ADVERTISEMENT

Well, Vader got 1 right RE: Meleek

If we have to chose between 1.8 million to keep our talented guards for two or three years vs. Meleek for one, I hope we keep our guards.

Yea but Bub is gone. Lowe is going to cost a few hundred thousand so in theory, there should be enough to pay Thomas. You cant have a pay for play salary fund and then lose a kid who goes to every Pitt game to Indiana or Auburn because they pay more. If he wants to go to Kentucky, fine.

Why would Cuban, even if he wasn’t an Indiana grad, put up money so he can come to Pitt? I get he’s from Pittsburgh but people keep throwing his name around and I have no clue why.

He went to Pitt for one year before he transferred to Indiana, so it's some people's wet dream that he somehow all of the sudden decides he's a huge Pitt sports fan.

Reactions: TitoBeagle
He went to Pitt for one year before he transferred to Indiana, so it's some people's wet dream that he somehow all of the sudden decides he's a huge Pitt sports fan.

I remember him sitting courtside for a game in very early Dixon 1. Gavin Grant was making his official visit. Im thinking. NYC kid, electric atmosphere, Pitt is Top 5, Cuban chatting him up, we got him. Nope. NC State of course. He ended up not being real good anyway.

And what are you gonna do? Withhold the money you don't have or aren't donating anyway?

I've told you how many times how simple it is to donate to A412 for BB only. But, you just want to tell other people where their donations should be spent.

Actions not words.
I hear Western Paych has a ton of monopoly money

• Haha
Reactions: pittbb80
And what are you gonna do? Withhold the money you don't have or aren't donating anyway?

I've told you how many times how simple it is to donate to A412 for BB only. But, you just want to tell other people where their donations should be spent.

Actions not words.

I'm not telling anyone where their donations should be spent. If you donate specifically to football then that's where it should go. I'm saying that for money in the general fund, which I am sure is most of it as even I do not specify where my money is going, it should be going to several basketball players before it gets spent on mediocre football players. In bball, you only need about 3 difference makers.

Yea but Bub is gone. Lowe is going to cost a few hundred thousand so in theory, there should be enough to pay Thomas. You cant have a pay for play salary fund and then lose a kid who goes to every Pitt game to Indiana or Auburn because they pay more. If he wants to go to Kentucky, fine.
I think paying maleek will cost a lot more than retaining Bub. I don’t know this but I am guessing. It’s not one for one.

I'm not telling anyone where their donations should be spent. If you donate specifically to football then that's where it should go. I'm saying that for money in the general fund, which I am sure is most of it as even I do not specify where my money is going, it should be going to several basketball players before it gets spent on mediocre football players. In bball, you only need about 3 difference makers.
Nobody is stopping you from donating more.

But good to see you’ve already got your next excuse lined up to not support Alliance412!

Those with actual skin in the game dictate where the money goes. You simply post nonsense on a message board.

Actions not words.

Let’s not forget the invested in broadcast.com (where he made his billions) because he wanted to listen to Indiana hoops games.

Pitt had a player around 1975, Melvin Bennett, he was very highly rated, w/be a 5 star today. He played one year and was drafter by the Virginia Cavs, I believe. Clancy w/be a high 4 star in todays world, Billy Kight a 5 star
Mel Bennett could’ve have been the most exciting freshman athletically that I ever saw play at Pitt .

I don't know any other billionaires who have sat in the Zoo with a Zoo tshirt cheering Pitt on.
Cuban is a poser. Was supposed to buy the Pirates, supposed to buy the O.

Instead he tried to buy the Cubs and did nothing with the O. Dude is a total poseur who got lucky he didn’t sell radio.com for 50 million like he wanted to because it worth 6 billion the next year

Instead he tried to buy the Cubs and did nothing with the O. Dude is a total poseur who got lucky he didn’t sell radio.com for 50 million like he wanted to because it worth 6 billion the next year
Yeah , he’s lucky ……billionaires aren’t billionaires because they’re lucky !

I have been waiting for him to buy an MLS team and build a joint MLS/Pitt stadium.

I have been waiting for him to buy an MLS team and build a joint MLS/Pitt stadium.
Keep waiting

281970475b0da6203a3dbc15ee95cefb.jpg

Supposed to buy the Pirates? He would buy them tomorrow, if he could. They aren't for sale.

Everything is for sale. He won’t buy them because they aren’t profitable if you try to win. That’s why he’s a blowhard
Cuban wanted to buy the Penguins in the early 2000s but he was considered too risky as a buyer. He then bought the Mavs and the rest is history.

We'll see about Bub but Lowe and Leggett are key to this team. Thomas is a one and done lottery picket, spending that much money on a one year rental doesn't make sense for Pitt. We won't be Kentucky but there is a lot to learn from Houston, who start three seniors and two juniors with a sophomore and junior first off the bench. They have three top 100 recruits (all between 50 and 100), only one really plays.

We'll see about Bub but Lowe and Leggett are key to this team. Thomas is a one and done lottery picket, spending that much money on a one year rental doesn't make sense for Pitt. We won't be Kentucky but there is a lot to learn from Houston, who start three seniors and two juniors with a sophomore and junior first off the bench. They have three top 100 recruits (all between 50 and 100), only one really plays.

I agree with all of this in that spend the money wisely and not go all in on Thomas. Be competitive to some degree, but not some insane amount of money if it comes to that. There is a lot of talent out there that will be multi year type talent that will win you a lot of games.

We are right there to getting a major guard in Derek Dixon that is going to be a complete stud in college. And as it stands today, Dixon is going to very likely choose between these 3 schools in order of who leads right now. And yes, Pitt leads to get Derek Dixon right now.

1) Pitt
2) Virginia
3) Syracuse

Reactions: jctrack

99 times out of 100 you'd be right that it doesn't make sense for Pitt. Breaking the bank for Robby Carmody or Ethan Morton doesn't make sense. Meleek is that exception, though. He is a brilliant talent & good kid, also.

Bub going 1 & Done followed by Meleek doing it would be huge for Capel's recruiting. Meleek only being around a year isn't bad, because that means it's a 1 time expense. Also, Capel has proven he knows how to identify guards. His problem has been keeping them.

This is Terrelle Pryor leading us to the Rose Bowl vs Bill Stull taking us to the Sun Bowl. The difference being Pitt actually has Meleek's attention. And in basketball you only need one year.

You know what I learned from Houston? That they let Jaland Lowe get away. That's not something I necessarily want to replicate with Meleek.

Last edited:
99 times out of 100 you'd be right that it doesn't make sense for Pitt. Breaking the bank for Robby Carmody or Ethan Morton doesn't make sense. Meleek is that exception, though. He is a brilliant talent & good kid, also.

Bub going 1 & Done followed by Meleek doing it would be huge for Capel's recruiting. Meleek only being around year isn't bad, because that means it's a 1 time expense. Also, Capel has proven he knows how to identify guards. His problem has been keeping them.

This is Terrelle Pryor leading us to the Rose Bowl vs Bill Stull taking us to the Sun Bowl. The difference being Pitt actually has Meleek's attention. And in basketball you only need one year.

You know what I learned from Houston? That they let Jaland Lowe get away. That's not something I necessarily want to replicate with Meleek.

Meleek is at every Pitt game. But Cal wants him bad. Flew up to Beaver County to watch him personally this season. My gut feeling is if we can match, he'll come here.

Meleek is at every Pitt game. But Cal wants him bad. Flew up to Beaver County to watch him personally this season. My gut feeling is if we can match, he'll come here.

I'm optimistic, as well. The Kentucky/Calipari relationship seems contentious. 10 years ago, I'd have been more concerned about Calipari. Pair that with Brandin joining and other local connections (seems like he's tight with Damar Hamlin). Seems like he's looking for a reason to go to Pitt - up to Pitt to give it to him.

This is not Ethan Morton, this is Billy Knight. You do whatever it takes to get him, knowing it's a one time expense and come January, you have the best player on the court in most situations you'll encounter going forward.

Bub had 18 scouts' eyeballs on him as recently as March 4th. Yahoo has him going 20th. NBADraft.net has him going 5th in their March 11th updated Mock. I don't expect him to go 5th, but he's 100% gone. NIL expenses dodged. Blake's out of eligibility (& his NIL $ is coming off the books). Do people understand how much production that'll be in need of replacing with Blake's NIL $ coming off the books & Bub's being dodged?

You pair Meleek with Lowe, Brandin, hopefully Leggett (I love him, I hope he stays), and Kante and make a run people will be talking about for the next 20 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I'm optimistic, as well. The Kentucky/Calipari relationship seems contentious. 10 years ago, I'd have been more concerned about Calipari. Pair that with Brandin joining and other local connections (seems like he's tight with Damar Hamlin). Seems like he's looking for a reason to go to Pitt - up to Pitt to give it to him.

This is not Ethan Morton, this is Billy Knight. You do whatever it takes to get him, knowing it's a one time expense and come January, you have the best player on the court in most situations you'll encounter going forward.

Bub had 18 scouts' eyeballs on him as recently as March 4th. Yahoo has him going 20th. NBADraft.net has him going 5th in their March 11th updated Mock. I don't expect him to go 5th, but he's 100% gone. NIL expenses dodged. Blake's out of eligibility (& his NIL $ is coming off the books). Do people understand how much production that'll be in need of replacing with Blake's NIL $ coming off the books & Bub's being dodged?

You pair Meleek with Lowe, Brandin, hopefully Leggett (I love him, I hope he stays), and Kante and make a run people will be talking about for the next 20 years.
You make a good pitch, and have me wavering. But Billy Knight played for three years, not one. And it's possible the price of Meleek is so high that you don't keep some combination of Lowe, Leggett, Kante anymore and suddenly you have a .500 team with its best player leaving immediately. We don't have enough data to say.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT