that they wouldn't be good enough going forward? I mean the Field House is only 70-something years old. Why would anyone think that a 70+ year old facility might need completely renovated or replaced?

Like I said, I can completely understand how someone who doesn't care at all about the teams that plays there could think that.

Similarly, I guess, there was no need for Pitt to renovate Hillman. Or a few years back to renovate Benedum. Or any of the other buildings that the school owns. I mean if they were good enough at one time, how is it even theoretically possible that they wouldn't be good enough going forward? I mean the Field House is only 70-something years old. Why would anyone think that a 70+ year old facility might need completely renovated or replaced?

I dare you to answer this: how much better would we have done the last few years had the team been playing in a great arena. My answer: the exact same result.

Its good enough for a money-losing program

Joe...Just wondering if you feel the same way about the 97 year old Cathedral of Learning?

The area of campus where the stadium is being located is devoid of much else. So it won't be much of a game day experience. Nor will people be hanging around because the USF campus isn't in the nicest end of town. In fact, it's kind of skeezy.

Furthermore, the construction costs are going to HEAVILY financed by liens on revenue streams. With thier sparse crowds, it will be time for a new stadium by the time the construction liens are paid off. And why build a new stadium when USF has ZERO hope of getting into a Power 5 conference -- even less so in the new world order of college football?

I dare you to answer this: how much better would we have done the last few years had the team been playing in a great arena. My answer: the exact same result.

I dare you to answer this. How many more games would Pitt football have won over the last couple of years if they had an on campus stadium?

And when I say that I dare you to answer it, I don't mean lie and make something up. I mean admit that the actual answer is not even one.

Joe...Just wondering if you feel the same way about the 97 year old Cathedral of Learning?

Absolutely. And so does the University. As evidenced by the fact that the University has spent a ton of money over the years renovating and updating the building.

If the University told you that instead of spending the money building a new building that they were completely gutting the Field House and rebuilding the whole building while spending the same amount of money would you feel better about the whole thing?

The Field House simply can't be brought up to modern standards by some minor renovations. Which is obvious to anyone whose been in the building in the last decade or two. The Cathedral doesn't have that problem.

Absolutely. And so does the University. As evidenced by the fact that the University has spent a ton of money over the years renovating and updating the building.

If the University told you that instead of spending the money building a new building that they were completely gutting the Field House and rebuilding the whole building while spending the same amount of money would you feel better about the whole thing?

The Field House simply can't be brought up to modern standards by some minor renovations. Which is obvious to anyone whose been in the building in the last decade or two. The Cathedral doesn't have that problem.
For me personally, I'd rather play in a building that has "history" associated with it. I'd rather see the basketball team play in the Field House. That's just my opinion, others may disagree. Had the same feeling when Pitt tried to change the colors of the athletic teams uniforms. Thankfully they went back to something that looked like the school colors when I was there...Royal Blue and Antique Gold.

Questions: How would an on campus stadium affect Pitt’s relationship with the Steelers?

Would Pitt still practice at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex?

The relationship with the Steelers has been very valuable to the program.

If an on campus stadium adversely affects that relationship, is the on campus stadium worth it?

Questions: How would an on campus stadium affect Pitt’s relationship with the Steelers?

Would Pitt still practice at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex?

The relationship with the Steelers has been very valuable to the program.

If an on campus stadium adversely affects that relationship, is the on campus stadium worth it?

How has it been very valuable?

Reactions: 4382
Lots of recruits mentioned how blown away they were that Pitt practiced right next door to the Steelers and how they shared facilities. It’s a unique situation that others schools don’t have. From a recruiting stand point it has helped.

Then why isn't Pitt’s recruiting the best in the ACC? Not even close to that and do those other schools share facilities with an NFL team?

I dare you to answer this. How many more games would Pitt football have won over the last couple of years if they had an on campus stadium?

And when I say that I dare you to answer it, I don't mean lie and make something up. I mean admit that the actual answer is not even one.

Better atmosphere = better recruiting = better players = better results.

Because it takes almost as much time to get to RJ Stadium from campus as it is from Coral Gables to HR. The Canes can’t draw flies and Hard Rock is a kick ass facility
I work two blocks down from RJ Stadium. Good luck getting students to go to games from campus. Even for the UCF game a few years back USF still had 25k empty seats.
Building 35k for a start ain’t bad. You can always add on.

Lots of recruits mentioned how blown away they were that Pitt practiced right next door to the Steelers and how they shared facilities. It’s a unique situation that others schools don’t have. From a recruiting stand point it has helped.

That's what they say, but Pitt's recruiting has been the same for a long time now.

Reactions: cbpitt2

I will happy to answer after you answer mine first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT