ADVERTISEMENT

WAY OT: Golfers, thoughts on this

I think that is more than fair. I mean you have golfers in a group that run the gamut. My issues when i golfed was not off of the tee at all. I would regularly put tee shots where low handicappers would. Nor was it mid irons. But just never played enough to develop the "handsy" part of the game around the green where you score.

This idea has been around for a while and hasn’t really gained much traction. I think at least part of the the idea is to take the stigma away from playing from the “ladies tees”.

I knew someone who had gotten older and didn’t want to move up. He finally did and started enjoying the game again. He was getting some birdie chances instead of hitting 4 iron or hybrid into every green.

We all slow down/lose ability at some point. No shame on it, just the way it is. Too many people play the wrong tees.

This idea has been around for a while and hasn’t really gained much traction. I think at least part of the the idea is to take the stigma away from playing from the “ladies tees”.

I knew someone who had gotten older and didn’t want to move up. He finally did and started enjoying the game again. He was getting some birdie chances instead of hitting 4 iron or hybrid into every green.

We all slow down/lose ability at some point. No shame on it, just the way it is. Too many people play the wrong tees.
this is how i feel. the "Ladies tees' Stigma is a strong one and will be tough to break.

i love the idea of someone who cant break 100 to play from the front tees. makes it more enjoyable for everyone, quicker play, etc. obviously no one is going to "Enforce" this so if you are a long hitter but suck around the greens, you can still play from the blues or whites. no one is going to force you to play from the reds because you love to 3-4 putt.

just think it's such a common sense idea and would make it more enjoyable. The only downfall / pitt fall i see is it does suck if you are with 3 buddies and one guy has to play from a different tee box lol. it kind of has that "scarlet letter" feel, like you are outcasted a bit.

The whole group has to play from the same tees to make it save time. If you have four guys playing from four different tees it makes no sense.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
It's a stupid and arbitrary scheme that won't solve the real problem of people taking 10 practice swings or spending 5 minutes lining up a put.

What's the harm in a guy who shoots 85 playing from the blue tees? I do it all the time, and nobody is ever waiting for me.

Reactions: CJsE
Just to add to this. I think the most important thing is play "ready golf". You aren't in the Masters. You aren't wearing a Green Jacket, even if you identify yourself as Masters Champion or "Champion Golfer of the World". You aren't and aren't playing for the title.

4some. Two carts. If one player is near the cart path at 200 yards out from the hole, and the partner is on the other side of the fairway say 175 out, the latter take his 5 iron, and maybe a 7/9/wedge to get it towards the green. If he flubs the shot, he has the requisite irons to handle his next shot without having to go back to his cart and bag. And also, do your practice swings and calculations when your partners are hitting. Not wait and do it then.

And finally.......on the greens, you aren't at Oakmont. Read your putts as your partners are lining theirs. Don't take forever. And hit your putt. And if it is not for big $$$, once inside of 2 feet take the gimme.

Reactions: persp
It's a stupid and arbitrary scheme that won't solve the real problem of people taking 10 practice swings or spending 5 minutes lining up a put.

What's the harm in a guy who shoots 85 playing from the blue tees? I do it all the time, and nobody is ever waiting for me.
This. The issue is pace of play not score.......

You can be a shitty golfer and still maintain pace of play. Dont look for your ball forever..........play ready golf especially on and around the green. I've seen too many people, including good players who dont go to their ball near and on the greens and watch the other players hit their ball before they even get behind their own and prepare for their turn. IMO Most of the time is wasted on or near the greens.

The decrease in the time of play associated with the tees you play from is marginal.

Having said that, I do find it hilarious that shitty golfers play from the tips. For sure its a macho thing.

all good points. the "Time saving" thing isnt even really the point i guess. i think this is more just to increase the enjoyment of the game by the players. that's all.

you are right, it wont make a 4 hour round now go 3 1/2 hours. just kind of have an "out" for bad golfers to play from easier tees for their enjoyment (or sanity).

again, these rules wouldnt exactly be enforced, just suggested. women dont have to play from the reds, seniors dont have to play from the golds.

Just to add to this. I think the most important thing is play "ready golf". You aren't in the Masters. You aren't wearing a Green Jacket, even if you identify yourself as Masters Champion or "Champion Golfer of the World". You aren't and aren't playing for the title.

4some. Two carts. If one player is near the cart path at 200 yards out from the hole, and the partner is on the other side of the fairway say 175 out, the latter take his 5 iron, and maybe a 7/9/wedge to get it towards the green. If he flubs the shot, he has the requisite irons to handle his next shot without having to go back to his cart and bag. And also, do your practice swings and calculations when your partners are hitting. Not wait and do it then.

And finally.......on the greens, you aren't at Oakmont. Read your putts as your partners are lining theirs. Don't take forever. And hit your putt. And if it is not for big $$$, once inside of 2 feet take the gimme.
Bingo Beat me to it. Generally if Im playing in a cart with someone else and we want to keep pace of play, we'll drive to the first ball and determine what club is needed for that player, drop him off and then take the cart to the other ball and get ready for that shot. Then the guy with the cart will drive back to pick the other guy up. Its not that hard to be considerate when the course is packed.

This. The issue is pace of play not score.......

You can be a shitty golfer and still maintain pace of play. Dont look for your ball forever..........play ready golf especially on and around the green. I've seen too many people, including good players who dont go to their ball near and on the greens and watch the other players hit their ball before they even get behind their own and prepare for their turn. IMO Most of the time is wasted on or near the greens.

The decrease in the time of play associated with the tees you play from is marginal.

Having said that, I do find it hilarious that shitty golfers play from the tips. For sure its a macho thing.
im not good, not bad. i am usually in the mid 80s but i'll admit, i usually play some of the more 'Easier" public courses. lindenwood, riverview, south park, madison club, butler's courses, chippewa, 1781 so im not exactly playing oakmont. So 85 is sort of my "par" on those courses but put me on some country club courses and im probably closer to 90.

so with all that said, i am not even looking at the "tips." dont even acknowledge them, i am not in that classification.

to be fair, most of the courses i play, the tips are the blues. i dont think any course i played this year besides Totterridge even had "black" tee boxes.

we all complain about slow play and deservedly so. but as long as you are keeping pace, there is not much you can do.

A big problem with slow and congested play that goes unnoticed is courses setting off tee times 8 minutes apart. sorry but with tee times every 8 minutes, you are going to get backed up regardless of how "ready" you are. this annoys me and it never gets brought up..

Reactions: pittbb80
all good points. the "Time saving" thing isnt even really the point i guess. i think this is more just to increase the enjoyment of the game by the players. that's all.

you are right, it wont make a 4 hour round now go 3 1/2 hours. just kind of have an "out" for bad golfers to play from easier tees for their enjoyment (or sanity).

again, these rules wouldnt exactly be enforced, just suggested. women dont have to play from the reds, seniors dont have to play from the golds.
Yeah. I guess whatever floats your boat. If playing from the tips and shooting a crappy score gives you enjoyment, knock yourself out. But being in my older years and not hitting the ball near as far, I generally play the mixed tees (most courses have combo tees where on some holes you play the blues and some you play the whites, or whatever color tees they use).

I had a buddy who struggled badly and he was still trying to play the longer tees. He obviously didnt score well and it affected his game because he was always pressing to hit longer shots he no longer was capable of hitting. SOmeone convinced him to move to the shorter tees and not only did he score better but he also played much better because he no longer was pressing.

Yeah. I guess whatever floats your boat. If playing from the tips and shooting a crappy score gives you enjoyment, knock yourself out. But being in my older years and not hitting the ball near as far, I generally play the mixed tees (most courses have combo tees where on some holes you play the blues and some you play the whites, or whatever color tees they use).

I had a buddy who struggled badly and he was still trying to play the longer tees. He obviously didnt score well and it affected his game because he was always pressing to hit longer shots he no longer was capable of hitting. SOmeone convinced him to move to the shorter tees and not only did he score better but he also played much better because he no longer was pressing.
this is exactly my thoughts. the few times i played the tips, mainly because we were partnered up with people who were playing it. i forced myself to swing harder off the tee to make up the distance and we all know how that works out. screws u up, pisses you off even more so then you try and murder your second shot to make up for your tee shot and well it's just a domino effect..

Ok, I guess, but I don't get the enjoyment thing. Enjoyment to me is being able to hit some good shots and score on a challenging course. You learn to play courses a certain way and improve against that same layout. Shortening courses isn't fun because you're not using the clubs in your bag, and you're never going to get better unless you're swinging all the clubs in your bag. My opinion I guess...

Ok, I guess, but I don't get the enjoyment thing. Enjoyment to me is being able to hit some good shots and score on a challenging course. You learn to play courses a certain way and improve against that same layout. Shortening courses isn't fun because you're not using the clubs in your bag, and you're never going to get better unless you're swinging all the clubs in your bag. My opinion I guess...
if you are shooting 100 on a round, playing from the front tees doesnt eliminate you using all the clubs in your bag or eliminating challenging shots..

If you are good enough and consistent enough off the tee that playing from the front tee box "eliminates" clubs in your bags, then you arent in the group that is suggested to play from the front tee box. you are shooting in the 80's and playing from the further tee boxes regardless.

plenty of opportunities to hit longer irons or woods on a course no matter what tee box you hit from.. most public courses, it's not that big of a difference. 20-30 yards tops on most typical public courses in the area.

I’ve been on this train for years. New golfers should be playing the furthest up tees. We need to get rid of the stigma of “ladies” and “mens” tees. Some courses are even going to a number system instead of colors to eliminate the red tees are for ladies and whites are for men. It would greatly enhance a players experience and also improve pace of play.

what are the yardages for the white, gold and red tees?

I think distance is probably more relevant than score. As mentioned by others, having to play par 4’s with driver-three wood or driver-hybrid all the time can be unenjoyable for many. If a player doesn’t/can’t hit the ball far enough regularly to ever have much of a chance to make a birdie on a par 4 or par 5 the game might not be fun for them.

The whole group has to play from the same tees to make it save time. If you have four guys playing from four different tees it makes no sense.
This can be mitigated. Nobody is tied together. Go to the tee you want to play and step aside. There’s no need for a procession from one tee to the next.

People playing from the proper tees would be a time saver. Not much can be done about people who beat the ball back and forth across the greens but for those who can’t putt, just putt out. Don’t need to mark. Taking your time,lining up,practice strokes - you’re not good enough. Get on with it - ready golf works on the greens too.

I think distance is probably more relevant than score. As mentioned by others, having to play par 4’s with driver-three wood or driver-hybrid all the time can be unenjoyable for many. If a player doesn’t/can’t hit the ball far enough regularly to ever have much of a chance to make a birdie on a par 4 or par 5 the game might not be fun for them.
You’re correct but my assumption was that was considered/implied in these recommendations. We always look at the yardage and pick a tee from there.

This can be mitigated. Nobody is tied together. Go to the tee you want to play and step aside. There’s no need for a procession from one tee to the next.

People playing from the proper tees would be a time saver. Not much can be done about people who beat the ball back and forth across the greens but for those who can’t putt, just putt out. Don’t need to mark. Taking your time,lining up,practice strokes - you’re not good enough. Get on with it - ready golf works on the greens too.
What if there's a 50 to 100 yard difference in tees. If you're in carts it can be a nightmare.

What if there's a 50 to 100 yard difference in tees. If you're in carts it can be a nightmare.
I get that we can’t solve every issue but for those who can walk, if your cart mate is playing a different tee, hoof it. If it’s not possible to stay out of the way then you can’t. But nobody seems to care much and those who can help speed things up just don’t. And to be fair some probably don’t play much and don’t know any better.

Depends on the course. But on Par 4's usually the yardage difference between Black tees (tips) and White (easiest) is 40-50 yards. On Par 5's it can be 75-90 yards.

So say it is a 400 yard Par 4 from the whites. From the black it is 440. You hit your tshot (modestly) 240 yards on average. If you hit in the fairway from the whites, you have 160/150 into the green. A reasonable 6-7 iron for most. From the blacks, if you don't try and overswing and duff and hit your normal tshot into the fairway at 240, from the blacks you still have 200 to the green which is a lower iron/hybrid and less of a chance to get it on in regulation and more chance for error.

You’re correct but my assumption was that was considered/implied in these recommendations. We always look at the yardage and pick a tee from there.
What I would like to see is the relative difference in distance among the various tees.

Our club has five sets of tees. There is over 2000 yards difference between the tips and the front tees.

The course is also set up to play hybrid tees, and has course and slope ratings established for them.

There are ways to make it fair, reasonable and enjoyable for just about everybody. Just this spring, they even put in a set of junior tee markers out in the fairway to allow kids and beginners to play even a much shorter course than the five established tees.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Just this spring, they even put in a set of junior tee markers out in the fairway to allow kids and beginners to play even a much shorter course than the five established tees.
I’ve been seeing this more myself - great idea. I can see plenty of kids getting bored and/or frustrated by playing any of the “normal” tees.

Reactions: PittMan 72
For sure its all personal preference. I suppose if you hit the ball a bit further what you said is true for sure. You want to play a bit further back because you don't always want to be hitting short irons into the green. But the opposite is true as well. When I was younger for sure I wanted to play back for that very reason. Thats changed since I've lost about 30-40 yards off my drive.

What I would like to see is the relative difference in distance among the various tees.

Our club has five sets of tees. There is over 2000 yards difference between the tips and the front tees.

The course is also set up to play hybrid tees, and has course and slope ratings established for them.

There are ways to make it fair, reasonable and enjoyable for just about everybody. Just this spring, they even put in a set of junior tee markers out in the fairway to allow kids and beginners to play even a much shorter course than the five established tees.
i love the idea of putting up temporary junior tees for kids, great idea.

I get that we can’t solve every issue but for those who can walk, if your cart mate is playing a different tee, hoof it. If it’s not possible to stay out of the way then you can’t. But nobody seems to care much and those who can help speed things up just don’t. And to be fair some probably don’t play much and don’t know any better.
Played in a Father son Tourney in Myrtle This summer. Since the old dudes had the benefit of age we played form the old dude tees. Didnt slow the game down a bit. On the holes where the up tees where far away we'd take one cart and drive up to the shorter tees and be ready to hit once the "bombers" finished their drives. Theres no rule that says you have to stay together in the same cart. Ha ha.

Reactions: PittMan 72
Played in a Father son Tourney in Myrtle This summer. Since the old dudes had the benefit of age we played form the old dude tees. Didnt slow the game down a bit. On the holes where the up tees where far away we'd take one cart and drive up to the shorter tees and be ready to hit once the "bombers" finished their drives. Theres no rule that says you have to stay together in the same cart. Ha ha.
Yep. The hoofing thing can work the other way too. Maybe even better. Bombers are probably good enough to walk. So let the others take the cart to the forward tee. Bomber(s) tee off and walk up.

I posted this on a golf site I frequent and someone posted a response that rebutted my comment that tees dont affect pace of play and I think it has merit. If the tees have a 10-15 stroke impact, thats probably another 15-20 minutes added to the round (ie preparing for another 10-15 shots) and maybe more depending upon how good the player is.

If you’re not holding anyone up then do whatever the hell you wanna do.

But if you haven’t seen guys playing from improper tees and holding things up then I’d guess you’re among the minority.

And for me it’s all of those things that have been mentioned. Over the course of 18 holes with (presumably) 4 golfers it all adds up. Little things here and there really can make a difference. Even things like where you leave the cart. Or the guy who leaves his wedge from where he played a shot instead of picking it up and taking it to the hole or nearer on the walk back to the cart/next tee. And yes I realize I’m getting nitpicky. I just loathe slow play.

Reactions: mas1021
I posted this on a golf site I frequent and someone posted a response that rebutted my comment that tees dont affect pace of play and I think it has merit. If the tees have a 10-15 stroke impact, thats probably another 15-20 minutes added to the round (ie preparing for another 10-15 shots) and maybe more depending upon how good the player is.
It absolutely matters. 100%.

interesting thought. here is what i think. you have the high handicappers (100 or more) playing from the front tee boxes, that means that they are going to be hitting the fairways much more often, less balls in woods, duffed tee shots, out of bounds, worm burners, etc. that means less "mulligans" and 2nd tee shots. so that in itself will be a time saver and will more than make up for the time it takes for one golfer to get out of the cart, grab his driver and walk to the front tee box..

but, i do believe most time on a hole is spent (Wasted) on the greens. i think this is where your "Ready golf" can have the biggest impact. think about golfing behind a slow group. most of your time waiting is when you are on your approach shot, watching 4 guys on the greens that seems forever.

the ones that dont know better, 3 of them are standing next to each other whle the other guy putts or lines up to putt. that's when everyone should be at their ball, lining up and getting ready, while the one guy putts. but nope, they need to do this routine one at a time. if you are next up to putt, you should be at your ball already, lining it up while the guy in front of you putts. not standing on the fringe with the other 2 guys..

I think the stigma was created just to make fun of people. I was under the impression that the tees were always based on ability and that was it.

interesting thought. here is what i think. you have the high handicappers (100 or more) playing from the front tee boxes, that means that they are going to be hitting the fairways much more often, less balls in woods, duffed tee shots, out of bounds, worm burners, etc. that means less "mulligans" and 2nd tee shots. so that in itself will be a time saver and will more than make up for the time it takes for one golfer to get out of the cart, grab his driver and walk to the front tee box..

but, i do believe most time on a hole is spent (Wasted) on the greens. i think this is where your "Ready golf" can have the biggest impact. think about golfing behind a slow group. most of your time waiting is when you are on your approach shot, watching 4 guys on the greens that seems forever.

the ones that dont know better, 3 of them are standing next to each other whle the other guy putts or lines up to putt. that's when everyone should be at their ball, lining up and getting ready, while the one guy putts. but nope, they need to do this routine one at a time. if you are next up to putt, you should be at your ball already, lining it up while the guy in front of you putts. not standing on the fringe with the other 2 guys..
Funny thing I noticed in a league I used to be in and I’m guessing it applies elsewhere. Everyone recognized a slow player, unless it’s themselves.

• Haha
Funny thing I noticed in a league I used to be in and I’m guessing it applies elsewhere. Everyone recognized a slow player, unless it’s themselves.
i've noticed that too. EVERYONE hates slow players but i have yet to find someone who identifies as one. it's always everyone else.

no, they call the ladies tees the ladies tees for a reason. it's not an insult, it's where women tee off from.

Same for seniors tees, if you are older, you are a senior, hence the name of the tee being "seniors tee box." Again, not a subtle insult but named appropriately..

now making fun of your golf partner who didnt make it to the womens tee box off the drive, that's making fun of people and deservedly so.
I'm all for ragging on your buddies but I think the notions of seniors or ladies or mens or pro tees is something that just sort of happened. I don't know, the little bit of time I did golf I knew I sucked so I always went late in the day and played from the shortest tees. No reason to be a problem for anyone else and I couldn't care less what you thought of me.

Golf ranks up pretty high on the list of things that I think the majority of people who play it regularly, take too seriously. Right up there with riding their 10-speed and bowling. Don't get me wrong, that's fine, but it makes it tough for a beginner to feel comfortable when they go out with more seasoned players. Used to hate when they'd throw me in with three guys that had thousands invested in equipment. Could tell I was an annoyance.

I'm all for ragging on your buddies but I think the notions of seniors or ladies or mens or pro tees is something that just sort of happened. I don't know, the little bit of time I did golf I knew I sucked so I always went late in the day and played from the shortest tees. No reason to be a problem for anyone else and I couldn't care less what you thought of me.

Golf ranks up pretty high on the list of things that I think the majority of people who play it regularly, take too seriously. Right up there with riding their 10-speed and bowling. Don't get me wrong, that's fine, but it makes it tough for a beginner to feel comfortable when they go out with more seasoned players. Used to hate when they'd throw me in with three guys that had thousands invested in equipment. Could tell I was an annoyance.
well this mindset (One i agree with) is why this new teebox suggestions works perfectly and the big problem with golf now. it's basically perfect for this outdated mindset by amateur golfers who take the game too seriously.

im kind of all over the place, i take golf kinda serious but im also sneaking in at least 12 beers onto the course in a cooler from my house. some rules i play by and some rules i think are crazy.. i would never in a million years ground my club in a bunker but if i hit it in the woods off the tee and cant find it, im giving myself a good lie and hitting 3 (the rules are you are hitting 4 or going back to tee box and re-hitting it).

Here is an inexpensive way to speed up play.

Below avg golfers (myself included) waste too much time hunting for balls. Along with the plates in the middle of the fairways.....public courses should have colored posts....in the rough....at the same 100-150-200 points.

If you hooked / sliced your ball, and you know your going to have to hunt for it....you can calculate where to look from the cart as you approach, based on a visual you can see and how far you estimate you hit. You can then drive to a more accurate spot to look for your ball.

I am absolutely convinced this will save time and the cost of some wood posts and 3 cans of paint is minimal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT