ADVERTISEMENT

Weirdest preseason poll ever?

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
So there's an article on the Pitt web site that says that Pitt was finished to pick tied for 6th in the preseason gymnastics poll, and that they got one first place vote. Well that's kind of odd, the team picked to finish tied for 6th got a first place vote. Then I looked at the whole poll.

1. North Carolina – 48 points (one first-place vote)
2(t). NC State – 46 points (one first-place vote)
2(t). Temple – 46 points (one first-place vote)
4. Towson 43 – points (one first-place vote)
5. George Washington – 42 points (two first-place vote)
6(t). Pittsburgh 25 – points (one first-place vote)
6(t). New Hampshire 25 – points (one first-place vote)
8. LIU 13 points

Six of the eight teams in the league got one first place vote and one of them got all of two. And the one that got the most first place votes finished in 5th in the poll. I don't think I've ever seen a poll like that.

BTW, other than that first place vote Pitt (and New Hampshire) got a lot of sixth and seventh and a few eighth place votes. It seems weird that there is such a disparity there, especially if as is typical in these polls a coach is not allowed to vote for their own school.

So there's an article on the Pitt web site that says that Pitt was finished to pick tied for 6th in the preseason gymnastics poll, and that they got one first place vote. Well that's kind of odd, the team picked to finish tied for 6th got a first place vote. Then I looked at the whole poll.

1. North Carolina – 48 points (one first-place vote)
2(t). NC State – 46 points (one first-place vote)
2(t). Temple – 46 points (one first-place vote)
4. Towson 43 – points (one first-place vote)
5. George Washington – 42 points (two first-place vote)
6(t). Pittsburgh 25 – points (one first-place vote)
6(t). New Hampshire 25 – points (one first-place vote)
8. LIU 13 points

Six of the eight teams in the league got one first place vote and one of them got all of two. And the one that got the most first place votes finished in 5th in the poll. I don't think I've ever seen a poll like that.

BTW, other than that first place vote Pitt (and New Hampshire) got a lot of sixth and seventh and a few eighth place votes. It seems weird that there is such a disparity there, especially if as is typical in these polls a coach is not allowed to vote for their own school.
I really can't imagine there is alot of truly informed opinions in voting for women's gymnastics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT