ADVERTISEMENT

Video and transcript: Capel after the loss to Nicholls State

JC truly understands where Pitts bb program is right now . Simply put “we’re not going to out talent anyone right now “ that’s something some posters fail to recognize !

I don’t expect this team to walk into Cameron and win by 30, but to dance around yesterday being anything other than a fiasco is foolish.

When I’m observing a rebuild at this stage, my number one question is “Are they beating the teams they should beat?” Forget the spread, FSU is lousy and we should’ve won that game so that was a nice step forward in a tough scenario with the ACC forcing a league game off the jump. Talk up the close loss to Illinois all you want, but Nicholls was still a 250+ ranked team on KenPom. An important step in getting back to tournament-level play is to handle your business against the cupcake teams. We just spent any leeway we had in non-conference and now absolutely have to avoid any other bumps the rest of the way, starting against RMU who will be charged up to open their new arena

I don’t expect this team to walk into Cameron and win by 30, but to dance around yesterday being anything other than a fiasco is foolish.

When I’m observing a rebuild at this stage, my number one question is “Are they beating the teams they should beat?” Forget the spread, FSU is lousy and we should’ve won that game so that was a nice step forward in a tough scenario with the ACC forcing a league game off the jump. Talk up the close loss to Illinois all you want, but Nicholls was still a 250+ ranked team on KenPom. An important step in getting back to tournament-level play is to handle your business against the cupcake teams. We just spent any leeway we had in non-conference and now absolutely have to avoid any other bumps the rest of the way, starting against RMU who will be charged up to open their new arena
I think JC is well aware of how bad a loss was yesterday game , this is just a fringe NIT team this yr , thinking that they’re more than that is wishful thinking . They’re a young inexperienced team and the way they’re playing who besides Murphy is playing well enough to get minutes on a tournament team . TB has played some excellent minutes , but for Pitt to compete X and Trey need to play up to their capabilities, which they haven’t . Same can be said for Toney . Bad loses happen hopefully they’ll learn they can’t take anyone for granted. Think FSU and Louisville think their loses to Pitt we’re good loses last yr !

Reactions: Tonyt66
Maybe its just me but I try to translate coachspeak and it seems a bit like our returning guys are immature. The comment he made about understanding the importance of college basketball was a bit of a strange one.

I dont know if there's some jealousy with the newby, Murphy coming in and trying to get his or what. There is something really off about this team. The attitude and body language doesn't seem great from afar. I hate to say this but Capel sounded a bit like Stallings talking about Artis and Young. The difference was they were seniors so hopefully if this is anything, it gets rectified but this has been a pretty disappointing start for those 3.

Reactions: rockypanther
Anyone can beat Pitt if you have Xavier creating scout film for the draft board, Mcgowens either traveling or chucking up a 3 before half the team is down the court, and Toney doing everything the hard way and still missing every shot.

The new additions to this team have also been the top performers, with the exception of Brown, who is the only player who has played better than last year.

Capel can talk a good interview, but if he doesn't show some coach-em-up ability he's going to start hearing the rumblings of the mob. I'd support starting whatever walk on we have and let X and Trey sit on the bench and watch 3-5 minutes of play. Let them know ball hogging selfish chucker and dribble drive play when it's not there isn't going to fly. What would Bobby Knight do? Capel has been soft on them so far.

Reactions: Pitt Blog

Good call on FSU being lousy...

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

You lost all credibility when you said FSU is lousy. Yeah, so lousy they just whooped Florida at Gainesville.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Within the context of the kids' scholarship and the school, college basketball is important. But within the larger context of life in general and these kids being college students getting an education so they can earn a decent living when they graduate, college basketball isn't important. It's just their meal ticket to get that education for free. That comment from Capel was a little strange.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT