ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the deal with soon to be announced PSU football rape scandal?

I haven't heard anything but if there is indeed some announcement coming up, my guess is it would be that gang rape a few years ago that was posted online and somebody tried to extort the player. PSU covered this up, naturally, and we never heard from the woman who was raped so maybe that woman is finally coming forward.

Seems kind of speculative to suggest that's a "rape scandal" unless the OP has something they'd like to share.
I think it’s speculation that will turn out to be…not really speculative. Not sure if it qualifies as a scandal per se, and it sounds like the process is proceeding above board as it should, on its own timeline that’s outside of the university or football team’s control. But it will likely be a damaging story and situation to have connected to your football program.

The OP implied something new was about ready to break. As much as I hate state penn, this thread is in the same vein as big12 bloggers stating fsu and clemson have signed on to the big 12

I haven't heard anything but if there is indeed some announcement coming up, my guess is it would be that gang rape a few years ago that was posted online and somebody tried to extort the player. PSU covered this up, naturally, and we never heard from the woman who was raped so maybe that woman is finally coming forward.
That’s not really what happened there. A guy on the team got catfished, the catfish convinced him to take naked photos of his teammates in the locker room without them knowing, and sent them to the catfish. That person then tried to extort the player with the photos. The player also sent the catfish a video of what was described as a “group sex act,” but it wasn’t ever specified that it actually involved the player or any other player, nor was there any indication that it wasn’t consensual. The federal investigation referred to the player as a “victim” of sexual extortion, which they likely wouldn’t do if they found a video of him participating in a gang rape on his phone.

That’s not really what happened there. A guy on the team got catfished, the catfish convinced him to take naked photos of his teammates in the locker room without them knowing, and sent them to the catfish. That person then tried to extort the player with the photos. The player also sent the catfish a video of what was described as a “group sex act,” but it wasn’t ever specified that it actually involved the player or any other player, nor was there any indication that it wasn’t consensual. The federal investigation referred to the player as a “victim” of sexual extortion, which they likely wouldn’t do if they found a video of him participating in a gang rape on his phone.
Only thing I'll correct is that it was reported that the "group sex act" occurred in the locker room. Whether or not that was actually the case is another story.

Not exactly true. The group sex act was several PSU players and one female. There was no indication that the act wasn't consensual but how many sober women have group sex with the football team? She was very likely drunk and not able to give consent and likely didnt know it was going to be recorded and shared on the internet. What happened here is either:

a) PSU and the authorities never made an effort to find out who the girl was to investigate whether this was consensual or rape

b) did find out who the girl was and bought her silence

Only thing I'll correct is that it was reported that the "group sex act" occurred in the locker room. Whether or not that was actually the case is another story.
Not like it really matters either way, but I was just reading an article about this to make sure. A lot of the reporting is pretty jumbled, and I don’t have access to the actual warrant.

The most specific, complete article that quotes the language of the warrant that I saw said: “The detective reported finding 33 videos and one image in the folder, including seven videos labeled “GANGBANG on white girl” that showed group sex acts between one woman and multiple men. The folder also reportedly contained 19 videos filmed inside the Penn State football locker room showing student athletes in “various stages of undress.””

That sounds to me more along the lines of a video that the kid saved to his phone (it feels odd to record your own group sex and then give it a title, but kids are dumb). And that also doesn’t indicate that the video was in the locker room. But I’d need to read the actual warrant to know either way, and I definitely don’t care enough to do all that.

Reactions: pittdan77
No specific details here.....but two players suspended. A twitter thread indicated it was rape.

I dont think these players are really counted on though so I would think that the rape will get them a season suspension. If they were very good players then it would probably be just a few games.

I honestly think PSU football should be shut down as a nuisance to the public. The rape numbers those guys put up makes you wonder if its really worth having a pro football team in the middle of nowhere where there is essentially no police presence.

Reactions: columbus mike
Not like it really matters either way, but I was just reading an article about this to make sure. A lot of the reporting is pretty jumbled, and I don’t have access to the actual warrant.

The most specific, complete article that quotes the language of the warrant that I saw said: “The detective reported finding 33 videos and one image in the folder, including seven videos labeled “GANGBANG on white girl” that showed group sex acts between one woman and multiple men. The folder also reportedly contained 19 videos filmed inside the Penn State football locker room showing student athletes in “various stages of undress.””

That sounds to me more along the lines of a video that the kid saved to his phone (it feels odd to record your own group sex and then give it a title, but kids are dumb). And that also doesn’t indicate that the video was in the locker room. But I’d need to read the actual warrant to know either way, and I definitely don’t care enough to do all that.
That sounds about right. There was also some suggestion that it was being kept very hush-hush because Micah Parsons may have been involved. It's all pretty weird but I also know that even under the "legendary" coach, there were similar stories. Guess things happen? Never happened when I played but I wasn't that cool, either.

None of this stuff matters anymore. It's pro football lite. These guys will get sent packing, and they will be replaced. It won't make any difference.

Georgia is going thru the same thing. Nobody cares.

Basically except its Penn State so probably just a season suspension.

None of this stuff matters anymore. It's pro football lite. These guys will get sent packing, and they will be replaced. It won't make any difference.

Georgia is going thru the same thing. Nobody cares.
I'm surprised that a Nit like you posing on a Pitt board would feel such a way...

• Haha
Reactions: steelcurtain55.
They are pathetic. BUT....let's also be real. Pitt fans thinking "aha, this is the final straw that will destroy that football program need to move on."

No one cares. It's only about winning and how much revenue you can generate. That's it. That's the list.

They are pathetic. BUT....let's also be real. Pitt fans thinking "aha, this is the final straw that will destroy that football program need to move on."

No one cares. It's only about winning and how much revenue you can generate. That's it. That's the list.
They would sacrifice their own children if it meant a few additional wins. They already showed this. I think a fair number of them think they didn't sacrifice enough children to get national championship results out of all of those top 10 recruiting classes.

I'm surprised that a Nit like you posing on a Pitt board would feel such a way...
I was waiting for you to reply. You are so darned predictable.

I'm starting to wonder if you, in fact, aren't the Nit troll around here. Otherwise you clearly seem to have issues.

Once again no reports about this from the lovely local Pittsburgh media. Bunch of hypocrites

Reactions: bschulter
Once again no reports about this from the lovely local Pittsburgh media. Bunch of hypocrites
There is no story. I mean, do want them to break into regularly scheduled programming? Until a story comes out, there is really nothing to report. You guys will say if it is....Pitt......well okay, Pitt is the local team. No one knows these kids names nor cares. Like I said, now if a story comes out like we are hearing, then we can revisit this.

There is no story. I mean, do want them to break into regularly scheduled programming? Until a story comes out, there is really nothing to report. You guys will say if it is....Pitt......well okay, Pitt is the local team. No one knows these kids names nor cares. Like I said, now if a story comes out like we are hearing, then we can revisit this.

There is no police report anywhere? Usually when there is a rape, there is.....um....a police report.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

National media doesn't care. They think the NCAA is the villain and the only thing they think Michigan did wrong was get caught. I mean your head coach gets suspended for cheating in the same season that the teams wins championship and no one even remembers that.

Local media cares even less. Between the PSU and/or Big 10 fanboys, if something bad happens they don't cover it and bury to the last page with just a wire service story.

It’s a double standard. The Pittsburgh media only reports positive news regarding Ped St.

National media doesn't care. They think the NCAA is the villain and the only thing they think Michigan did wrong was get caught. I mean your head coach gets suspended for cheating in the same season that the teams wins championship and no one even remembers that.

Local media cares even less. Between the PSU and/or Big 10 fanboys, if something bad happens they don't cover it and bury to the last page with just a wire service story.
Harbaugh was actually suspended twice last season.

There is no police report anywhere? Usually when there is a rape, there is.....um....a police report.
There is an entry on the Penn State police blotter that would appear to line up with the timeline for the incident in question from early July. Penn State also sent out a campus-wide alert when it was reported, as they’re mandated to do when those sorts of crimes are reported in on-campus housing. To the extent that a police report has been generated, that’s something that wouldn’t be accessible until charges are filed. When charges are filed, people will be able to access the police report with the details. But until charges are filed, it’s in the “ongoing investigation” category and the police or DA won’t give any more details than that.

We knew which basketball player was going after other player's girlfriends at Pitt because of the local rumor mill. There isn't such a thing up there.

Its the North Korea of the NCAA.

Its geography is perfect for cover-ups:

1. Too far from major media centers for those outlets to report

2. The university and the town are one and the same. Everyone in State College either works at PSU or has some affiliation with the school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT