ADVERTISEMENT

We seriously rolling with this D-tackle group?

DEDTDT
DE
DL1Dayon HayesNick JamesSean FitzSimmonsNate Matlack
DL2Nate TempleNahki Johnson ORIsaiah NealNahki Johnson ORElliot DonaldDavid Ojiegebe
DL3Bam BrimaFrancis BrewuJahsear WhittingtonJimmy Scott

You have to think they'll try and get one more guy through the portal before the season starts.

You would think. An upperclassmen with only one year of eligibility or something with no clear path at his current school or something like that. Not expecting a star at this point - just another player of the Green/Danielson/Bentley mold.

D-linemen are definitely at a premium, though, which is concerning. DeAndre Jules was a good player, but he wasn't $300k good. Aside from that, we are way over on scholarships once the new class gets in so we already have a lot of trimming to do.

You would think. An upperclassmen with only one year of eligibility or something with no clear path at his current school or something like that. Not expecting a star at this point - just another player of the Green/Danielson/Bentley mold.

D-linemen are definitely at a premium, though, which is concerning. DeAndre Jules was a good player, but he wasn't $300k good. Aside from that, we are way over on scholarships once the new class gets in so we already have a lot of trimming to do.
Not sure how late you can transfer and start for a new team in a given year but I suspect in addition to kids transferring out after spring practice, there will be DTs and other players available from other schools after they see where they are on the depth chart. I would be surprised if we didnt pick up a DT and perhaps some other positions after the spring practices are over.

Not sure how late you can transfer and start for a new team in a given year but I suspect in addition to kids transferring out after spring practice, there will be DTs and other players available from other schools after they see where they are on the depth chart. I would be surprised if we didnt pick up a DT and perhaps some other positions after the spring practices are over.

The second portal window opens in like April or something, for two weeks.

Found this on CFN

When Does the Spring Transfer Portal Open?​

The spring transfer portal officially opens on Saturday, April 15, 2024, and closes on Sunday, April 30, 2024, giving just 15 days for players to enter the portal.

With only 15 days to enter the portal, the timeframe is much shorter than the winter period, and it is important to remember that a player only needs to enter the portal during those dates. Once their names are in the portal, they are free to complete their move at any time.

However, for the benefit of the team and the player, a swift conclusion is often met at the start of the upcoming regular season.

Found this on CFN

When Does the Spring Transfer Portal Open?​

The spring transfer portal officially opens on Saturday, April 15, 2024, and closes on Sunday, April 30, 2024, giving just 15 days for players to enter the portal.

With only 15 days to enter the portal, the timeframe is much shorter than the winter period, and it is important to remember that a player only needs to enter the portal during those dates. Once their names are in the portal, they are free to complete their move at any time.

However, for the benefit of the team and the player, a swift conclusion is often met at the start of the upcoming regular season.

I think grad transfers might be able to enter at any time. So that is also a possibility.

Another window opens when a coach leaves. Players on that team can immediately enter the portal. As long as the coaching carousel continues, there will be players available. Michigan players can leave now but I haven't any yet. If they hire internally, it may not be a big number.

Another window opens when a coach leaves. Players on that team can immediately enter the portal. As long as the coaching carousel continues, there will be players available. Michigan players can leave now but I haven't any yet. If they hire internally, it may not be a big number.
Players should definitely try to get paid again if a coach leaves. End of season---pay me or I'm portalling. Coach leaves and portal window opens again---pay me again or I'm portalling. Guys can get an additional payday with an additional portal window.

Whole team kinda stinks tbh.

I admit I'm worried. About a month ago, I really liked what we were doing in the portal. But I also assumed we would address the two elephants chilling in the living room: Quarterback for this year and another DT. We have addressed neither, unless Holstein is a hell of a lot better at this very second than I think he is. Yarnell might be okay, but I don't know that he'd even be a top 12 QB in the ACC from a skills standpoint, so I guess we're banking on him being some sort of genius.

Also not entirely sold on WR or CB, and Matlack (who I thought was a great pickup and still might be) looked he was about half the size of Nate Temple at the podium the other day. Combine that with all these FCS hires... ehhhhh, lots of question marks. Just gotta hope to beat the two tomato cans and go .500 in the rest of the games, I guess.

They can, but they have to wait until after they graduate to enter the portal. So there will be a batch of them in late April, early May.

Well there are 5th and 6th (and 7th and 8th and one 9th) year guys out there who have already graduated. You ain't a grad transfer until you've graduated; that goes without saying. I assume we're approaching, or have surpassed, the deadline for Spring admissions at Pitt, however.

There have also been some who have entered and came over in the summer (i.e. after the second portal window).

Last edited:
the portal is rough for lineman, whether OL or DL.

you want to be WR shopping in the portal. Or RB shopping. Trench shopping can get very bottom of the barrel picking through.

the portal is rough for lineman, whether OL or DL.

you want to be WR shopping in the portal. Or RB shopping. Trench shopping can get very bottom of the barrel picking through.

We're definitely not getting anybody of impact, but I just want someone who can hold his own and eat some space at this point. Basically, like the three guys we had last year. Our run defense was becoming an lowkey problem at times, and the guys on the roster now couldn't displace the four guys in the middle last season.

I'm being more optimistic than most of you about the line. I will admit that they are young but as for most of HCPN teams, look for them to much better in the second half of the season than the first.

We heard the same thing in 2017. We had a young Amir Watts, young Keyshon Camp, young Twyman, etc. going into the season. They... weren't good. It's not that they didn't become good players; it just goes to show how difficult it is to be a good d-lineman when you're that young. Throw in an injury or two and, well, you get a converted tight end starting.

oh yeah, invest in that program and coach. so we can go 8-12 in conference (IF) they go on a run..

great idea.

That would be NIT and the equivalent of the Mayonnaise Bowl. And that's with having a bare bones payroll. It doesn't take much money to get good in basketball.

That would be NIT and the equivalent of the Mayonnaise Bowl. And that's with having a bare bones payroll. It doesn't take much money to get good in basketball.

You don't think it would all become relative and readjust itself? Like, if more teams started spending more then other teams would do the same, etc.

Whereas in football, I think the spending is closer to being "maxed out."

And we are spending good money on some dudes to go 6-6 at best. Spend it on basketball
A guaranteed way to tank the athletic department is to quit spending on football.

It's always brought more revenue and more profit, even when BB was good and FB stunk. That's just the way it is.

Reactions: cashisking884
A guaranteed way to tank the athletic department is to quit spending on football.

It's always brought more revenue and more profit, even when BB was good and FB stunk. That's just the way it is.

I'd rather be UConn. Tanking football has done wonders for their hoops.

I don't know how good these DL transfers are going to be, but Ojiegbe definitely looks the part for only being a red shirt freshman....

Maybe a tackle from BC jumps into the portal and Pitt can grab him. One guy, Rooks, Pitt recruited hard and he went to Michigan first and is a projected starter.

Watched Peak's morning podcast for the first time in a while today. He mentioned how small these guys are. Funny - I was walking out behind Donald at the basketball game a few weeks ago and I thought the same. Goodness gracious - if we don't get a big dude to plug space, we could be wading deep in it.

Watched Peak's morning podcast for the first time in a while today. He mentioned how small these guys are. Funny - I was walking out behind Donald at the basketball game a few weeks ago and I thought the same. Goodness gracious - if we don't get a big dude to plug space, we could be wading deep in it.
When he says small, he was referring to height not weight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT