ADVERTISEMENT

Way way OT: Question about a new house

Jun 3, 2023
My wife and I just purchased a farmhouse with more space for a growing family in a rural area north of Butler. We’ve been here for about 6 months, but my wife has been telling me about some weird things going on in the house that easily has 100 different reasons why it could be happening. That was until about a week ago when I was watching some TV alone in the house when I heard a knock on the front door. Now, given that this is a rural area and we don’t really have neighbors, I thought this was off, but went to answer the door. When I got to the door, no one was there. I looked around l, and if it was a prank, there is enough land that I could see kids running away. I just closed the door and went back to watching TV.

About 20 minutes later, another knock on the front door, and this time I walked quicker to the door and answered, no one there. When I closed the door, I heard people talking upstairs, but I was the only one home. It honestly gave me the creeps. 2 nights ago, around 3:15AM my wife, daughter and myself heard the sound of glass breaking downstairs. So, being in Law Enforcement, I grabbed the pump action shotgun, had my wife call 911, tell them who I was and someone broke in. Got my daughter in our bedroom and started to shout commands down the steps to make themselves known or I will blow your head off. I was able to make it downstairs, got some lights on, still shouting commands. I cleared the entire house, and not only was no one inside my home, no glass was broken anywhere in the house.

I’ve always been a skeptic of paranormal things, but I’m thinking about burning this place down if I am being honest, it’s a weird vibe here. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Did you move to this house from a more urban area? We are all creatures of habit, and moving to a dead quiet farmhouse from a home in a more populated location could be playing some tricks on you. Without the accustomed background noise, it's amazing how loud some things can sound in the dead quiet.

I jump back and forth from my house in Piitsburgh 150 yards from a set of train tracks and the parkway to a place in the woods. I don't hear a thing at night in Pittsburgh, but am woken constantly at night in the woods

Or your house is haunted and you need to burn that bitch down.

Reminds me of that Pittsburgh politician in the early 90’s who bought that big beautiful house in Brentwood, only to have paranormal /supernatural activities going on in it. There’s been all kinds of TV shows and podcasts about it.

@NatronaHeightsPanther you might want to reach out to this guy. He’s been through a lot.

Did you move to this house from a more urban area? We are all creatures of habit, and moving to a dead quiet farmhouse from a home in a more populated location could be playing some tricks on you. Without the accustomed background noise, it's amazing how loud some things can sound in the dead quiet.

I jump back and forth from my house in Piitsburgh 150 yards from a set of train tracks and the parkway to a place in the woods. I don't hear a thing at night in Pittsburgh, but am woken constantly at night in the woods

Or your house is haunted and you need to burn that bitch down.
The glass breaking thing woke all of us simultaneously. It is one of the weirdest things to happen to me. You have a point about moving to a rural place, but for months, I didn’t hear or experience a thing. My wife and daughter want to move, but we have so much invested here, we’d have to take a loss on it.

Reminds me of that Pittsburgh politician in the early 90’s who bought that big beautiful house in Brentwood, only to have paranormal /supernatural activities going on in it. There’s been all kinds of TV shows and podcasts about it.

@NatronaHeightsPanther you might want to reach out to this guy. He’s been through a lot.

Thank you for that. I feel insane for even saying this, but my brother told me last night there are paranormal investigators that will stay in your house for a night and see if anything happens to them. Of all the things that could happen in 2024, this wasn’t on my radar.

My wife and I just purchased a farmhouse with more space for a growing family in a rural area north of Butler. We’ve been here for about 6 months, but my wife has been telling me about some weird things going on in the house that easily has 100 different reasons why it could be happening. That was until about a week ago when I was watching some TV alone in the house when I heard a knock on the front door. Now, given that this is a rural area and we don’t really have neighbors, I thought this was off, but went to answer the door. When I got to the door, no one was there. I looked around l, and if it was a prank, there is enough land that I could see kids running away. I just closed the door and went back to watching TV.

About 20 minutes later, another knock on the front door, and this time I walked quicker to the door and answered, no one there. When I closed the door, I heard people talking upstairs, but I was the only one home. It honestly gave me the creeps. 2 nights ago, around 3:15AM my wife, daughter and myself heard the sound of glass breaking downstairs. So, being in Law Enforcement, I grabbed the pump action shotgun, had my wife call 911, tell them who I was and someone broke in. Got my daughter in our bedroom and started to shout commands down the steps to make themselves known or I will blow your head off. I was able to make it downstairs, got some lights on, still shouting commands. I cleared the entire house, and not only was no one inside my home, no glass was broken anywhere in the house.

I’ve always been a skeptic of paranormal things, but I’m thinking about burning this place down if I am being honest, it’s a weird vibe here. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?
Do you know the history of the house? Its former occupants? Anyone die in the house? Set up some motion detection cameras and you'll hopefully discover what/who is knocking on your door and around the house.

Do you know the history of the house? Its former occupants? Anyone die in the house? Set up some motion detection cameras and you'll hopefully discover what/who is knocking on your door and around the house.
I actually talked to our closest neighbor, which is like a quarter mile away and asked that question, and no one knew or anything. I talked to a guy from Pittsburgh paranormal investigators today and hopefully they can find something soon. My wife doesn’t want to be here alone anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

on a football board.

Keep us updated. This is like a Halloween movie. Wife and daughter want to move but you are like— nothing to worry about. I am not feeling good about the next episode

why are ghosts always soo pissed off, scaring the living. most people are nice, when they pass away, why do they automatically turn into evil, pissed off spirits wanting to cause harm to the living?

Reactions: Pittduck
The glass breaking thing woke all of us simultaneously. It is one of the weirdest things to happen to me. You have a point about moving to a rural place, but for months, I didn’t hear or experience a thing. My wife and daughter want to move, but we have so much invested here, we’d have to take a loss on it.
Do you have any mice running around? How sealed up is your basement? I watched a groundhog run under my place in the woods tonight because I left the damn crawl door open enough for him to squeeze in. Little guy will be gone tomorrow one way or another.... but I can hear him rummaging around under the place.

why are ghosts always soo pissed off, scaring the living. most people are nice, when they pass away, why do they automatically turn into evil, pissed off spirits wanting to cause harm to the living?
Because the new owners of the house wiped their ass with the terrible towl hanging in their old man cave?

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

Uh, no. Apparently you are just playing poker with a pinochle deck upstairs.

I kind of believe your issue. I had a friend who lived ina suburb of pittsburgh and his family had similar experience but not as drastic. They kind of just got use to it but it was not as bad as your situation/

I kind of believe your issue. I had a friend who lived ina suburb of pittsburgh and his family had similar experience but not as drastic. They kind of just got use to it but it was not as bad as your situation/

Had a priest friend that told us about a similar story. So yeah this can happen. I believe the hotel at Conneaut Lake is supposedly haunted as well. And as someone posted earlier the story with Bob Cranmer.

If you exercist the ghost, does that extend to pitt football? My suggestion is to burn down your house. At best it breaks the pitt curse ..at worst you get the insurance money and a new non haunted home

I have no reason to doubt the OP’s story or sincerity, nor will I conjecture in any way as to what could have caused this.

It does remind me however of weird things that happen in our lives like this that have no explanation.

Case in point was my senior year at Pitt in my apartment on Atwood Street. We lived on the first floor, but no one else lived in the 3 floor building at the time.

We had a “great room” with the kitchen/living room. One of my roommates lived in a bedroom (which was once the dining room when it was a single family dwelling) connected to the great room with a sliding door.

One evening, one roommate and I were in the great room while the other roommate was in his bedroom with the sliding door closed.

We heard a very, very loud and clear crash, which sounded like a dresser falling over just on the other side of sliding door. We immediately went to the sliding door and my roommate came out from the sliding door, wanting to know what is was, as he thought the loud noise came from our side.

We had no explanation at all, and we went into the basement and the rooms above us which offered no clues at all.

After an hour of trying to figure it out, we eventually just shrugged it off and nothing like this never happened again. But we always though it was really strange.

The only other thing I can add is that there was a fire in the building a couple of years prior where we were told there was a fatality.

I have no reason to doubt the OP’s story or sincerity, nor will I conjecture in any way as to what could have caused this.

It does remind me however of weird things that happen in our lives like this that have no explanation.

Case in point was my senior year at Pitt in my apartment on Atwood Street. We lived on the first floor, but no one else lived in the 3 floor building at the time.

We had a “great room” with the kitchen/living room. One of my roommates lived in a bedroom (which was once the dining room when it was a single family dwelling) connected to the great room with a sliding door.

One evening, one roommate and I were in the great room while the other roommate was in his bedroom with the sliding door closed.

We heard a very, very loud and clear crash, which sounded like a dresser falling over just on the other side of sliding door. We immediately went to the sliding door and my roommate came out from the sliding door, wanting to know what is was, as he thought the loud noise came from our side.

We had no explanation at all, and we went into the basement and the rooms above us which offered no clues at all.

After an hour of trying to figure it out, we eventually just shrugged it off and nothing like this never happened again. But we always though it was really strange.

The only other thing I can add is that there was a fire in the building a couple of years prior where we were told there was a fatality.
I'm kind of in the same boat. The premise here is I don't belive in aliens or ufos but I believe it's absolutely possible and probable that there is life somewhere else out there in the universe, either present or in the past.

So my senior year in high school...I grew up in rural northwest pa. Middle of the night and I hear what sounds like a helicopter sound...green light is filling my bedroom from the window. I had a room with windows on two sides of my room. The light starts moving , circling the house...to follow the light, I have to go into my mom and step Dad's room. I wake them as I follow the light. It is moving and circling the house faster and faster. I am freaking out and subsequently wake my mom and step dad. They see it and are curious but ultimately we all chalk it up to a military exercise. (We would get air force planes from erie doing training maneuvers over our land quite often with planes and helicopters.) To this day the green light and sound was too fast and different from a helicopter. I would say it was a ufo but I don't want to be institutionalized so my adult brain says it was probably a combination of dreamlike state with a normal helicopter. That said my mom and step dad both saw it and also didn't think in retrospect it was a normal helicopter. So maybe I was visited by aliens in my youth. Who knows???

I'm kind of in the same boat. The premise here is I don't belive in aliens or ufos but I believe it's absolutely possible and probable that there is life somewhere else out there in the universe, either present or in the past.

So my senior year in high school...I grew up in rural northwest pa. Middle of the night and I hear what sounds like a helicopter sound...green light is filling my bedroom from the window. I had a room with windows on two sides of my room. The light starts moving , circling the house...to follow the light, I have to go into my mom and step Dad's room. I wake them as I follow the light. It is moving and circling the house faster and faster. I am freaking out and subsequently wake my mom and step dad. They see it and are curious but ultimately we all chalk it up to a military exercise. (We would get air force planes from erie doing training maneuvers over our land quite often with planes and helicopters.) To this day the green light and sound was too fast and different from a helicopter. I would say it was a ufo but I don't want to be institutionalized so my adult brain says it was probably a combination of dreamlike state with a normal helicopter. That said my mom and step dad both saw it and also didn't think in retrospect it was a normal helicopter. So maybe I was visited by aliens in my youth. Who knows???

I think that while science and research is wonderful, there are still a lot of unexplained phenomena in the universe that we still don't understand that doesn't necessarily point to alien life or UFO's.

But when you think the definition of life could be one tiny microbe, then it is a little hard to think in the vastness of the universe that something like that doesn't exist.

Reactions: ratking17
The most logical explanation is you are hyper vigilant from your work in law enforcement. Especially if you have had to use your weapon in the line of duty. If you are not sleeping well, or awaken super quickly coming out a dream, you can get sleep-related hallucinations. I find it odd that all of you would have been awakened at 3:15 a.m….

"Demon of Brownsville Road" used to be how I'd describe my walk to class on Monday mornings in Souf Oakland after a football weekend centered around too many Red Dogs in the early 00's.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I say, get to know them. Find out if they need something. Might be pretty cool to have some paranormal guests that would happily rid you of your enemies.
use ghosts to your advantage? I love it.. what the hell can you give them that they want though? Feel like leaving the tv on at night is a good start.

Reactions: Tucker99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT