ADVERTISEMENT

VB: vs Notre Dame - 10/27/24 Match Info

Maybe it is just me, but I haven't seen as much "looseness" the last couple of games. More business like and seriousness. I wonder if the constant pressure of being #1 is getting to them. Or perhaps I'm just misreading things.
  • Now heading into the back 1/3 of the season....pressure is on....been ranked #1 for almost 2 months
  • The Louisville game was emotionally draining for sure
  • Bit of a fall off on some important stats...team hitting % fell to about .275 or so the last 2 games....prior to that it was .350
  • The opposition's hitting % rose above .200 this week....was below .100 prior to that
  • Olivia Babcock is struggling just a bit....9 service errors and only 1 ace the last 2 games....her hitting % was .258 this week...down from over .300
  • Good news....Bre Kelley game of her career against Louisville....Cat Flood to the rescue today against Notre Dame....best I've ever seen her.
  • Bottom line....still have 2 wins this week....won 6 of 9 sets played....I think we'll be fine.
  • Final note....felt really bad for VVG today....she was benched....only was hitting - .167....Cat Flood to the rescue
  • Fisher is a brilliant coach....he'll sort out any concerns about this team
  • We'll still be #1 again when the polls come out tomorrow

Last edited:
Do you really think that VVG was benched (in the traditional sense of how the word is used in sports)? I thought Fisher, earlier on in the match, just wanted to give some PT to both Bayliss and Flood. And as the match progressed, opted to just go with the "hot hand."
Glad for Flood, especially as a 5th (I believe) year. She played quite well, and on more than one occasion had great kills from a flat footed position - looked like she gets some great torque plus wrist snap.
I also couldn't help but notice that she looked exhausted - her hair was a bit amiss by the end and she was pretty red in the face.

Do you really think that VVG was benched (in the traditional sense of how the word is used in sports)? I thought Fisher, earlier on in the match, just wanted to give some PT to both Bayliss and Flood. And as the match progressed, opted to just go with the "hot hand."
Glad for Flood, especially as a 5th (I believe) year. She played quite well, and on more than one occasion had great kills from a flat footed position - looked like she gets some great torque plus wrist snap.
I also couldn't help but notice that she looked exhausted - her hair was a bit amiss by the end and she was pretty red in the face.
I think Fisher was trying something to change things up because Pitt's attack had become stale. Cat is probably as good as VVG in the back row. In this case it worked. Bayless had a good match too. I am not sure about the changes to the 6-2. I guess it gives the other team something to think about, so in that sense it is a change that can be helpful some times.

Reactions: vantheman1976
I would have to go back and look at the play by play description when she exactly was subbed out. This much I know....I checked my phone around that time for the stats and saw she was hitting - .167. I recall she came back in once for Babcock to serve....then immediately came back out....don't think I saw her in the match again. By then....Flood was on fire...having the game of her career. When I glanced over to look at VVG from time to time she looked more quiet and a bit subdued. She's a great player and team mate.....she'll be back....no worries. Take a look at Fisher's post game comments below....he specifically mentions that Cat had a great week of practice....and he put her in when the time was right. So yes....subbed out, pulled from the match, benched, etc are pretty much synonyms for me. I'm sure VVG understood the circumstances.....she's a leader....she'll be back. And congrats to Cat Flood....she gets today's game ball....as others have already mentioned.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT