ADVERTISEMENT

Veilleux

The issue, like it always is, is that the backup is probably worse than the starter and that is a scary thought.
They can't be worse. The chance of two scholarship d1 QBs worse than Phil is mathematically impossible. Maybe Phil plays better in practice but what he has done the last two weeks is as bad of QB play as I have ever seen. The wvu game was even worse than Cincy because I actually thought there were lots of plays to be made and he wasn't pressured on those picks. For instance I won't blame Phil for failing to hit the RB on the wvu blitz before halftime, he had guys in his face , a good QB hits that but many don't. But that second pick was just God awful he had other guys wide open.

Reactions: Franb
I can’t think of a reason not to play him. I havent seen a starting QB at Pitt worse than Phil. We owe him nothing. He’s gone after this year no matter what.

Veilleux has got to give us a better chance at salvaging this season, and playing him now gets him playing time and experience for next year, where he is the presumed starter. It’s a no brainer IMO

Which, given Cig and Duzz, means I fully expect to see Phil under center next week.
We try him.

If he sucks, Yarnell should play. It’s that simple.

The issue, like it always is, is that the backup is probably worse than the starter and that is a scary thought.
I recall a game a few years back when #2 Miami came to town a heavy favorite, and a backup QB was given a starting opportunity for Pitt. How did that turn out? You don't always know what real talent you have wasting away on the bench until you take the chance. I think many of us much prefer to see the staff develop a player who was recruited instead of shoving them aside for a hot shot transfer.

I keep coming back to NIL and that these guys are professionals now. They deserve every bit of criticism and acrimony coming their way and more. I used to think these were college kids trying to get an education and playing a game. Not any longer. Very few of them are in school for the education and the right reasons. Now it's time to voice our displeasure as fans when they perform as they did last night.

I also believe that if a player isn't performing, as a professional, pull his scholarship and kick him off the team. If they want to stay in school, they pay their own way or leave. But then we start with the need to replace players through free agency or trades, like in the NFL. If that's what is needed, then do it. This isn't college football any longer. This is a semi-professional league with accountabilities that go with it.

They can't be worse. The chance of two scholarship d1 QBs worse than Phil is mathematically impossible. Maybe Phil plays better in practice but what he has done the last two weeks is as bad of QB play as I have ever seen. The wvu game was even worse than Cincy because I actually thought there were lots of plays to be made and he wasn't pressured on those picks. For instance I won't blame Phil for failing to hit the RB on the wvu blitz before halftime, he had guys in his face , a good QB hits that but many don't. But that second pick was just God awful he had other guys wide open.
Narduzzi is mentally ill on this topic at this point… Jurkovec was his ‘white whale’ recruit, it seems, having lost out on him twice, so now Narduzzi can’t fathom giving up on him and making a change.

Plus he almost certainly is promising these guys (Slovis, now Jurkovec) that he will not bench them, even if they struggle. It is hard to fathom that, because it is tantamount to throwing games. But we’ve seen it two straight seasons now. It seems that such promises are the only way he can get transfer QB to commit to us over other programs. That’s alarming unto itself, but at least it is an explanation; the only explanation possible, really

Reactions: bdur76 and fmi1
Narduzzi is mentally ill on this topic at this point… Jurkovec was his ‘white whale’ recruit, it seems, having lost out on him twice, so now Narduzzi can’t fathom giving up on him and making a change.

Plus he almost certainly is promising these guys (Slovis, now Jurkovec) that he will not bench them, even if they struggle. It is hard to fathom that, because it is tantamount to throwing games. But we’ve seen it two straight seasons now. It seems that such promises are the only way he can get transfer QB to commit to us over other programs. That’s alarming unto itself, but at least it is an explanation; the only explanation possible, really

The explanation is that Jerky is being paid a lot of money to be the starter and was promised that by the administration and Narduzzi. A highly paid professional player isn't going to be benched and Pitt waste money on him so that we can use a bench QB and possibly win some games. It's all about the money invested in these guys, the record be damned. At this point, Narduzzi is looking at 4 wins max if he stays the course. I don't think fans will like that too much. But that's not what's important now in this age of professional college players.

Reactions: bdur76
The explanation is that Jerky is being paid a lot of money to be the starter and was promised that by the administration and Narduzzi. A highly paid professional player isn't going to be benched and Pitt waste money on him so that we can use a bench QB and possibly win some games. It's all about the money invested in these guys, the record be damned. At this point, Narduzzi is looking at 4 wins max if he stays the course. I don't think fans will like that too much. But that's not what's important now in this age of professional college players.
Someone explain this to me. What’s “invested” in Phil, by whom, and what exactly are they hoping or expecting to get in return?

It isn’t the school on the hook for the money. It isn’t United Airlines paying a player and featuring them in commercials. I would assume it is a group with ties to Pitt, who just want Pitt to win, and the money spent to get him here is a sunk cost at this point. And if there are performance or playing time incentives, I’d think they’d be first in line to say DO NOT play him anymore after seeing the debacle of the past 2 weeks, because they’re wasting their money.

Perhaps a more plausible explanation is that whoever is paying Phil has ties to our opponents. At least then paying him to continue to play would be money well spent in that case.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
Jurkovec would be the 3rd string QB on BC this year. Why does this loser have a golden parachute here after two of the worst performances in Pitt QB history?

Someone explain this to me. What’s “invested” in Phil, by whom, and what exactly are they hoping or expecting to get in return?

It isn’t the school on the hook for the money. It isn’t United Airlines paying a player and featuring them in commercials. I would assume it is a group with ties to Pitt, who just want Pitt to win, and the money spent to get him here is a sunk cost at this point. And if there are performance or playing time incentives, I’d think they’d be first in line to say DO NOT play him anymore after seeing the debacle of the past 2 weeks, because they’re wasting their money.

Perhaps a more plausible explanation is that whoever is paying Phil has ties to our opponents. At least then paying him to continue to play would be money well spent in that case.

Correct. No one is demanding Phil plays. He doesn't have any "real" NIL deals. He isnt in Edgar Snyder commercials and they demanding he plays.

Pitt is 3-0 with Patti as the QB. They still would only finish 7-5 or so with him as this isn't a very good team but Patti was a a erage QB who was tough and a winner.
All Nick Patti ever did it Pitt was score touchdowns. Granted he didn’t get a lot of play, but he won the only two games he started and finished in his career, made several big plays against UCF in 2019 when Kenny missed a couple of series injured and we won 35-34. started off the peach bowl in 2021 with a touchdown drive that he got injured, and finished off his career by being the hero in the Cereal Bowl.

Reactions: bignorthu2
All Nick Patti ever did it Pitt was score touchdowns. Granted he didn’t get a lot of play, but he won the only two games he started and finished in his career, made several big plays against UCF in 2019 when Kenny missed a couple of series injured and we won 35-34. started off the peach bowl in 2021 with a touchdown drive that he got injured, and finished off his career by being the hero in the Cereal Bowl.
I agree that the coaches didn’t give him enough regard. But, he was far too injury prone…he’d never last

Duz can’t do that. He promised Jurk he’d play.

He can’t renege on this or the future transfer QBs he desperately needs won’t believe him when he is forced to repeat the same promise to them
So what he’s killing the chance of getting any decent QB recruits to even sniff Pitt. Why would any kid want to come here pay his dues then have him bring in some 5th year guy every year and you never see a snap.

So what he’s killing the chance of getting any decent QB recruits to even sniff Pitt. Why would any kid want to come here pay his dues then have him bring in some 5th year guy every year and you never see a snap.
He’s already not getting any of those. That’s why he has to resort to the transfer failures

A few psu people I golf with cant believe CV isnt starting. They think he would be really good and were disappointed he transferred. But Aller PSU's golden boy

Reactions: FireballZ
Duz can’t do that. He promised Jurk he’d play.

He can’t renege on this or the future transfer QBs he desperately needs won’t believe him when he is forced to repeat the same promise to them
No way. This is a competitive sport. A certain level of competence is implied in keeping a starting job. Jurkovec has been awful. I think most transfers would be shocked PJ got to complete the UC & WVU games.

A few psu people I golf with cant believe CV isnt starting. They think he would be really good and were disappointed he transferred. But Aller PSU's golden boy

Veilleux can't believe it either. Did you see his face during the game?

I’m putting in another plug for Nate, I still think with experience he offers the most upside.
I am okay with that. I’m okay with either back up.

The notion of PN talking about “not dumping” his is such a stupid comment. It’s only dumping if one of the backups played better. In that happens, then the coach is right to “dump him.” This is not about a players feelings, this is about a team winning games.

What makes his “dumping” comment even dumber is that he was bragging about having the most capable three QBs he’s ever had on a roster.

So either he doesn’t really believe that to be true or he simply isn’t getting smarter as a HC in the slightest.

We’ve even already seen Yarnell play better than this. You’re telling me that Cincy and WVU are leaps and bounds above Western Michigan? Cincy just lost to Miami Ohio at home!

We’ve even already seen Yarnell play better than this. You’re telling me that Cincy and WVU are leaps and bounds above Western Michigan? Cincy just lost to Miami Ohio at home!

BOTH of those backups would player better, as well as 100 other starting FBS QBs, and a bunch of backups.

I am okay with that. I’m okay with either back up.

The notion of PN talking about “not dumping” his is such a stupid comment. It’s only dumping if one of the backups played better. In that happens, then the coach is right to “dump him.” This is not about a players feelings, this is about a team winning games.

What makes his “dumping” comment even dumber is that he was bragging about having the most capable three QBs he’s ever had on a roster.

So either he doesn’t really believe that to be true or he simply isn’t getting smarter as a HC in the slightest.
Why is it ok to continually “dump” Hammond when he’s been clearly the best back so far?

What I don’t get is Cig either called a perfect game against WMU for Yarnell to succeed or Yarnell performed better than expected with his QBR. He didn’t look great in the spring game, but not sure who we was playing with depth wise. Also had a completion against UCLA in traffic. I want CV, but will take NY over PJ as well. But why can’t cig call plays anymore? I really think it is PJ. Someone needs to lead and say enough is enough.

I'm a grad of both PSU and Pitt, but as an undergrad PSU grad I pretty much strictly follow PSU. But when Veilleux (who I was hoping would be the next PSU QB after Clifford, before Franklin got his 5 star QB Allar) transferred, I can't help but take an interest in how he performs at Pitt. When Clifford was hurt in 2021 Veilleux played I believe all or the vast majority of one of PSU's games (I believe Rutgers) and from what I saw he threw more accurately than Clifford and also was mobile and threw more accurately on the run than Clifford.

So as a Pitt grad and with many friends and a few relatives that are Pitt grads and football fans, as well as rooting for a former PSU player, after watching the Pitt/WVU game I can't help but believe that Veilleux would be heads and shoulders better than how Jurkovic played. And given that Pitt's coaches are paid to win games I can't understand why Veilleux has not been given a chance to turn Pitt's season around.

JMO

I'm a grad of both PSU and Pitt, but as an undergrad PSU grad I pretty much strictly follow PSU. But when Veilleux (who I was hoping would be the next PSU QB after Clifford, before Franklin got his 5 star QB Allar) transferred, I can't help but take an interest in how he performs at Pitt. When Clifford was hurt in 2021 Veilleux played I believe all or the vast majority of one of PSU's games (I believe Rutgers) and from what I saw he threw more accurately than Clifford and also was mobile and threw more accurately on the run than Clifford.

So as a Pitt grad and with many friends and a few relatives that are Pitt grads and football fans, as well as rooting for a former PSU player, after watching the Pitt/WVU game I can't help but believe that Veilleux would be heads and shoulders better than how Jurkovic played. And given that Pitt's coaches are paid to win games I can't understand why Veilleux has not been given a chance to turn Pitt's season around.

JMO
Veilleux had a very remedial game plan to execute against Rutgers. They dumbed down the playbook a lot to help him out. His stat line was 15/24 with 235 yards and 3 TDs, 0 INTs. PSU was content to play a field position game (Nits had to punt 8 times) & RU's offense never really threatened.

When Veilleux takes the field at Pitt, I would expect the game plan to be similar. I think Pitt could have went to Morgantown and got a W with that kind of performance this past Saturday. I'm not sure how many games they can win like that going forward, but Jurkovec has been so bad, I don't really see that they have a choice.

Veilleux had a very remedial game plan to execute against Rutgers. They dumbed down the playbook a lot to help him out. His stat line was 15/24 with 235 yards and 3 TDs, 0 INTs. PSU was content to play a field position game (Nits had to punt 8 times) & RU's offense never really threatened.

When Veilleux takes the field at Pitt, I would expect the game plan to be similar. I think Pitt could have went to Morgantown and got a W with that kind of performance this past Saturday. I'm not sure how many games they can win like that going forward, but Jurkovec has been so bad, I don't really see that they have a choice.

If dumbing down the offense leads to those stats, then Pitt would be 3-0 And ranked in the Top 20.

Every time a Veilleux thread gets bumped to the top I fear it will read that he’s withdrawn from Pitt In Paris Ford fashion due to outrage/bewilderment that he hasn’t been put in either of these last couple games and no prospects for it to happen anytime the rest of the season… which honestly he should seriously consider, at this point

I get your point. And in 2021 Veilleux had Jahan Dotson and other NFL bound WR's and TE's to throw to. And a conservative passing game with a high percentage of completions would have been a winning formula at WVU as you pointed out.

But against Rutgers in 2021 Veilleux was a true freshman that I believe only enrolled during that summer. It's now 2 years later and even thought he spent another year at PSU his maturity has surely progressed as well as his understanding of college defenses and college passing games.

Whatever the game plan, I'm looking forward to the day he gets a chance at Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT