ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Olympic Qualifying

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Drawn into a tough group with Mexico and Costa Rica (Dominican Republic is the other team).

Olympic soccer is U23s but the US allegedly has a lot of young talent. The downside is the best players probably will not want to or be allowed by their clubs to play.

I mean the US could almost roll out a "senior team" and still be U23s.

Christian Pulisic
Tim Weah
Tyler Adams
Josh Sargent
Serginio Dest
Weston McKennie

In Tokyo, I believe you are still allowed 3 overage players but not in qualifying.

I think what US Soccer has failed to realize is that even though Olympic soccer is really a nothing tournament in world football, Americans dont know that and Americans LOVE the Olympics. If the US was able to put together an "A" U23 squad for this, I really believe they'd have a shot to win it. It would essentially be their Senior National Team. But instead, in typical US fashion, we'll send a B team over there or wont even qualify in the first place.

Hypothetically, if Pulisic and McKennie lead this team to the semi or Gold Medal match, Americans would watch in huge numbers and for a program that missed an entire World Cup and lost a generation of fans because of it, you'd think they do everything in their power to put their best on the field in Tokyo. Yea, I know Chelsea and Schalke probably wont let them play but compensate them or take out lucrative insurance policies on them. This is a big opportunity.

It all comes down to their first qualifying match vs Costa Rica. If we figure both of those teams will lose to Mexico, the USA/CR winner will move on the semis and the loser will essentially be eliminated.

Reactions: Pitt79
Drawn into a tough group with Mexico and Costa Rica (Dominican Republic is the other team).

Olympic soccer is U23s but the US allegedly has a lot of young talent. The downside is the best players probably will not want to or be allowed by their clubs to play.

I mean the US could almost roll out a "senior team" and still be U23s.

Christian Pulisic
Tim Weah
Tyler Adams
Josh Sargent
Serginio Dest
Weston McKennie

In Tokyo, I believe you are still allowed 3 overage players but not in qualifying.

I think what US Soccer has failed to realize is that even though Olympic soccer is really a nothing tournament in world football, Americans dont know that and Americans LOVE the Olympics. If the US was able to put together an "A" U23 squad for this, I really believe they'd have a shot to win it. It would essentially be their Senior National Team. But instead, in typical US fashion, we'll send a B team over there or wont even qualify in the first place.

Hypothetically, if Pulisic and McKennie lead this team to the semi or Gold Medal match, Americans would watch in huge numbers and for a program that missed an entire World Cup and lost a generation of fans because of it, you'd think they do everything in their power to put their best on the field in Tokyo. Yea, I know Chelsea and Schalke probably wont let them play but compensate them or take out lucrative insurance policies on them. This is a big opportunity.

It all comes down to their first qualifying match vs Costa Rica. If we figure both of those teams will lose to Mexico, the USA/CR winner will move on the semis and the loser will essentially be eliminated.
We should send our best and generate the buzz.

Heck yea. If it were me, I'd put everything I had in getting these teams and clubs to sign on. As a Chelsea fan, what would you think of Pulisic missing training camp and risking injury? 1 answer as a US Fan, 1 answer taking your US shades off. I'd hype the sh!t out of it basically saying this is the favorite to win the Gold and how superhuman these guys are even though thats a lie. They could get regular Muricans to tune in and if they advance, the buzz will build. And I really do think a quasi-senior USMNT could win the Gold vs other countries U23. I wouldn't bet on it and they wouldn't be the favorites but they'd have a chance.

Reactions: Pitt79
Heck yea. If it were me, I'd put everything I had in getting these teams and clubs to sign on. As a Chelsea fan, what would you think of Pulisic missing training camp and risking injury? 1 answer as a US Fan, 1 answer taking your US shades off. I'd hype the sh!t out of it basically saying this is the favorite to win the Gold and how superhuman these guys are even though thats a lie. They could get regular Muricans to tune in and if they advance, the buzz will build. And I really do think a quasi-senior USMNT could win the Gold vs other countries U23. I wouldn't bet on it and they wouldn't be the favorites but they'd have a chance.
As a Chelsea fan I’d hate it, but as an American it would be worth it. Other Chelsea fans around the world won’t like it but Chelsea is clearly deep enough to be able to handle it. Plus, when Chelsea gets Sancho this summer from dortmund, it’s unfortunately back to the bench for Christian anyway. And if Christian comes to camp late, It will set him behind and he will be transfer out in January or Summer 2021. I’ll be pissed.

And if Christian comes to camp late, It will set him behind and he will be transfer out in January or Summer 2021. I’ll be pissed.

Which is why he wont do it. However, maybe he can camp with Chelsea then leave camp like 2-3 days prior to the US's first match or even 2nd match, or maybe even the knockout round if they make it so he only spends 1-2 weeks with the US team. All options have to be considered.

USA Men's Soccer never won anything but the Gold Cup basically, right? Quit trying to act like you are Germany or Brazil. Winning the Olympics is not beneath the USA, it's ABOVE anything USA Men's Soccer has ever done, it would be the biggest trophy in the trophy case.

It would be great to send the best we have under 23 (Pulisic and McKennie included) and give these guys some “big event” experience. No the tourney itself is nothing (definitely way less interesting and significant than the women’s side), but the event is obviously huge and that experience could serve these guys well for 2022 if we qualify.

USA Men's Soccer never won anything but the Gold Cup basically, right? Quit trying to act like you are Germany or Brazil. Winning the Olympics is not beneath the USA, it's ABOVE anything USA Men's Soccer has ever done, it would be the biggest trophy in the trophy case.

I don't think they'd win it but our BEST U23s would have a chance vs 2nd tier U23s from Germany, Brazil, France. And the Olympics is a different tournament. Only 16 teams. Only 4 European teams. 8 are from Asia, Africa, and Oceania. Its a much easier tournament to win. But Americans dont know that so if Pulisic and Co. reached the final, Americans will think this is some Golden Generation.

It wasn't all that long ago that the US men made the semifinals of an Olympic soccer tournament that was held in that part of the world. And we all remember the overwhelming publicity that team got, and the huge explosion it caused in American soccer.

o_O

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about how you think that the US men competing for a gold medal in soccer is going to somehow jump start interest in soccer in the US when in fact the US men made the semifinals of the Olympic soccer tournament not all that long ago, at a place where the games were played in the middle of the night just like they will be at this year's tournament, and pretty much no one cared at all.

As is evidenced by the fact that a soccer super fan such as yourself clearly knows nothing at all about it.

The only people who will care if the US men make a run at the championship at the Olympics is people who are already soccer fans. Random people are not waking up at 3 AM on a Wednesday to watch the US men U23s play a game against Cameroon.

The only people who will care if the US men make a run at the championship at the Olympics is people who are already soccer fans. Random people are not waking up at 3 AM on a Wednesday to watch the US men U23s play a game against Cameroon.

I never wouldn't either, I'd DVR it avoid the score until later.

That's part of why I prefer MLS to BPL, because I don't want to wake up at 7am and watch sports.

the US men made the semifinals of the Olympic soccer tournament not all that long ago

what Olympics was that? It wasnt China where they didn't even make it out of their group.

Also, the Gold Medal Match is at 7AM EST. There are 2 quarterfinals at 7AM and 1 semifinal at 7AM. While I dont think America will shut down and there will be massive ratings for these if the US makes it, the ratings would be fairly good and it would elevate soccer in this country slightly. Again, Americans dont know Olympic soccer is nothing but they love the Olympics, I'd expect a US/Brazil gold medal match at 7AM to outdraw a Liverpool/Chelsea match in a morning timeslot and that's what this country needs. The US men have not played a game the average American cares about in 6 years and has 3 more years to go until they play the next game the country cares about. They need this. But we'll send some MLS and European reserves and wont make it out of the group.

Last edited:
There are 2 quarterfinals at 7AM and 1 semifinal at 7AM.

Which means there are two quarterfinals and two semifinals that will start around 3AM. And in any event, that semifinal will be on what, a Thursday? So you think that people who aren't soccer fans are going to stay home from work or go in to work late to watch a U23 soccer game at 7AM on the Thursday?

Which means there are two quarterfinals and two semifinals that will start around 3AM. And in any event, that semifinal will be on what, a Thursday? So you think that people who aren't soccer fans are going to stay home from work or go in to work late to watch a U23 soccer game at 7AM on the Thursday?

First of all, nobody knows its U23 so that's out. Second of all, NBC would replay it and they would market it heavily.

A USA Gold Medal match at 7AM on a Sunday would do as well as the EPL

Everyone isn't as clueless as you seem to be.

What percentage of American olympic watchers will know its U23? I have talked to many soccer fans over the years about Olympic soccer and literally only 1 guy ever knew it was U23. I'd go with 99% of American olympic viewers wont know especially because the women's isnt

What percentage of American olympic watchers will know its U23? I have talked to many soccer fans over the years about Olympic soccer and literally only 1 guy ever knew it was U23. I'd go with 99% of American olympic viewers wont know especially because the women's isnt

What percentage of American Olympic watchers care even a wee little bit about soccer in the first place?

Like I said, non-soccer fans are not getting up at 3AM to watch ANY American soccer team play in any event. They aren't staying at home on a weekday to watch a game that starts at 7AM. And the proof of that is that the last time it happened soccer super fan SMF apparently knew nothing about it at all.

What percentage of American Olympic watchers care even a wee little bit about soccer in the first place?

Like I said, non-soccer fans are not getting up at 3AM to watch ANY American soccer team play in any event. They aren't staying at home on a weekday to watch a game that starts at 7AM. And the proof of that is that the last time it happened soccer super fan SMF apparently knew nothing about it at all.

Nobody is waking up at 3. People will watch a 7AM game. More than that is the buzz it will generate. Heck, I watch Olympic hockey and I dont like the sport.

Again, when did the US men make the semis of the olympics?

Found this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...-playing-for-us-at-2020-olympics?platform=amp

I hope they make it happen. If anything, they owe it to their fans. We cant go 8.5 years between World Cups. This would essentially be the 2022 World Cup team playing at the 2020 Olympics. I used to watch every USMNT friendly and followed the team closely but since the TT debacle, I havent watched anything but the Gold Cup and a couple friendlies. They need to start winning back a fanbase.

Trying to tbink of my lineup:

FW - Tim Weah (Lille)
FW - Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen)
RM - Christian Pulisic (Chelsea)
CM - Weston McKennie (Schalke)
CM - Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas)
LM - Djodjie Mihailovic (Chicago Fire)
RB - Serginio Dest (Ajax)
CB - Cameron Carter-Vickers (Stoke)
CB - Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake)
LB - Tyler Adams (Leipzig)

I'd probably bring in an overage player at GK and CB.

That's 3 MLS starters. A Premier League starter, a Bundesliga starter, 2 guys who get regular playing time in the Bundeslifa, a Championship starter, a guy who gets regular PT in the Eredivisie. For U23s, that's a good squad.

Do you not know how to use a search engine?

2000. I didn't even watch soccer back then and had no clue they finished 4th and I certainly wouldn't have known it was U23. I dont think I knew that until the 2004 or 2008 Olympics. That was also an odd olympiad because it was in the fall since it was in Australia. I pretty much didnt even watch that olympics. As for whether it moved the needle, soccer in this country went on meteoric rise from 1994 on so I would have to think that the 2000 Olympic run helped.

Anyway, 20 years ago is a long time and soccer in this country is much different. You said not that long ago. There is now a dedicated fanbase of people who are used to watching soccer games early in the morning. If the US team behind their young "stars" could make it to the Gold Medal game, there would be palpable buzz for that.

Although it may be gradually changing, most Americans are still not soccer fans and only have their kids playing it because they perceive it to be safer than US Football. Their interest in the US Olympic or World Cup Soccer Teams is probably only slightly greater than their interest would be in Tennis.

The average American Olympics fan will merely check the score in the morning to see if the US won but won't bother to watch live what they have been conditioned to view as long, tedious and boring.

By the way, the recent "perceived as unpatriotic" behavior by some members of the US women's soccer team is no doubt losing US fan support for women's Olympic and World Cup soccer because most average Americans liked it primarily because it was highly successful and made them proud to be Americans and not because they loved the game of soccer itself.

Last edited:

They would care at least a little bit if the USA got into the final, just like hockey 1980. Hockey was way less popular in the USA before that game. I was 21, lived in the Pittsburgh area, and I'm sure I had never watched a single Penguins game before that.

And why see it live, I would DVR and watch later.

And no matter what, the USWNT will get better ratings and more visibility — and deservedly so.

And no matter what, the USWNT will get better ratings and more visibility — and deservedly so.

Their "run" will also be a great opportunity to promote the men's team. In similar time spot, the men (if its Pulisic, McKennie, etc) will get more viewers than the women for the semifinals and finals

They would care at least a little bit if the USA got into the final, just like hockey 1980. Hockey was way less popular in the USA before that game.

But of course the hockey game was a big deal for reasons that went far beyond a medal round Olympic hockey game. There is no 2020 equivalent of what the US - Russia game meant in 1980 beyond the actual game, and it's not even close.

And let's not forget that hockey was so popular at the time that the game wasn't even shown live, it was shown on a tape delay.

And let's not forget that hockey was so popular at the time that the game wasn't even shown live, it was shown on a tape delay.
But there was no internet or anything so I remember watching it and not knowing who had won. It was actually the first time I ever watched a full hockey game. Myself, I would like the USA team to make a run with their best players, but I DON'T CARE if it generates interest in the sport, I just want to see it for my personal entertainment.

I'm talking about how you think that the US men competing for a gold medal in soccer is going to somehow jump start interest in soccer in the US when in fact the US men made the semifinals of the Olympic soccer tournament not all that long ago, at a place where the games were played in the middle of the night just like they will be at this year's tournament, and pretty much no one cared at all.

As is evidenced by the fact that a soccer super fan such as yourself clearly knows nothing at all about it.

That's funny you said this. In what seems to be more and more of an "Anti West" approach by the USOC, it is why the NHL has pulled its commitment from hockey. They keep on placing the Olympic venues in Asia and the East, and the games are in the middle of the night or early morning, so they get no buzz. So the NHL has basically told them to "eff off".

Think about it. It was in Vancouver in 2010.
Russia (Sochi) in 2014. They had to go here, knowing the strong Russian influence
South Korea in 2018.
It will be Beijing in 2022
Italy in 2026.

In 30+ years (since 1988) there have been 11 Winter Olympics held, only 3 in the Western Hemisphere. (Calgary, Salt Lake City and Vancouver).

Their "run" will also be a great opportunity to promote the men's team. In similar time spot, the men (if its Pulisic, McKennie, etc) will get more viewers than the women for the semifinals and finals
Well that's the beauty of the Olympics because if both the men and women were in a gold medal match in the same Games, we would finally be able to have an apple-to-apples comparison between the two.

That's funny you said this. In what seems to be more and more of an "Anti West" approach by the USOC, it is why the NHL has pulled its commitment from hockey. They keep on placing the Olympic venues in Asia and the East, and the games are in the middle of the night or early morning, so they get no buzz. So the NHL has basically told them to "eff off".

Think about it. It was in Vancouver in 2010.
Russia (Sochi) in 2014. They had to go here, knowing the strong Russian influence
South Korea in 2018.
It will be Beijing in 2022
Italy in 2026.

In 30+ years (since 1988) there have been 11 Winter Olympics held, only 3 in the Western Hemisphere. (Calgary, Salt Lake City and Vancouver).
So they have to place the Olympics to accommodate US fans and NBC?

So they have to place the Olympics to accommodate US fans and NBC?

Well they do make far more money from US television rights than any other source, and the IOC loves nothing more than money, so you can bet that it's a consideration in every decision.

But someone actually has to want to host the games before they can put them there, and it's getting harder and harder to find places willing to do it.

The USMNT caught a break in that Michael Bradley is out 4 months. Hopefully this will be the end of his national team career. Its not his fault and its an indictment of US Soccer that there aren't any up and coming #6's who can win his job but I say screw it. Give it to Will Trapp or Cristian Roldan or some other MLS also-ran and be done with it. While you're at it, its time to put Jozy out to pasture. I will always remember that generation as losers who couldn't do something everyone else who came before them did.

The USMNT caught a break in that Michael Bradley is out 4 months. Hopefully this will be the end of his national team career. Its not his fault and its an indictment of US Soccer that there aren't any up and coming #6's who can win his job but I say screw it. Give it to Will Trapp or Cristian Roldan or some other MLS also-ran and be done with it. While you're at it, its time to put Jozy out to pasture. I will always remember that generation as losers who couldn't do something everyone else who came before them did.
They weren't bad in the 2014 WC, they did make the knockout round.

It’s really too bad. I’ve never been a big follower of the men’s team because Concacaf blows, but I am starting to follow it a bit more now. What I will always remember about Jozy is not his goals, but the passion and toughness that he sometimes brought. Just wish I could remember him for his prowlness inside the box and sniping abilities.

It’s really too bad. I’ve never been a big follower of the men’s team because Concacaf blows, but I am starting to follow it a bit more now. What I will always remember about Jozy is not his goals, but the passion and toughness that he sometimes brought. Just wish I could remember him for his prowlness inside the box and sniping abilities.
So you purely watch soccer based on "quality" and not team or country. USA is in a lesser league so you'd rather watch France vs. Germany, because the players are more skilled?

I guess I just find it weird, I absolutely need "rooting interest" above all else to sit through almost any sports event, So USA Gold Cup games are easy to watch and I couldn't sit through a top UEFA game because caring who wins, matters more to me than the soccer skills by the individual players.

I have my DVR set to record all USAMNT games, and those are games that I can get into, because I can care about USA winning, no matter how poor the quality of the opponent.

So you purely watch soccer based on "quality" and not team or country. USA is in a lesser league so you'd rather watch France vs. Germany, because the players are more skilled?

I guess I just find it weird, I absolutely need "rooting interest" above all else to sit through almost any sports event, So USA Gold Cup games are easy to watch and I couldn't sit through a top UEFA game because caring who wins, matters more to me than the soccer skills by the individual players.

I have my DVR set to record all USAMNT games, and those are games that I can get into, because I can care about USA winning, no matter how poor the quality of the opponent.
I don’t watch much international soccer at all. It’s not great soccer. I do watch the World Cup though.

I just can’t get up for a game that has no meaning in a half empty stadium vs some island with athletes I’ve never heard of. But I’m trying. I enjoyed the Gold Cup match between the US and Mexico that we lost.

The rooting interest thing is the main reason yinzers and typical Americans cant get into soccer. Because there’s no rooting interest, they don’t have the capacity to sit and appreciate what they are watching. Therefore, they’re missing out on great sports entertainment every Saturday and Sunday morning when EPL games are on.

The rooting interest thing is the main reason yinzers and typical Americans cant get into soccer. Because there’s no rooting interest, they don’t have the capacity to sit and appreciate what they are watching. Therefore, they’re missing out on great sports entertainment every Saturday and Sunday morning when EPL games are on.
Maybe, but I have developed rooting interest for teams in soccer, I have favorite teams, I'm a fan of USAMNT, Olympiacos of Greece, DC United in MLS, even Baltimore Blast indoor soccer, I even enjoy MLS in general. I don't really care if it's minor league compared to EPL. But no matter how much I've tried, and I have, I cannot get myself to care about a team in an English or Spanish city, I am only a fan of Olympiacos because I've been to Greece 15 times, have family there, even been to a couple of their games. Sure sometimes I do watch EPL and yes, I am at awe at some of the plays those guys make, and yes, play like that is not the norm in MLS, but to me, that is always secondary to caring who wins. And I honestly don't like watching sports as soon as I wake up. So an MLS game at 6pm is often entertaining to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT