ADVERTISEMENT

Victory Heights—Wrestling Reaction

upitt98

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2010
Pitttsburgh, PA
@Chris Peak Very exciting news in the below transcript/quote of AD Lyke interview. For wrestling, it is huge news for a new facility. Can you get some reaction from Coach Gavin? Seems like a big deal for the wrestling program. Thanks!

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/lyke-on-facilities-heinz-field-college-hoops-and-more

“So we’re looking at a center for human performance, which would be a new, state of the art strength and conditioning area, a sports medicine area, some level of human performance research, some collaboration with campus, coaches’ offices and then a new 3,000-seat arena for volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics.”

It would include strength and conditioning, sports medicine and research facilities, a 3,000-seat arena for volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics and an indoor track.

She called the plan “bold, necessary and transformative.”

But...

Lyke said the center remains in the planning stage and significant fundraising must occur...

“There's no wrecking ball. There's no specific timeline,” she said. “We have a lot of work to do towards that project.”

Lyke speaks differently than previous regimes in her commitment to the formerly named non-revenue sports, but I will believe it when I see it. I will refer anyone interested, to my previous posts for details for my opinion. At this point, everyone needs to hold the athletic departments feet to the fire until that wrecking ball shows up.

Last edited:
It would include strength and conditioning, sports medicine and research facilities, a 3,000-seat arena for volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics and an indoor track.

But...

Lyke said the center remains in the planning stage and significant fundraising must occur...

“There's no wrecking ball. There's no specific timeline,” she said. “We have a lot of work to do towards that project.”

Lyke speaks differently about than previous regimes in her commitment to the formerly named non-revenue sports, but I will believe it when I see it. I will refer anyone interested, to my previous posts for details for my opinion. At this point, everyone needs to hold the athletic departments feet to the fire until that wrecking ball shows up.

It's hard for me to consider this lip service with how specific she was about what she wants to do up there. I agree that work needs to be done and many will take the wait and see attitude but I don't ever remember an AD coming out with a plan and talking about it to the media.

My guess is that if she is talking openly about it, its probably further along than she is letting on.

I, for one, am pretty excited.

Reactions: bschulter

But...

Lyke speaks differently about than previous regimes in her commitment to the formerly named non-revenue sports, but I will believe it when I see it. I will refer anyone interested, to my previous posts for details for my opinion. At this point, everyone needs to hold the athletic departments feet to the fire until that wrecking ball shows up.
It takes $ to get things done.

@Chris Peak Very exciting news in the below transcript/quote of AD Lyke interview. For wrestling, it is huge news for a new facility. Can you get some reaction from Coach Gavin? Seems like a big deal for the wrestling program. Thanks!

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/lyke-on-facilities-heinz-field-college-hoops-and-more

“So we’re looking at a center for human performance, which would be a new, state of the art strength and conditioning area, a sports medicine area, some level of human performance research, some collaboration with campus, coaches’ offices and then a new 3,000-seat arena for volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics.”

Does 3K sound a tad on the small size to anyone? I would think matching the Fitz's current capacity of about 4K makes more sense.

4,000 with tarps! J/k. No, I think 3,000 is fine, given historical attendance. Limit supply, make it cozy. Penn State could sell more tix, but stay at Rec Hall for atmosphere. If Penn State or Ohio State visits, move it to the Pete.

Reactions: Mikefln
I locked in on "some level of human performance research" Not sure exactly what to make of that, but I am imagining Pitt hiring a team of Russian scientists to create new and improved performance enhancing drugs that the NCAA hasn't even imagined yet. I am sure there are some former East German performance scientists out there somewhere.

I locked in on "some level of human performance research" Not sure exactly what to make of that, but I am imagining Pitt hiring a team of Russian scientists to create new and improved performance enhancing drugs that the NCAA hasn't even imagined yet. I am sure there are some former East German performance scientists out there somewhere.
Perhaps it's a way to get some $$ from the general fund-incorporating academics into athletic plans?

Reactions: omega
Now that, would be excellent creativity in expanding the athletic depart budget.

By the way, I just saw a graphic about largest employer in each state. UPMC is the largest employer in state of Pennsylvania. I would love it if Lyke could dip into that pool of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: omega and Chaos
We're about 8 years away, but if we do what we're talking about doing it's going to be tremendous for the program.

Reactions: guyutethepig
ADVERTISEMENT