ADVERTISEMENT

WBB info?

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
Anyone of this free board know what's going on with Pitt's WBB roster? I liked the Lance White hire, but little info has surfaced other than the announced staff (which I also like). Anyone know what has happened with the roster? Recruits from Suzie, new recruits, which players stayed and left after his hire? Just curious, and interested to see how new staff is doing.

Reactions: cease10
Anyone of this free board know what's going on with Pitt's WBB roster? I liked the Lance White hire, but little info has surfaced other than the announced staff (which I also like). Anyone know what has happened with the roster? Recruits from Suzie, new recruits, which players stayed and left after his hire? Just curious, and interested to see how new staff is doing.
I second what you asked. I’m an all Pitt sports fan would enjoy reading any info especially recruiting thanks

Don’t know much, but for the third year in a row, our best player transferred out. Yacine Diop is off to Louisville, where she should be awesome. She was the only really athletic player we had.

We have a couple of decent stand-still 3- point shooters, and an experienced point guard coming back, but the team has been amazingly inconsistent.

Hopefully they can play a little better being out from under the Suzie approach...

Giant re-build needed...

Go Pitt.

Reactions: cabe23
Yes, Coach Suzie never seemed to be able to recruit a quality post player. The only good season was her first when she inherited Kiesel (future WNBA) at the point and found that 5th year Pitt grad student who was out of volleyball eligibility to play the post. The latter had played basketball in H.S. and proved to be an excellent post. She could rebound, she could score and she blocked shots and intimidated inside on defense. We haven't had a post player remotely close to her ability since.

As regards the incoming point guards--As I believe I mentioned in another thread, 2 of these 3 incoming point guards are coming off knee injuries. So, we don't even know if they will be able to play or play effectively. According to newspaper articles, Jahsyni Knight (4-star) was "recovering from (Jr year?) torn ACL and Tehya Lyons (3-star) had a "season ending knee injury" Sr year. Prapa, the Greek girl looks good on video and she is the #32 Euro in her age group but not knowing the quality of women's Euro basketball it is hard to know what she will bring to the table although ESPN rates her a high 3-star equal to Lyons.

Like the rest of you I would like to know what the new coach is doing now in recruiting to try for a near term fix so that next season can at least result in some noticeable W vs L improvement (i.e., any grad transfers or late 2018 signees?) Also, it would be nice to know if Coach White and staff are having any success in early recruiting for the 2019 class (November LOI signing period).

Last edited:
Reactions: Chescat
As I posted the other day, the two biggest pieces of news that I had were that both Kalista Walters and Aysia Bugg decided to come back for their senior years after having both requested releases before the coaching change. I have heard nothing at all about whether or not our three recruits are still coming or if there are any other possibilities for the upcoming season.

Reactions: cabe23
Even though the women's team wasn't quite the disaster that the men's team was, I expect the rebuilding to be more of a grind than what we'll experience with the men. Capel will be able to leverage his fame to enable a fairly quick return to respectability, while White is going to basically have to grind it out.

Even though the women's team wasn't quite the disaster that the men's team was, I expect the rebuilding to be more of a grind than what we'll experience with the men. Capel will be able to leverage his fame to enable a fairly quick return to respectability, while White is going to basically have to grind it out.

You're probably right about the "grind." I don't know much about coaches in women's Bball other than the famous ones. If White or maybe his assistants are big in the
recruiting world of this sport, than they might be able to get the program to a
respectable level sooner than later. What I do know is, the cast he's inheriting is nowhere near top ACC level. He also lost Diop, the one player with ACC level talent.
He can probably get a few more wins out of this group, but I'm afraid there's no
real answer until he recruits some real talent.

You're probably right about the "grind." I don't know much about coaches in women's Bball other than the famous ones. If White or maybe his assistants are big in the
recruiting world of this sport, than they might be able to get the program to a
respectable level sooner than later. What I do know is, the cast he's inheriting is nowhere near top ACC level. He also lost Diop, the one player with ACC level talent.
He can probably get a few more wins out of this group, but I'm afraid there's no
real answer until he recruits some real talent.

And we do not know if he is in the process of starting to get such recruits.

And we do not know if he is in the process of starting to get such recruits.
It's pretty late in the game now. Pretty much nothing but scraps out there now. I hope he's putting most of his efforts into the fall class. Next season is going to be ugly, but it'll be easier to swallow if he has a good class already in the bag for the following year.

The only point I was making is that we really don't know anything and it could just as easily be because it is extremely difficult to learn of these things in women's hoops (vs in men's hoops) as because there may not be anything to learn.

Just because there is silence can, but doesn't necessarily, mean Coach White and staff haven't found a recruit or two; or found a grad transfer post player or may be continuing to actively look for such.

Looking to the past, we never seemed to learn anything about women's hoops recruits until there was a Pitt press release. In addition, those press releases seemed to often come quite sometime after LOIs were signed.

DC - good points about the lack of information on women’s hoops. Remember all the “mysterious” disappearances of players from the roster going back to the final years of the Berenato era... Intrigue galore...

Go Pitt!

White and his staff are incredibly hands on with conditioning and skill drills and have been in the gym with the team for the past 2 weeks.

I just returned home from a trip to Germany and France and one night we were walking in St. Tropez and my phone rang.

Normally I'd not even answer it but I recognized a Pitt number so I answered, it was Coach White thanking me for being a season ticket holder and hoping that re-up again for the upcoming season. He seems like a really nice guy. I admit, at first, I thought it was a robo-call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT