ADVERTISEMENT

WAY OT: Golfers, thoughts on this

well this mindset (One i agree with) is why this new teebox suggestions works perfectly and the big problem with golf now. it's basically perfect for this outdated mindset by amateur golfers who take the game too seriously.

im kind of all over the place, i take golf kinda serious but im also bringing at least 12 beers onto the course in a cooler. some rules i play by and some rules i think are crazy.. i would never in a million years ground my club in a bunker but if i hit it in the woods off the tee and cant find it, im giving myself a good lie and hitting 3 (the rules are you are hitting 4 or going back to tee box and re-hitting it).
I was only ever in it for the beer. I'm down with any activity that includes drinking and busting chops. I realized I can go fishing and accomplish the same goals without going broke to do it. Also, nobody gets mad at you for peeing behind a tree when you're out along some creek in the woods.

I was only ever in it for the beer. I'm down with any activity that includes drinking and busting chops. I realized I can go fishing and accomplish the same goals without going broke to do it. Also, nobody gets mad at you for peeing behind a tree when you're out along some creek in the woods.
i truly refuse to ever buy beer from a golf course, just will not do it. i dont care the quality of the course, im BYOB'ing it. few positives about covid but one is that the starters for the most part, look the other way on this now..

Just a side note regarding public golf courses.

With inflation (food prices specifically) spiking over the past 3 years, i noticed that grabbing a sandwich at a golf course was always less expensive than a bar / deli shop where food is the primary (and only) business.

I suggested to my sons that they stop at local publics for lunch instead of a bar.

I'm all for ragging on your buddies but I think the notions of seniors or ladies or mens or pro tees is something that just sort of happened. I don't know, the little bit of time I did golf I knew I sucked so I always went late in the day and played from the shortest tees. No reason to be a problem for anyone else and I couldn't care less what you thought of me.

Golf ranks up pretty high on the list of things that I think the majority of people who play it regularly, take too seriously. Right up there with riding their 10-speed and bowling. Don't get me wrong, that's fine, but it makes it tough for a beginner to feel comfortable when they go out with more seasoned players. Used to hate when they'd throw me in with three guys that had thousands invested in equipment. Could tell I was an annoyance.
There are a few dolts who might be annoyed. But most good golfers don’t care as long as you don’t take 5-6 hours to play 18 holes. The league I referenced earlier had many really bad players. I never cared what anyone shot (and still don’t) as long as they did it relatively quickly.

I take it seriously in that if I don’t play well I don’t enjoy it. But I never wanna dump on anyone else’s good time. I think there are many more like me so don’t be so self conscious. Not saying you don’t experience that, just that there are many who aren’t like that.

if you are shooting 100 on a round, playing from the front tees doesnt eliminate you using all the clubs in your bag or eliminating challenging shots..

If you are good enough and consistent enough off the tee that playing from the front tee box "eliminates" clubs in your bags, then you arent in the group that is suggested to play from the front tee box. you are shooting in the 80's and playing from the further tee boxes regardless.

plenty of opportunities to hit longer irons or woods on a course no matter what tee box you hit from.. most public courses, it's not that big of a difference. 20-30 yards tops on most typical public courses in the area.
No able bodied man who shoots 100 should ever play the red tees. You're talking under 5000 yards at many of the courses you mentioned playing. Playing 250 yard par 4s and 380 yard par 5s is benefiting anyone shooting 100. No reason they can't play the whites.

I guess if they're that soft mentally, have at it. It's why I immediatly thought it was pace of play related. Didn't realize we need to placate mediocre golfers with fake scores.

No able bodied man who shoots 100 should ever play the red tees. You're talking under 5000 yards at many of the courses you mentioned playing. Playing 250 yard par 4s and 380 yard par 5s is benefiting anyone shooting 100. No reason they can't play the whites.

I guess if they're that soft mentally, have at it. It's why I immediatly thought it was pace of play related. Didn't realize we need to placate mediocre golfers with fake scores.
lol. i disagree but this post amused me and made me laugh. well done and honestly, a valid and funny reply.

"Didn't realize we need to placate mediocre golfers with fake scores" Is the line fo the day.

If you’re not holding anyone up then do whatever the hell you wanna do.

But if you haven’t seen guys playing from improper tees and holding things up then I’d guess you’re among the minority.

And for me it’s all of those things that have been mentioned. Over the course of 18 holes with (presumably) 4 golfers it all adds up. Little things here and there really can make a difference. Even things like where you leave the cart. Or the guy who leaves his wedge from where he played a shot instead of picking it up and taking it to the hole or nearer on the walk back to the cart/next tee. And yes I realize I’m getting nitpicky. I just loathe slow play.
But most of these guys will still hold people up from a forward tee as well. I don't care what tees people play from, but realize what you are and play accordingly.

Most time is wasted looking for balls and on the putting green. And like you mentioned, there are a lot of little things too.

I don't play as much anymore because of time. If I could consistently play 18 in 3 hours, I'd play a heck of a lot more. Although I learned to play with my buddy's two grandfathers who just walked up and hit the ball. Same on the green, and they were good players.

But most of these guys will still hold people up from a forward tee as well. I don't care what tees people play from, but realize what you are and play accordingly.

Most time is wasted looking for balls and on the putting green. And like you mentioned, there are a lot of little things too.

I don't play as much anymore because of time. If I could consistently play 18 in 3 hours, I'd play a heck of a lot more. Although I learned to play with my buddy's two grandfathers who just walked up and hit the ball. Same on the green, and they were good players.
i've been playing weekdays around 4pm. it's kind of that "sweet spot" where you can get a full round in at around 3 hours. It's after the old man - retired late morning crowd but just beats the 'after work' crowd.

weekend golf is over for me. maybe a real nice course, i'll do once in awhile with a tee time on an early sunday or saturday morning but i just cant justify 5-6 hours at a typical public course like the ones i frequent..

i've been playing weekdays around 4pm. it's kind of that "sweet spot" where you can get a full round in at around 3 hours. It's after the old man - retired late morning crowd but just beats the 'after work' crowd.

weekend golf is over for me. maybe a real nice course, i'll do once in awhile with a tee time on an early sunday or saturday morning but i just cant justify 5-6 hours at a typical public course like the ones i frequent..
A 5 hour round is painful. If you can play in 4 hours or less you shouldnt be on the course.

Play during a steeler game

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

I honestly believe that almost all weekend hacks would play better the faster they played. It might at least keep you out of your own head. Again, most aren’t good enough to need much time. They can prepare and practice swing until they fall over. Won’t matter and I think in most cases it makes things worse.

A 5 hour round is painful. If you can play in 4 hours or less you shouldnt be on the course.
yeah but you can only play as fast as the group in front of you.

95% of the time, the group in front of you that is holding you up, has a group in front of them..

i truly think courses should space out tee times to 15 minutes apart. but of course they wont cause that will initially bring in less money. so 8 minute tee times and we all bunch up at the #2 tee box.

yeah but you can only play as fast as the group in front of you.

95% of the time, the group in front of you that is holding you up, has a group in front of them..

i truly think courses should space out tee times to 15 minutes apart. but of course they wont cause that will initially bring in less money. so 8 minute tee times and we all bunch up at the #2 tee box.
Oh yeah I get it. My club has 10 minute tee time intervals. Not sure you need much more than that.

I honestly believe that almost all weekend hacks would play better the faster they played. It might at least keep you out of your own head.
This is so true. Whenever I get out of whack a bit in the tee box, I find the best thing for me is to just walk up, set my feet, stare at the ball and have at it. Not thinking, no practice swing, no nothing.

I would argue that most of the golfer's who say they shoot in the 90's really score well over 100.

I'm reminded of the guy who got to play at St. Andrews, when he asked the caddie what they called a "Mulligan" in Scotland. The caddie said, "Lying 3".

Between mulligans, improving lies on nearly every shot, not counting out of bounds, etc., they don't shoot anywhere where they claim.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
I would argue that most of the golfer's who say they shoot in the 90's really score well over 100.

I'm reminded of the guy who got to play at St. Andrews, when he asked the caddie what they called a "Mulligan" in Scotland. The caddie said, "Lying 3".

Between mulligans, improving lies on nearly every shot, not counting out of bounds, etc., they don't shoot anywhere where they claim.
My old boss was a huge stickler on counting everything. Played with him a lot, and there was no rolling or fluffing balls, by the book on where balls were dropped/hit after an OB, and certainly no mulligans. Now, I play it where I hit it. Never take a mulligan even if the guys I'm playing with take one.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
i've noticed that too. EVERYONE hates slow players but i have yet to find someone who identifies as one. it's always everyone else.
I hate slow players and loved it in South Carolina we would try and get 1st tee times. Or on a Sunday when us Yankee heathens would get the courses to ourselves cause it is church time.

Anyways, always believed in being courteous with pace. Like I said, if I left the cart to go to my ball, would carry 2-3 clubs. On the green, would try to be ready. Of course I was never some uncoordinated dufus who just would duff, top, blow a putt 12 feet past the hole, then 8 feet past the other direction.......I mean yeah an occasional bad shot, skulling chips and pitches (excelled at that) and misaligning approach shots.....but I was reasonable on lost balls.

My old boss was a huge stickler on counting everything. Played with him a lot, and there was no rolling or fluffing balls, by the book on where balls were dropped/hit after an OB, and certainly no mulligans. Now, I play it where I hit it. Never take a mulligan even if the guys I'm playing with take one.
In other words, you play golf.

Edit to add: The next time you play a game of basketball, ask for a “do over” after missed field goals and foul shots.

Last edited:
I hate slow players and loved it in South Carolina we would try and get 1st tee times. Or on a Sunday when us Yankee heathens would get the courses to ourselves cause it is church time.

Anyways, always believed in being courteous with pace. Like I said, if I left the cart to go to my ball, would carry 2-3 clubs. On the green, would try to be ready. Of course I was never some uncoordinated dufus who just would duff, top, blow a putt 12 feet past the hole, then 8 feet past the other direction.......I mean yeah an occasional bad shot, skulling chips and pitches (excelled at that) and misaligning approach shots.....but I was reasonable on lost balls.
Yeah we play ready golf. Whoever is ready to hit their shot or put goes. None of this waiting for the guy furthest away from the hole to hit

More people need to check the ego and play appropriate tees .
Took yesterday behind a 3 some of some older guys at Birdsfoot .
I’m playing the blues and they are playing the whites .
I watched all 3 of them come up 40 yards short on a 180 yard par 3 .
Mercifully they finally started playing from the reds the last 8 holes after that .

I enjoy that course but I fixed 4 green marks for every 1 I made .
Bunch of lazy and entitled old guys who make the course worse for everyone

The whole group has to play from the same tees to make it save time. If you have four guys playing from four different tees it makes no sense.
Nah -
When I play with my dad or uncles -
I tee off from the normal tee - then they tee off from the seniors .
Doesn’t take any more time at all .

im not good, not bad. i am usually in the mid 80s but i'll admit, i usually play some of the more 'Easier" public courses. lindenwood, riverview, south park, madison club, butler's courses, chippewa, 1781 so im not exactly playing oakmont. So 85 is sort of my "par" on those courses but put me on some country club courses and im probably closer to 90.

so with all that said, i am not even looking at the "tips." dont even acknowledge them, i am not in that classification.

to be fair, most of the courses i play, the tips are the blues. i dont think any course i played this year besides Totterridge even had "black" tee boxes.
Almost no golfers should - unless you are carrying driver 250 yards and totally closer to 290-300.
Which sure ain’t me .
I’m very happy with having a good drive be 230-240 and in play now .

The ball marking on the green is the thing that blows up the pace of play and my personal enjoyment of a round. I can stomach it if a player is 8 feet away from the cup on a birdie or par putt. But go to hell if you are sitting 4 and 60 feet away. Marking your ball.... picking it up..... cleaning it off.... checking wind god almighty..... and then after all of that realizing there are 4 different breaks between your ball and the hole....... just put and pray you have a chance for a two put. Or get the hell out of the way and give yourself a two put on your scorecard.

lol. i disagree but this post amused me and made me laugh. well done and honestly, a valid and funny reply.

"Didn't realize we need to placate mediocre golfers with fake scores" Is the line fo the day.
I do agree. Red tees are for kids or women. White tees should be the norm for once a week golfers. But black tees should not. No need to "challenge" yourself from the blacks unless you can regular break say 85 from the whites.

i truly refuse to ever buy beer from a golf course, just will not do it. i dont care the quality of the course, im BYOB'ing it. few positives about covid but one is that the starters for the most part, look the other way on this now..
I didn't realize that people actually bought beer at a golf course. I thought you had to bring your own.

Does a foursome of ladies who shoot in the 80s zip around the course in lightning fashion when playing from the reds or do they slow up the entire course constantly gossiping about hair styles and Travis and Taylor? asking for a friend.
if a foursome of ladies who all shoot in the 80s actually exists on this planet, and im sure it's happened before, they arent playing the public courses im playing.

Reactions: pittbb80

What does it matter ?
Honestly ?
Play the tees that help you score . Then move back after .

Your arbitrary statement is why there are so many hackers doubling every hole.
Ego is stupid .
The game is supposed to be fun .
It’s why we are paying to play .

Depends on the course .
Talked with the guys who run my old regular course in new castle -
They sell beer and slushes now , so outside beverages aren’t allowed .
He told me it’s part of LCB rules related to liability .

In other words , they have to police you aren’t rolling in with a cooler , because they will lose their liquor license .

Depends on the course .

In other words , they have to police you aren’t rolling in with a cooler , because they will lose their liquor license .
of course BYOB isnt allowed, it never was. my point is, most courses are extremely lax about it the past few years. sort of golf's version of "dont ask, dont tell." you just dont flaunt it then courses really dont care..

there isnt a golf course in this country that allows you to bring your own beer..

Last edited:
Reactions: pitt_87
One of the main causes of slow play is making everyone in a foursome putt out

Im sorry.....this aint the PGA on Sunday afternoon. If you are within 2 feet take your putter, wrist flip the ball into your free hand and GTFO of there.....

Im sorry.....this aint the PGA on Sunday afternoon. If you are within 2 feet take your putter, wrist flip the ball into your free hand and GTFO of there.....
oh man, gonna respectfully disagree. a million little things that cause slow play, knocking in a "gimme" and bending over to pick it out of cup is the least of those things IMO.

honestly, if your round is taking for ever then you ask to play in front of the group in front of you. most likely, there will be a group in front of them so someone, some group, FAR up ahead, is causing the issues.

i truly think its for the most part, courses just sending too many people out there with not enough time between groups. this happens in all walks of life, not just golf. put 100 cars on a road, everything is smooth, no traffic, everyone going where they want. put 400 cars on same road, there is traffic and cars are inching along.

oh man, gonna respectfully disagree. a million little things that cause slow play, knocking in a "gimme" and bending over to pick it out of cup is the least of those things IMO.

honestly, if your round is taking for ever then you ask to play in front of the group in front of you. most likely, there will be a group in front of them so someone, some group, FAR up ahead, is causing the issues.

i truly think its for the most part, courses just sending too many people out there with not enough time between groups. this happens in all walks of life, not just golf. put 100 cars on a road, everything is smooth, no traffic, everyone going where they want. put 400 cars on same road, there is traffic and cars are inching along.
I dont disagree. My point is...its more than knocking in a gimme. I mean....if your partner is not gonna give it to you, now many guys study the putt. Under these conditions, likely at least 2 of 4 have to putt....which includes studying. Say 30 seconds per golfer...2 per hole...say 10-12 holes. It adds up.

I dont mean to argue....but it just grates at me when guys are 15 over at the turn and carry on this way.

Depends on the course .

Slushies? My God as if the American male was not leaking massive quantities of testosterone as it is...but I digress.

I don't think he (like myself) cares if they are "allowed" or not...check in, get a cart, drive to the car. put your clubs in, discreetly put cooler in basket behind seat and cover with towel. Finish first nine holes, repeat with cooler 2 in the trunk....Not rocket science and golf course employees are mostly retired guys getting paid next to nothing and play for free who do not give two shitts....

I said this exact thing above. Unless there is alot of $$$ riding on it. You get within 2 feet, pick up. I am also a staunch believer of max score of double par. You are on your 9th stroke on a Par 4, pick up and move on to the next hole and mark down an 8. Unless there is no one else around and you aren't holding up play, then have it mate.

Reactions: Las Panteras
I said this exact thing above. Unless there is alot of $$$ riding on it. You get within 2 feet, pick up. I am also a staunch believer of max score of double par. You are on your 9th stroke on a Par 4, pick up and move on to the next hole and mark down an 8. Unless there is no one else around and you aren't holding up play, then have it mate.
My dad’s league the max score is 8 on any hole

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT