ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Cellulitis....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
So my very healthy husband woke up last Friday after a week of travel with a fever and feeling really off. We rarely get sick (knock on wood), so we just assumed it was some kind of bug. He had a fever which spiked over the weekend that we treated with Advil.

Late Sunday night he started complaining about his lower right leg and how it was a bit swollen and tender. He does have AFib so called the Cardiologist in the morning who sent him in for an ultrasound to rule out a DVT. The ultrasound was clear and our PCP scheduled him to come in on Tuesday. By then his leg was really swollen and red. They immediately diagnosed it as cellulitis and gave him to 2 very strong oral antibiotics. They also traced out the infection to see its movement.

He's now been on them 24 hours. There doesn't appear to be any growth of the infection outside of the markings. But he still has a fever and feels terrible. He's back in tomorrow to the doctors but I'm wondering about our expectations. The few times either of us had to be on antibiotics, it seemed after 24 hours we could tell a difference.

Also if these oral antibiotics do work, how long does it take to heal from this? (We are aware that the next step would be IV antibiotics if he doesn't improve.)

Thanks in advance. I'm really out of my depth (and kind of scared) with all of this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.