ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to College Football, Al-Jazeera!

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
You knew it was only a matter of time before Al-Jazeera grabbed a piece of that college football action. beIN Sports, its American-based cable channel that focuses on soccer and sports of international (mostly European) interest has bought a piece of Conference USA's TV package. It will air 10 football games, 10 basketball games, and a bunch of Olympic sports.

beIN Sports most valuable property right now is LaLiga so yes, if you've been longing for a Barcelona/Pitt Doubleheader, you may get your wish when Pitt travels to Marshall in 2020.

The sad news for CUSA is they became the first conference in history to see its TV deal worsen. They went from getting about $1 million per team to around $200,000 per team. This is mostly due to the conference being the hardest hit by conference expansion. Under the old deal, they had East Carolina, Central Florida, Memphis, Tulane, SMU, Houston, and Tulsa. They backfilled with Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Florida Internatonal, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, and Texas-San Antonio So, the conference lost a ton of value in both football and basketball.

If you are still reading this post, you really are a diehard college sports fan so I will continue. CUSA's deal is pretty unique in that in involves a lot of different parties:

- ESPN: 5 games plus the conference championship game. Also any game that is not picked up by other networks falls to ESPN3

- CBS Sports Network: 5 football games, 5 basketball games, and bball tournament

- American Sports Network (which isn't a traditional network, its a syndicator like Raycom): at least 15 football games

- beinSports: 10 football, 10 basketball, and Olympic sports

So, if you do the math real quick, that means in the entire season, there may be as few as 35 CUSA games on TV, which is about 2 per week. I know the league sucks but with a million networks out there televising live sports, its hard to believe they couldn't get a lot more games televised than that. Makes me wonder if all those 1-AA schools who moved up to CUSA are 2nd guessing those decisions.

C-USA isn't what it once was. C-USA and the Sun Belt really need to "merge" and split into 2 geographic conferences (east and west). Both conferences span from West Texas to North Carolina.

App State vs Charlotte and Texas State vs. UTEP make more sense than App State vs. Texas State and UTEP vs. Charlotte! There are many other examples.

C-USA isn't what it once was. C-USA and the Sun Belt really need to "merge" and split into 2 geographic conferences (east and west). Both conferences span from West Texas to North Carolina.

App State vs Charlotte and Texas State vs. UTEP make more sense than App State vs. Texas State and UTEP vs. Charlotte! There are many other examples.

Nobody cares either way.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Nobody cares either way.

Charlotte will get a lot more fans for a home game versus App State, as opposed to UTEP. Ditto for Texas State hosting UTEP instead of App State.

Yes, the national TV contract will stink regardless. All the more-reason to maximize $$$ from ticket sales by playing regional schools vs. schools that are 1000+ miles away.

Charlotte will get a lot more fans for a home game versus App State, as opposed to UTEP. Ditto for Texas State hosting UTEP instead of App State.

Yes, the national TV contract will stink regardless. All the more-reason to maximize $$$ from ticket sales by playing regional schools vs. schools that are 1000+ miles away.
"A lot more"? How many more? Like 1000 people? Tops?

You knew it was only a matter of time before Al-Jazeera grabbed a piece of that college football action. beIN Sports, its American-based cable channel that focuses on soccer and sports of international (mostly European) interest has bought a piece of Conference USA's TV package. It will air 10 football games, 10 basketball games, and a bunch of Olympic sports.

beIN Sports most valuable property right now is LaLiga so yes, if you've been longing for a Barcelona/Pitt Doubleheader, you may get your wish when Pitt travels to Marshall in 2020.

The sad news for CUSA is they became the first conference in history to see its TV deal worsen. They went from getting about $1 million per team to around $200,000 per team. This is mostly due to the conference being the hardest hit by conference expansion. Under the old deal, they had East Carolina, Central Florida, Memphis, Tulane, SMU, Houston, and Tulsa. They backfilled with Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Florida Internatonal, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, and Texas-San Antonio So, the conference lost a ton of value in both football and basketball.

If you are still reading this post, you really are a diehard college sports fan so I will continue. CUSA's deal is pretty unique in that in involves a lot of different parties:

- ESPN: 5 games plus the conference championship game. Also any game that is not picked up by other networks falls to ESPN3

- CBS Sports Network: 5 football games, 5 basketball games, and bball tournament

- American Sports Network (which isn't a traditional network, its a syndicator like Raycom): at least 15 football games

- beinSports: 10 football, 10 basketball, and Olympic sports

So, if you do the math real quick, that means in the entire season, there may be as few as 35 CUSA games on TV, which is about 2 per week. I know the league sucks but with a million networks out there televising live sports, its hard to believe they couldn't get a lot more games televised than that. Makes me wonder if all those 1-AA schools who moved up to CUSA are 2nd guessing those decisions.
Will they show reruns of "John Goldfarb Please Come Home" ???

Norte Dames finest hour.

The Saudis should spend a trillion dollars and build a University in the USA, finance NIL deals and try to win the college football and basketball, maybe call it Mecca University?

This is from 7 years ago? It was on the first page of posts near the top, as if it was just posted? I didn't check the date.

Its part of my paid ad posts, that's why. Seriously though, your Saudi American university idea is excellent. I would love nothing more than Mecca U winning the CFP. FIFA is allowing their government to buy soccer players to play in front of crowds of 500, 600 people (no exaggeration) so I dont see why the NCAA would be against them buying a university and entering a team. I'd also like to see Elon Musk by Elon and win it all. College athletics are such a joke, I want it to be even funnier. How bout Trump U? They were shut down though but I'd be for that as well though they'd be on probation pretty quick.

Its part of my paid ad posts, that's why. Seriously though, your Saudi American university idea is excellent. I would love nothing more than Mecca U winning the CFP. FIFA is allowing their government to buy soccer players to play in front of crowds of 500, 600 people (no exaggeration) so I dont see why the NCAA would be against them buying a university and entering a team. I'd also like to see Elon Musk by Elon and win it all. College athletics are such a joke, I want it to be even funnier. How bout Trump U? They were shut down though but I'd be for that as well though they'd be on probation pretty quick.
Trump U would be great! Just have a couple dozen students studying for a real estate license as a front and a stadium and funds raising money for NIL, finance it all through a political super PAC! Hire the coach from Bishop Sycamore, he knows how to put together a football program for a fake school.

Trump U would be great! Just have a couple dozen students studying for a real estate license as a front and a stadium and funds raising money for NIL, finance it all through a political super PAC! Hire the coach from Bishop Sycamore, he knows how to put together a football program for a fake school.

I am excited just thinking about that. If the Bishop Sycamore coach is on TV coaching Trump U, there's no chance I'm not watching that. If Trump U plays at Penn State, I'd go and buy a MAGA hat and camo freedom, family, faith, firearms shirt, grow a long beard and wear jorts.

• Haha
Reactions: jctrack and Pitt79
I am excited just thinking about that. If the Bishop Sycamore coach is on TV coaching Trump U, there's no chance I'm not watching that
If they played Colorado and Coach Prime, that would probably break all TV college football ratings records, probably beat out Super Bowls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT