ADVERTISEMENT

VB at Duke

Pitt drops the 2nd set 26-24. Only the 13th loss set this season.

Pitt drops two in a row..: in a dogfight right now.

Lund is getting stuffed on nearly every spike. Doesn’t look like pitt is going to pull this match out. Duke is playing lights out.

Pitt drops 3 sets in a row. No longer undefeated.

Duke played inspired volleyball and deserved to win. The match was very close. Pitt kept battling back when behind and Duke fought them off each time.

Duke visits Pitt on Sunday, 11/11 @ 1:00 pm at the Fitzgerald Field House for the rematch.

I just bought 15 tickets and will bring family and friends to cheer on the Panthers to victory! Should be another great match...

That match i think was a combination of Pitt not being on their game and duke just playing lights out. They stuffed lunds spikes it seemed about every time. Yea they were bound to lose but damn i wanted them to go undefeated. Next up is friday at GT. Think ill go and dvr the football game.

I watched briefly, at the end of the 2nd set, Pitt was leading 24-23, Duke killed near the line and the point was given to Pitt and the score was changed to 25-23 Pitt, meaning we would have won set #2 and led 2-0. Then the score quickly flashed to 24-24 instead and Duke went on to win. I didn't see what happened, was it a TV scoreboard error or was a call overturned and reversed?

Yea that was a tough call for pitt.
True, but the officials almost always get these calls correct. If Coach Fisher felt the call was incorrect, he could have challenged it. Since he didn't challenge the call, confirms the call.

Back to California Panther's inquiry, it must be pointed out that the sideline officials in the back corners with the flags are responsible for calling the ball in or out.

The officials at the net make the decision whether the ball was tipped or flew directly out of bounds.

Sometimes the person on the TV scoreboard immediately posts the point solely based on whether or not the flag was raised (out) or pointed down (in).

Watching volleyball is new to me, so I might not be exactly right, so I offer that as my personal opinion based on limited exposure to the sport.

I watched briefly, at the end of the 2nd set, Pitt was leading 24-23, Duke killed near the line and the point was given to Pitt and the score was changed to 25-23 Pitt, meaning we would have won set #2 and led 2-0. Then the score quickly flashed to 24-24 instead and Duke went on to win. I didn't see what happened, was it a TV scoreboard error or was a call overturned and reversed?
I saw that too.Losing the second set killed them.It goes five if they win that one.If you end up going five anything can happen.

#22 Lousiville goes down to Syracuse in 5.

That, and several other results from this weekend, are going to be bad for our resume. Louisville is likely to be unranked this week. Washington lost both games this weekend. Cal Poly lost the only game they played this weekend. It is likely that when the new poll comes out we are going to be down to one top 25 win, against a Cal Poly team that is going to be ranked around 20.

Don't be surprised if we drop a lot more than one might have suspected based on just one road loss.

I may be wrong but this might have been the first game where Pitt's lack of height compared to other teams may have cost them.Duke had a couple of really big girls.As disappointing as this was Pitt wasn't going to win them all.But I didn't think it would be today.

Back to California Panther's inquiry, it must be pointed out that the sideline officials in the back corners with the flags are responsible for calling the ball in or out.

The officials at the net make the decision whether the ball was tipped or flew directly out of bounds.

All four officials on the court have the obligation to watch for touches at the net. Ultimately, the R1 (or up ref, or the ref that stands up on the high ladder thing) has the final say on touches, but the two line judges and R2 (down ref, by the scorers table) have to watch for them as well and notify the up ref if they see them.

Reactions: HOF Coach
All four officials on the court have the obligation to watch for touches at the net. Ultimately, the R1 (or up ref, or the ref that stands up on the high ladder thing) has the final say on touches, but the two line judges and R2 (down ref, by the scorers table) have to watch for them as well and notify the up ref if they see them.
Thanks for the correct answer!

ADVERTISEMENT