ADVERTISEMENT

Vadar- Basketball Update

rockypanther

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
I know I bust on ya but I appreciate your updates on our recruits. How are the guys coming in next year doing right now with their school ball? Which positions do you think will be best for he to start at Pitt with?

He’s working on his Grammy evals most likely…but I’ll offer the kid Lowe is the calmest quickest PG I’ve seen at that level in some time. What a young decent man.

I know I bust on ya but I appreciate your updates on our recruits. How are the guys coming in next year doing right now with their school ball? Which positions do you think will be best for he to start at Pitt with?

Nothing really has changed.

Lowe- PG
Carrington SG. Wing- I prefer him on the wing as a point forward to start off
Barnes- Wing, undersized PF in the Toney role

Lowe and Carrington are in the running for state player of the year. Barnes has been ok his senior season, but expectations with him should be limited as he is limited in terms of what he can do on offense. Barnes will be a 3 and D guy, primarily a spot up shooter at least starting off. Barnes minutes will be minimal his freshmen year. The other two are going to have significant roles from the get go.

With On3's updated rankings today, Carrington and Lowe are now in every top 100 ranking in the updated ratings. Prephoops has not updated yet on the national rankings but both Carrington and Lowe already got big bumps on the state level on their site.

If it was me, I would be looking for an athletic 3 level scorer to play SG next year or a player that can score in a variety of ways. A player like Jordan Dingle (NY) who plays at Penn who is going to transfer would be a great addition although competition to get him is going to be high.

Malachi Palmer might reclass. He has visited Pitt twice now, and we are in decent shape with about 5 other schools. He visited Pitt with Jalil Bethea and Carlton Carrington a month ago. Bethea has star potential but he is a 2024 kid.

Super weird that Lamothe has fallen off. I really think Carrington and Lamothe are 1A and 1B in Baltimore. I don’t think Hansberry is really too special - definitely not a top 50 player in the class.

Nothing really has changed.

Lowe- PG
Carrington SG. Wing- I prefer him on the wing as a point forward to start off
Barnes- Wing, undersized PF in the Toney role

Lowe and Carrington are in the running for state player of the year. Barnes has been ok his senior season, but expectations with him should be limited as he is limited in terms of what he can do on offense. Barnes will be a 3 and D guy, primarily a spot up shooter at least starting off. Barnes minutes will be minimal his freshmen year. The other two are going to have significant roles from the get go.

With On3's updated rankings today, Carrington and Lowe are now in every top 100 ranking in the updated ratings. Prephoops has not updated yet on the national rankings but both Carrington and Lowe already got big bumps on the state level on their site.

If it was me, I would be looking for an athletic 3 level scorer to play SG next year or a player that can score in a variety of ways. A player like Jordan Dingle (NY) who plays at Penn who is going to transfer would be a great addition although competition to get him is going to be high.

Malachi Palmer might reclass. He has visited Pitt twice now, and we are in decent shape with about 5 other schools. He visited Pitt with Jalil Bethea and Carlton Carrington a month ago. Bethea has star potential but he is a 2024 kid.

Any idea if Chris Ledlum will be back on the market once he gets his degree?

Reactions: Section 509
I would say it's probable and while I would love to get Ledlum, competition is going to be really high because of his size to go with his scoring ability.
So? Pitt is back!! When we make the Final 4 we'll be a destination for all the top kids!!

I have a kid I’m helping with his recruitment I’d love to end up at Pitt. Another guard, but he would outperform either of the guys we currently have committed. Had huge early offers but lacks that elite athleticism to keep the Kansas’ of the world interested. All he does is make 3’s, make the right play (dad is a coach), play hard as hell on defense and extremely high IQ. Wake asked if he could play 20 mins a game next year in the ACC. He could absolutely fill the Elliott role at the very worst and would never complain of transfer unless processed.

Think Issac McNeely with this kid. Nothing flashy. Kid just produces on the highest levels of AAU and HS hoops and was MVP of the biggest tournament in HS hoops.

Seton Hall the other I’ve been talking to the most besides Wake.

I have a kid I’m helping with his recruitment I’d love to end up at Pitt. Another guard, but he would outperform either of the guys we currently have committed. Had huge early offers but lacks that elite athleticism to keep the Kansas’ of the world interested. All he does is make 3’s, make the right play (dad is a coach), play hard as hell on defense and extremely high IQ. Wake asked if he could play 20 mins a game next year in the ACC. He could absolutely fill the Elliott role at the very worst and would never complain of transfer unless processed.

Think Issac McNeely with this kid. Nothing flashy. Kid just produces on the highest levels of AAU and HS hoops and was MVP of the biggest tournament in HS hoops.

I think that’s the kind of kid who is better suited for a Capel offense, rather than the chaos of the X and Trey years.

Super high efficient shot maker who doesn’t take bad shots. Every one should be taking these types ha
Switching gears slightly, that’s what’s amazing with this current group. Every one of them have the green light, yet you never see a bad shot taken. I can’t even think of any. We trail in games when the shots aren’t dropping, but never does it feel like it’s because we are taking bad shots.

Switching gears slightly, that’s what’s amazing with this current group. Every one of them have the green light, yet you never see a bad shot taken. I can’t even think of any. We trail in games when the shots aren’t dropping, but never does it feel like it’s because we are taking bad shots.

I don't know, there are at least a coupe times a game when I think we take bad shots. But what's a bad shot one day isn't a bad shot on a different day. If Nelly Cummings is hitting his threes then him taking a long three early in the shot clock might be OK. On one of those days that he's 1-7, taking that same shot at that same time is not a good shot.

When a guy takes a shot, especially a shot early in the shot clock, and I hear a voice in my head of Myron Brown saying "come on guys, we can get that shot any time" (as Myron used to tell his summer league teammates from time to time), that's a bad shot.

I don't know, there are at least a coupe times a game when I think we take bad shots. But what's a bad shot one day isn't a bad shot on a different day. If Nelly Cummings is hitting his threes then him taking a long three early in the shot clock might be OK. On one of those days that he's 1-7, taking that same shot at that same time is not a good shot.

When a guy takes a shot, especially a shot early in the shot clock, and I hear a voice in my head of Myron Brown saying "come on guys, we can get that shot any time" (as Myron used to tell his summer league teammates from time to time), that's a bad shot.
Nelly is the king of making shots that are “bad shots” in big moments

Myron from the Rocks??

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

Who is it?

Who is it?

Closer to 6’4 and can play 2/1/3 in that order. Would accept a role. Check out his Twitter clips. Ridiculous shooter/player. Mizzou and seton Hall called today.

Tough as nails. Andrew Wiggins brother n law. Would be cool to see Wiggins in a Pitt hoops shirt.

Closer to 6’4 and can play 2/1/3 in that order. Would accept a role. Check out his Twitter clips. Ridiculous shooter/player. Mizzou and seton Hall called today.

Tough as nails. Andrew Wiggins brother n law. Would be cool to see Wiggins in a Pitt hoops shirt.

He played in the 3ssb and averaged 7.6 points per game (the 3ssb for anyone that doesn't know is a considerably weaker Nike EYBL). He had 21 assists to 23 turnovers on the circuit. He's got a fairly quick release with a low release point. His FG % and 3 point percent were decent on the circuit, 46% and 38%. His points and his assists are a bit low in my opinion, although the shooting percentages are great for his role.

My first question is, why wasnt his team better if he is "that" good with the points and assists he contributed. Ive watched less than 4 minutes of tape on him but there is no way I would take this kid over Carrington or Lowe. Barnes maybe, but he isnt't all that athletic. I like the shooting ability.

Is he having a major senior season this year? Unless he is another Sean Padulla and really improve his passing / playmaking or is a beast of a 3 point shooter which perhaps he is, I would look elsewhere.

This looks like a player that peaked early but I only did about 10 minutes of groundwork here. Although maybe you are seeing some Ashton Gibbs in him with the 3 point shot.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
He played in the 3ssb and averaged 7.6 points per game (the 3ssb for anyone that doesn't know is a considerably weaker Nike EYBL). He had 21 assists to 23 turnovers on the circuit. He's got a fairly quick release with a low release point. His FG % and 3 point percent were decent on the circuit, 46% and 38%. His points and his assists are a bit low in my opinion, although the shooting percentages are great for his role.

My first question is, why wasnt his team better if he is "that" good with the points and assists he contributed. Ive watched less than 4 minutes of tape on him but there is no way I would take this kid over Carrington or Lowe. Barnes maybe, but he isnt't all that athletic. I like the shooting ability.

Is he having a major senior season this year? Unless he is another Sean Padulla and really improve his passing / playmaking or is a beast of a 3 point shooter which perhaps he is, I would look elsewhere.

This looks like a player that peaked early but I only did about 10 minutes of groundwork here. Although maybe you are seeing some Ashton Gibbs in him with the 3 point shot.
He’s having a huge senior year. He was chikfila MVP for a team that won it. Shooting 55 percent from 3 in that event. Check out some of his later stuff on Twitter.

His team should’ve been better. His problem is he chose the wrong AAU team. He played with Reed Sheppard and Gabe Kupps and Kupps dad coached the team. His problem is he makes the right play too often, doesn’t stick out in AAU.

I’m not saying I’d take him over either of them. I think he’s plug and play. Not nearly as high of upside. I think he steps in a HM and has a role right away and could develop and if he doesn’t will be fine being a piece while he gets his degree.

May not be a fit but I think he fills Elliott’s role next year nicely. Will be really good college player somewhere

Last edited:
He’s having a huge senior year. He was chikfila MVP for a team that won it. Shooting 55 percent from 3 in that event. Check out some of his later stuff on Twitter.

His team should’ve been better. His problem is he chose the wrong AAU team. He played with Reed Sheppard and Gabe Kupps and Kupps dad coached the team. His problem is he makes the right play too often, doesn’t stick out in AAU.

I’m not saying I’d take him over either of them. I think he’s plug and play. Not nearly as high of upside. I think he steps in a HM and has a role right away and could develop and if he doesn’t will be fine being a piece while he gets his degree.

May not be a fit but I think he fills Elliott’s role next year nicely. Will be really good college player somewhere

Sounds like you are describing Connor Essegian.

I think he looks like a shooter but I don’t see him being able to defend. Doesn’t seem as athletic.

I’ve never seen him play, and what I’m about to say has nothing to do with the kid.

A few years ago, maybe you’d take him as a plug and play. But why do that now when you can get a 20-21 year old version of the same player? Portal has just changed everything, and it’s unfortunate for these high school kids.

I’ve never seen him play, and what I’m about to say has nothing to do with the kid.

A few years ago, maybe you’d take him as a plug and play. But why do that now when you can get a 20-21 year old version of the same player? Portal has just changed everything, and it’s unfortunate for these high school kids.
100 percent agree. I think he CAN plug in play, you can probably get a similar kid in the portal. But like I said, with the dad having 15 girls recruitments a year, he wants to go thru this one time with the son.

This would be a late type of add if someone unexpected leaves like a Santos. We should have plenty of ships available including the one Fisch just got

Reactions: jpklein
100 percent agree. I think he CAN plug in play, you can probably get a similar kid in the portal. But like I said, with the dad having 15 girls recruitments a year, he wants to go thru this one time with the son.

This would be a late type of add if someone unexpected leaves like a Santos. We should have plenty of ships available including the one Fisch just got
I hope Jeffress leaves and Santos stays.

Agreed - was just making a general statement on how the landscape of basketball is so different now, and unfortunately kids like him are hurt by it

So has Pitt now gotten involved with Maki?
His recruitment has been all over the place I think he is a legit prospect and surprised to see he is still not committed anywhere. Last year I remember when he was ranked a high top 100 prospect and all the traction was there. Would love to see Pitt get involved with him and think he could be a nice piece to add to the Pitt program. I know his dad does a great job on the girls AAU side with the Thunder.

So has Pitt now gotten involved with Maki?
His recruitment has been all over the place I think he is a legit prospect and surprised to see he is still not committed anywhere. Last year I remember when he was ranked a high top 100 prospect and all the traction was there. Would love to see Pitt get involved with him and think he could be a nice piece to add to the Pitt program. I know his dad does a great job on the girls AAU side with the Thunder.
They just have his film as of now and are evaluating from what I know. Could be humoring me. He will jump at the first school that truly wants him. He could be a real nice complimentary piece.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Keeping this thread on recruiting.

After Jalil Bethea's 40 point performance in the Philly Catholic League, there is hype coming from everywhere now from Andrew Slater to a lot of people. Cat is getting out of the bag here unfortunately, he is likely going to push to be a borderline 5 star. The current leader in the Philly Catholic league in scoring with the best efficiency in the league over other 4 star and 5 star players. His aau teammate Thomas Sorber is also going to find himself in the top 50 everywhere rather soon as he is 2nd in the PCL. Virginia is starting to go in hard with Sorber and we have been in for Sorber recently. These are 2 of the my top targets and wish list in 2024. Both have visited Pitt already.

Kyle Greene Jr is supposed to visit Pitt in the rather near future. 4 star point guard in 2024 and Capel seems to have a decent relationship with his father.

Christian Nitu was supposed to visit Pitt but Pitt has put that visit on the backburner at least for the time being. Nitu is a 6'9 power forward in the class of 2024.

The staff continues to watch Royce Parham. Milan Brown watched him recently.

5 Star Meleek Thomas has visited Pitt about 8 times in the last year. He his teammates / friends with Brandin Cummings. Thomas should be the #1 overall target regardless of class.

I would keep an eye on Team Durant this summer and who all plays there. Cummings and Royce Parham have been with team Durant in the past. 5 star 2025 Alier Maluk who gave an early top 4 with Pitt in it is joining team Durant.

There is quite a bit of buzz coming with VJ Edgecombe as a future potential 4 star top 50 future player. The staff has watched him recently. Edgecombe plays in New York but is from the Bahamas. He appears to be open for now but major programs are now interested, including Jeff Capel.

Borderline top 100 4 star guard / wing AJ Swinton wants to visit Pitt but we have not set that up yet that I am aware of. He likes Pitt and has us in his early top 4ish and has a good relationship with Capel.

Pitt has been in steady contact with Malachi Palmer and has kept tabs on Jalik Dunkley Distant. Palmer has visited Pitt twice already and is a reclass to 2023 candidate.

This is a pretty strong crop of players above. There are others, including the 2 Finland players and Fede's brother etc.. At this point, I would still be going all in with Thomas and Bethea. We should be going big game hunting in 2024 and 2025.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT