ADVERTISEMENT

What are your expectations for Pitt this year? What Bowl game? Playoffs?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
What are your expectations for Pitt this year? Playoffs? Which bowl game?

Below are the bowl games with ACC tie-ins minus the playoff bowl games:

Bowl GameMatchupGame DateTime (ET)Network
Wasabi Fenway BowlACC vs. AACSat., Dec. 17, 202211 a.m. ESPN
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla BowlTBDFri., Dec. 23, 2022TBD ESPN
TicketSmarter Birmingham BowlTBDTues., Dec. 27, 20223:15 p.m. or 6:45 p.m. ESPN
Military Bowl Presented by PeratonACC vs. AACWed., Dec. 28, 20222 p.m ESPN
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday BowlACC vs. Pac-12Wed., Dec. 28, 20228 p.m. FOX
Pinstripe BowlACC vs. Big TenThurs., Dec. 29, 20222 p.m. ESPN
Cheez-It BowlACC vs. Big 12Thurs. Dec. 29, 20225:30 p.m. ESPN
Duke’s Mayo BowlACC vs. Big TenFri., Dec. 30, 2022Noon ESPN
Tony the Tiger Sun BowlACC vs. Pac-12Fri., Dec. 30, 20222 p.m. CBS
TaxSlayer Gator BowlACC vs. SECFri., Dec. 30, 20223:30 p.m. ESPN
Capital One Orange BowlACC vs. SEC, Big Ten or Notre DameFri., Dec. 30, 20227:30 or 8 p.m. ESPN
ReliaQuest Bowl*ACC/Big Ten vs. SECMon., Jan. 2, 2023Noon ESPN2
Goodyear Cotton BowlAt-Large vs. At-LargeMon., Jan. 2, 20231 p.m. ESPN

Last year Pitt fans watched a 1st round QB have the best season in Pitt’s history.

It will be a miracle if Slovis or Patti comes close to having the season like Pickett had last year. Yet, we were extremely lucky to beat UNC, Tennessee, Virginia.

My guess is 7-5 to 8-4

If we don’t get elite QB play. We don’t recruit well enough to win 10 or more games.

If Cignetti can get one of the two QB’s to play at a elite level. We can make noise back to back years

Last year Pitt fans watched a 1st round QB have the best season in Pitt’s history.

It will be a miracle if Slovis or Patti comes close to having the season like Pickett had last year. Yet, we were extremely lucky to beat UNC, Tennessee, Virginia.

My guess is 7-5 to 8-4

If we don’t get elite QB play. We don’t recruit well enough to win 10 or more games.

If Cignetti can get one of the two QB’s to play at a elite level. We can make noise back to back years

This is probably closer to the truth. Miami is a loss. Split UT and WVU.

Then maybe lose 2 out of 3 to Louisville, UNC, Virginia. That brings it to 8-4

So with some luck and great QB play, my original prediction of 9-3 and Coastal champs.

But the more I think about it this scenario of 8-4 is more realistic

12 - 0. There’s not a team on the schedule that Pitt should’t beat.

Jan. 1 bowl, or playoffs.
Try 13-0 heading into playoffs. WVU is close at first because pitt QBs have to adjust not running to the sideline to get the playcall, but after halftime adjustments, we steamroll everyone on the schedule.

I can’t make any meaningful prediction until I see our QB play, whichever one wins out (likely Slovis). The rest of the team gives hope for optimism. But if Slovis is more Max Browne then Nate Peterman (and if Patti has no ceiling higher than his limited play has shown), we’ll be in our typical .500 range…but if the QB is even just solid, the team is capable of 9-10 wins. Not to be wishy washy but we know all too well that the QB position is just too important in this sport.

Reactions: Section 509
I can’t make any meaningful prediction until I see our QB play, whichever one wins out (likely Slovis). The rest of the team gives hope for optimism. But if Slovis is more Max Browne then Nate Peterman (and if Patti has no ceiling higher than his limited play has shown), we’ll be in our typical .500 range…but if the QB is even just solid, the team is capable of 9-10 wins. Not to be wishy washy but we know all too well that the QB position is just too important in this sport.
Big difference between Slovis and Max Browne. Browne never showed all that much in relatively limited action before he came to Pitt, while Slovis is pretty much a proven commodity. His health is the big concern.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Wasabi Fenway BowlACC vs. AACSat., Dec. 17, 202211 a.m.ESPN
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla BowlTBDFri., Dec. 23, 2022TBDESPN
TicketSmarter Birmingham BowlTBDTues., Dec. 27, 20223:15 p.m. or 6:45 p.m.ESPN
Military Bowl Presented by PeratonACC vs. AACWed., Dec. 28, 20222 p.mESPN
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday BowlACC vs. Pac-12Wed., Dec. 28, 20228 p.m.FOX
Pinstripe BowlACC vs. Big TenThurs., Dec. 29, 20222 p.m.ESPN
Cheez-It BowlACC vs. Big 12Thurs. Dec. 29, 20225:30 p.m.ESPN
Duke’s Mayo BowlACC vs. Big TenFri., Dec. 30, 2022NoonESPN
Tony the Tiger Sun BowlACC vs. Pac-12Fri., Dec. 30, 20222 p.m.CBS
TaxSlayer Gator BowlACC vs. SECFri., Dec. 30, 20223:30 p.m.ESPN
Capital One Orange BowlACC vs. SEC, Big Ten or Notre DameFri., Dec. 30, 20227:30 or 8 p.m.ESPN
ReliaQuest Bowl*ACC/Big Ten vs. SECMon., Jan. 2, 2023NoonESPN2
Goodyear Cotton BowlAt-Large vs. At-LargeMon., Jan. 2, 20231 p.m.ESPN
Expectations: win Coastal. 10-2. Anything less is a disappointment. As for the bowl game, that is mostly based on fan travel, so I don't have an expectation for that exhibition game

Last year I said boom or bust, either a really bad season or a really good one. This year, I’ll say somewhere in between and go with anywhere from 7-9 wins. I think we finish second in the Coastal Division behind Miami. I’d love to be proven wrong.

My guess is 7-5 to 8-4

Spot on assessment IMO. We had a generational QB and a Biletnickoff winner who absolutely dominated. One aspect of Pickett's game that is under appreciated is his ability to scramble and complete passes on the run. He was phenominal. Patti has some wheels but we don't know about Slovis. Another aspect of our game that's overlooked is our O line. We were pretty average in pass protection, but Pickett's mobility bailed us out. Will the O line improve with everyone back??? Maybe. Defensively, we need to get much better in the secondary, Teams that were able to protect their QB (or who had a very mobile QB) found open receivers regularly. I re-watched the Pitt/UVa game a few nights ago and Armstrong absolutely ripped us. He had open receivers the whole game. The only time we managed to stop him was when we put him on the ground. Our pass rush needs to be incredible because our coverage is not good.

All this leads me to a similar conclusion as you.... I think we're going to be more like 8-4 with losses to Tennessee, UVa, Miami and at least one other. Of course if Slovis is the second coming of Kenny Pickett maybe we get to 10 wins. I'm not betting on it.

Cruzer

Last edited:
Reactions: sherepower

Wasabi Fenway BowlACC vs. AACSat., Dec. 17, 202211 a.m.ESPN
Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla BowlTBDFri., Dec. 23, 2022TBDESPN
TicketSmarter Birmingham BowlTBDTues., Dec. 27, 20223:15 p.m. or 6:45 p.m.ESPN
Military Bowl Presented by PeratonACC vs. AACWed., Dec. 28, 20222 p.mESPN
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday BowlACC vs. Pac-12Wed., Dec. 28, 20228 p.m.FOX
Pinstripe BowlACC vs. Big TenThurs., Dec. 29, 20222 p.m.ESPN
Cheez-It BowlACC vs. Big 12Thurs. Dec. 29, 20225:30 p.m.ESPN
Duke’s Mayo BowlACC vs. Big TenFri., Dec. 30, 2022NoonESPN
Tony the Tiger Sun BowlACC vs. Pac-12Fri., Dec. 30, 20222 p.m.CBS
TaxSlayer Gator BowlACC vs. SECFri., Dec. 30, 20223:30 p.m.ESPN
Capital One Orange BowlACC vs. SEC, Big Ten or Notre DameFri., Dec. 30, 20227:30 or 8 p.m.ESPN
ReliaQuest Bowl*ACC/Big Ten vs. SECMon., Jan. 2, 2023NoonESPN2
Goodyear Cotton BowlAt-Large vs. At-LargeMon., Jan. 2, 20231 p.m.ESPN
None of the above...Having lightened their load by losing two stars who left their teammates prior to fulfilling their time at Pitt for choosing personal financial security over loyalty the Panthers come together and win it all...

Big difference between Slovis and Max Browne. Browne never showed all that much in relatively limited action before he came to Pitt, while Slovis is pretty much a proven commodity. His health is the big concern.

A lot of USC fans seem to think that his arm is shot and he's now a shell of himself. I'm not suggesting that they're right. Time will obviously tell. But that would suck if it's the case.

I want to see Pitt win the opener. A loss to WVU is a bad omen and probably means an 0-2 start with Tennessee here looking for payback and Pitt coming off an emotional game. If the Panthers somehow emerge 2-0, I see a very nice season shaping up.

I want to see Pitt win the opener. A loss to WVU is a bad omen and probably means an 0-2 start with Tennessee here looking for payback and Pitt coming off an emotional game. If the Panthers somehow emerge 2-0, I see a very nice season shaping up.
Yep. I don’t know that our coaches or players can truly appreciate the psycho hatred that WVU builds up for these matchups, and multiply the angst in this one by the number of years they’ve been forced to wait. It’s truly the only important thing in the lives of just about everyone in that state, as well as all their alumni. Duz needs to have these guys (and himself) razor-edge focused. No looking ahead to Tenn. We can’t be lax, neither in the prep nor especially in the game, based on the holes in the WVU roster and their relatively poor projections for the season. WVU will consider this season a resounding success if this is the only one they win.

Yep. I don’t know that our coaches or players can truly appreciate the psycho hatred that WVU builds up for these matchups, and multiply the angst in this one by the number of years they’ve been forced to wait. It’s truly the only important thing in the lives of just about everyone in that state, as well as all their alumni. Duz needs to have these guys (and himself) razor-edge focused. No looking ahead to Tenn. We can’t be lax, neither in the prep nor especially in the game, based on the holes in the WVU roster and their relatively poor projections for the season. WVU will consider this season a resounding success if this is the only one they win.
Narduzzi clearly knows how to prepare for a rivalry game.
He had the team locked in 2016 vs PSU and really played well in 2019 on the road. All the games Pitt has a seriously less talented roster than PSU.

Kenny's biggest contribution was turning this program back into winners. That culture will hopefully pay dividends far beyond what could've been gained by him playing in the bowl game.
It's now onto this year's seniors to carry that forward and make it part of Pitt's identity. This type of culture doesn't get built overnight, but can fall apart very quickly if not tended to.

Amen. Thinking the long game, the winner has some bragging rights in the "Who Is Better in the Best of the Rest" Sweepstakes for conference shuffling. We can laugh at WVU all we want about various academic metrics and such, but having the better football program is just as important, IMO. A Pitt win tells me that the Panthers have learned from their success, and how to sustain it.

Amen. Thinking the long game, the winner has some bragging rights in the "Who Is Better in the Best of the Rest" Sweepstakes for conference shuffling. We can laugh at WVU all we want about various academic metrics and such, but having the better football program is just as important, IMO. A Pitt win tells me that the Panthers have learned from their success, and how to sustain it.
Actually I think Pitt’s problem is we (and that’s coaches, players, fans) rarely see it as nearly a big game like they do, we don’t take them seriously enough, we don’t even think of them as recruiting competitors, even when they have taken guys we want … and worse we don’t fully appreciate that THEY DO feel that way.

Actually I think Pitt’s problem is we (and that’s coaches, players, fans) rarely see it as nearly a big game like they do, we don’t take them seriously enough, we don’t even think of them as recruiting competitors, even when they have taken guys we want … and worse we don’t fully appreciate that THEY DO feel that way.
When I moved to WV in HS (early 80s) I was shocked to learn about their hatred towards Pitt.

It never occurred to me that they felt that way; It was just another game in the middle of the season to me.

I think somewhere between 8-4 and 10-2 is reasonable. I agree that having so much depth and experience at OL and DL is I think still overlooked. To say the OL had trouble pass blocking last year is unfair. It's hard to be dominate in that area (or run blocking) when 90% of your play calls (especial early in games) are pass plays out of the shotgun. I really think a more balanced play call this year will compensate for losing Pickett and Addison. And the defense is going to be awesome again.

Remember how worried we all were when Shady left? And that next year after him was the best year we had until last year since the early 80s.

Well, plain vanilla scrimmage or not, the spring game did not even hint at any offensive potential remotely close to last season--very concerning, IMHO, in this era of high output offenses.

This is probably closer to the truth. Miami is a loss. Split UT and WVU.

Then maybe lose 2 out of 3 to Louisville, UNC, Virginia. That brings it to 8-4

So with some luck and great QB play, my original prediction of 9-3 and Coastal champs.

But the more I think about it this scenario of 8-4 is more realistic
I'm thinking the same, but a loss to Miami might be the deciding game for Coastal Championship.

Hoping for the Gator Bowl if no Big Bowl , has a good time slot.
Want to play and beat an SEC team.
Last time was 1980, I don't think they like them the Panthers too much.

Pitt has been fixated on Penn State for too long. Here we have a worthy rival right next door, spilling with venom. We need to reciprocate and beat those coonskins to hell and back. Just because. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT