ADVERTISEMENT

We did NOT get a top four seed

I would be shocked if they came out and say this, but I guarantee that there were people in that room thinking that they can't give Pitt a top four seed because they can't allow Pitt to potentially play six games in their home town to win a championship.

I would be shocked if they came out and say this, but I guarantee that there were people in that room thinking that they can't give Pitt a top four seed because they can't allow Pitt to potentially play six games in their home town to win a championship.
But haven’t they done it with other top seeds? Can’t believe pitt would be the first to have that scenario.

If Pitt finishes 4th in the RPI, then I think in most years they would have got that #4 seed. But this year, given the circumstances and potential home court throughout, they won’t do it. Too much of an advantage for a #4.

I’m guessing we will have to go through Wisconsin, then Baylor.

But haven’t they done it with other top seeds? Can’t believe pitt would be the first to have that scenario.

No, that has probably never happened before. Because up until a few years ago the third/fourth round sites were selected long before the tournament, not just the Final Four. So there would have never been a time that the second weekend games were played in the same city as the finals.

If Pitt finishes 4th in the RPI, then I think in most years they would have got that #4 seed. But this year, given the circumstances and potential home court throughout, they won’t do it. Too much of an advantage for a #4.
I would say it has less to do with us staying in Pittsburgh and more to do with the fact that the ACC is much worse than the major conferences and the fact that if they give Wisky a top seed over us, they will also have much greater attendance at Wisky then they would at Pitt.

Although now that I think about it, what was Minnesota seeded last year? They didn't make the Final Four, but they were a high seed. And the Final Four was in Minneapolis.

I would say it has less to do with us staying in Pittsburgh and more to do with the fact that the ACC is much worse than the major conferences and the fact that if they give Wisky a top seed over us, they will also have much greater attendance at Wisky then they would at Pitt.
Money is probably your answer.

Didn’t the ncaa make Gonzaga a 1 seed in basketball? If Gonzaga is 29-1 and a top #4 RPI, they’re getting a #1 seed. They just are.

Of course the RPI isn’t used anymore in hoops but my point remains.

And they matched it up so that we'd play Penn State in the third round.

Tell me they didn't screw with the bracket to make that happen.

And they matched it up so that we'd play Penn State in the third round.

Tell me they didn't screw with the bracket to make that happen.
As soon as I saw that we're the 6th seed, I predicted the nitters would be in our region. Such crap.

Sixth seed is bullshit. Slap in the face. Eff em.

As I said, ACC volleyball is like A10 basketball. If VCU basketball was 29-1 and Pitt basketball was 22-6, we'd all be saying how the A10 sucks and Pitt deserves to be seeded higher.

Looking at the top seeds, It is all about B12 and Big Ten. They are rewarding their history. Committee decision making is a fraud.

So we play them in Palo Alto, correct? Man, that's dumb to make them fly across the country to do that.
Yes, if we win our first 2 matches (and we shouldn't have a problem), we likely get PSU in Stanford and then Stanford after that to get to FF. Tough road, but no matter what way this went, anything in the final 16 is going to be tough.

As a Spectrum Cable subscriber, I am able watch the ACC Network, the Longhorn Network, the Pac12 Network and the Big Ten Network.

As such, I really got into Women's Volleyball this year and watched many of the Tournament teams on multiple occasions.

The top several seeds are very close in ability. Any of them are capable of winning the National Championship. Obviously, the Top 4 seeds will have the home court advantage and all 4 have rabid fan bases the will be out in force.

My take is that Pitt can and will compete with them all.

My dark horse pick is #5 seed, Nebraska (after Pitt, of course!).

LET'S GO PITT!

And then they talk to the committee head, and she literally talks and yet says nothing. Why the four, five and six seeds? She just rattles off the things that the committee is supposed to consider. Why the last four in as opposed to the first four out? Well because of the same things they considered for the four, five and six spots. Basically no details for anything that they did.

What the committee chairwoman essentially said is they valued SOS, conference, common opponents, etc more than The RPI. So in other words, those things were weighted more heavily that W-L record.

No reason a team with 5 more losses than Pitt should be seeded ahead of them.

The chairman of the committee just vaguely went through the criteria that they used. Based on their criteria, there was no way Pitt would have ever been a number one through 4 seed this year. Playing highly ranked teams in the Big Ten counts more. Even if Pitt were undefeated this year, I don't think they would have been chosen.

Reactions: gary2 and HOF Coach
The chairman of the committee just vaguely went through the criteria that they used. Based on their criteria, there was no way Pitt would have ever been a number one through 4 seed this year. Playing highly ranked teams in the Big Ten counts more. Even if Pitt were undefeated this year, I don't think they would have been chosen.
Coach Dan Fisher never expected to be a Top 4 seed because of this criteria. As such, he has his team mentally prepared to win on the road.

Reactions: phijo and Fk_Pitt
Yeah but my point is that Wisconsin played all those teams but LOST 6 games. That is more significant than anything else to me.

If I’m interviewing the chair, I’d ask her doesn’t the win loss record count for something???

Coach Dan Fisher never expected to be a Top 4 seed because of this criteria. As such, he has his team mentally prepared to win on the road.
I kind of like the draw in a way. I’m disappointed...but PSU is a team we already beat and they present a challenge for us that will prepare us for Stanford if we are fortunate enough to advance to the Final 8. Additionally, Stanford being the defending national champion won’t be easy but at least we don’t have to go to Texas or Wisconsin. Those would be tough venues to play in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT