ADVERTISEMENT

We need the FIBA World Cup to be bigger

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
This Olympic Basketball Tournament was great but it sucks we only get to see this every 4 years. No one cares about the FIBA World Cup but it needs to be bigger. How? Play it mid-season and require NBA players play if not injured or they miss the first X amount of games after the break. I know owners wont want their stars getting injured but they might not get injured and its best for the NBA and the global game to play it at a time when NBA players play and people are paying attention.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
This Olympic Basketball Tournament was great but it sucks we only get to see this every 4 years. No one cares about the FIBA World Cup but it needs to be bigger. How? Play it mid-season and require NBA players play if not injured or they miss the first X amount of games after the break. I know owners wont want their stars getting injured but they might not get injured and its best for the NBA and the global game to play it at a time when NBA players play and people are paying attention.
NBA players all play in it, all the big names have been there.

Why on earth would the NBA teams agree to a rule that said that if their players don't play in the event that they have to miss actual NBA games? To say nothing of agreeing to an international tournament in the middle of their season.

They'd have to be dumber than you to vote for something like that.

Reactions: Parkview57
Why on earth would the NBA teams agree to a rule that said that if their players don't play in the event that they have to miss actual NBA games? To say nothing of agreeing to an international tournament in the middle of their season.

They'd have to be dumber than you to vote for something like that.

Maybe if they got a cut of the revenue? FIBA wouldn't want to give a cut but the tournament usually lacks a lot of big stars so maybe FIBA would concede some money if they partnered with the NBA to make sure the best played.

Maybe if they got a cut of the revenue? FIBA wouldn't want to give a cut but the tournament usually lacks a lot of big stars so maybe FIBA would concede some money if they partnered with the NBA to make sure the best played.

Do you really think the NBA "needs" more money?

Do you really think the NBA "needs" more money?
I mean... I'm not defending SMF here because his idea is dumb. But yes, the NBA absolutely needs more money. Every pro franchise needs more money.

I mean... I'm not defending SMF here because his idea is dumb. But yes, the NBA absolutely needs more money. Every pro franchise needs more money.

There are people out there that dont like the NBA style of basketball. I am one. But put the best players in a knockout tournament and its amazing. Like the NCAA Tournament on steroids. I am quite sure people said the Play-In Tournament and In-Season Tournaments were bad ideas too. We need more "knockout" basketball. If the FIBA World Cup had the best players, it could be really big. And the only way I see to do that is to have it mid-season and partner with the NBA to require players to play or they miss X amount of games after the break.

I probably should of added this (i thought it was obvious) FIBA's total revenue is only $400 mil. After expenses- there's not much money left to pay NBA players any amount that moves the needle.

Reactions: Ski11585
I probably should of added this (i thought it was obvious) FIBA's total revenue is only $400 mil. After expenses- there's not much money left to pay NBA players any amount that moves the needle.

I didn't say FIBA should pay NBA players. Players in FIBA competitions are paid by their national teams. FIBA would get one heck of an American TV deal if they were just competing with college basketball and the NHL during 2 weeks in February.

I didn't say FIBA should pay NBA players. Players in FIBA competitions are paid by their national teams. FIBA would get one heck of an American TV deal if they were just competing with college basketball and the NHL during 2 weeks in February.

They already have viewership in excess of 3 billion. For that, it generates $400 mil.

Yeah, by the FIBA bureaucrats.

I mean do you really not understand that this idea doesn't make money for the NBA players and it doesn't make money for the NBA owners, so no one in the NBA would ever go for it? You can't be this dense.

No one in the USA watches it. This means their American TV deal is worth very little. FIBA and NBA partner to play it in February with A-list NBA players and everyone in USA will watch. This equals a big TV deal that FIBA shares with the NBA. This isnt hard to understand. Win. Win. More money for FIBA, more money for the NBA. Do a few players get injured? Maybe but also, maybe not.

No one in the USA watches it. This means their American TV deal is worth very little. FIBA and NBA partner to play it in February with A-list NBA players and everyone in USA will watch. This equals a big TV deal that FIBA shares with the NBA. This isnt hard to understand. Win. Win. More money for FIBA, more money for the NBA. Do a few players get injured? Maybe but also, maybe not.
There is no way they’ll pay NBA players enough to play in this thing coming off all star break when they’re trying to focus on, you know, the season that actually matters.

Reactions: joeydavid
There is no way they’ll pay NBA players enough to play in this thing coming off all star break when they’re trying to focus on, you know, the season that actually matters.

FIBA will pay them $0. The national teams pay them. And if they dont play, they miss the first, I dont know 2-3 games after the break. That's my plan to grow the game. We need more national team ball.

FIBA will pay them $0. The national teams pay them. And if they dont play, they miss the first, I dont know 2-3 games after the break. That's my plan to grow the game. We need more national team ball.
I’d watch it but there’s little, and by little I mean zero chance NBA owners would be good with this. Imagine Ant Edwards gets hurt and is out for the season. And yea - I know - they can get hurt any time. But getting hurt outside of the NBA would be devastating. Hell I’d guess there are plenty of owners who don’t want their guys playing in the Olympics but probably just bite their tongues.

I’d watch it but there’s little, and by little I mean zero chance NBA owners would be good with this. Imagine Ant Edwards gets hurt and is out for the season. And yea - I know - they can get hurt any time. But getting hurt outside of the NBA would be devastating. Hell I’d guess there are plenty of owners who don’t want their guys playing in the Olympics but probably just bite their tongues.

Comes down to money. If some joint NBA/FIBA deal with ESPN paid each owner a few million, they'd take their chances on Ant Edwards getting hurt.

Comes down to money. If some joint NBA/FIBA deal with ESPN paid each owner a few million, they'd take their chances on Ant Edwards getting hurt.
Over the course of your posting history you clearly think that money solves everything. But trust me when I tell you this (yet again) not everyone operates that way.

For some a few million isn’t worth the risk. These players are huge investments and it’s only getting bigger.

Over the course of your posting history you clearly think that money solves everything. But trust me when I tell you this (yet again) not everyone operates that way.

For some a few million isn’t worth the risk. These players are huge investments and it’s only getting bigger.

For some, you are right. They may not the extra few million for the .01% chance their star suffers a season-altering injury. But, most of the 30 owners would vote to take the money and the tiny chance their star suffers a significant injury. These are greedy-ass bastards.

What makes you think there's any money in a mid-season FIBA/NBA tourney? The only international basketball ball competition anyone cares about is the Olympics and that's because it's the Olympics. What's the appeal of a FIBA/NBA tourney? All the best players in the world are playing in the NBA, its not like the 80's in hockey when the Canada Cup was a big deal due to the Soviets and to an extent the Swedes having great players no one seen play.

Even the owners of the European pro teams wouldn't want this nonsense.

Reactions: Ski11585
What makes you think there's any money in a mid-season FIBA/NBA tourney? The only international basketball ball competition anyone cares about is the Olympics and that's because it's the Olympics. What's the appeal of a FIBA/NBA tourney? All the best players in the world are playing in the NBA, its not like the 80's in hockey when the Canada Cup was a big deal due to the Soviets and to an extent the Swedes having great players no one seen play.

Even the owners of the European pro teams wouldn't want this nonsense.

No NBA, no NFL = big ratings

And its an attempt to grow the competition so people do care about it a generation from now. Right now, its a 0

No NBA, no NFL = big ratings

And its an attempt to grow the competition so people do care about it a generation from now. Right now, its a 0

Austi
They already have over 3 billion viewers. They only generate $400 mil in top line revenue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT