ADVERTISEMENT

What is the most important quality in a HC?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
If you are Pitt and you are looking for a HC, what is the most important quality?

- beating good programs for sought-after players (lets leave out blue bloods here)

- having a good eye for diamonds in the rough

- player development

- hiring of good assistants

- gameday coaching

- game planning, practice planning, staff development

- discipline/character building

- team GPA

If you ask me, if I could pick 1 thing in a HC at Pitt, it would be to recruit well on paper. Top 25 recruiting classes fairly consistently, getting 1 or 2 out of every 3 major local recruits and beating schools like the Carolinas, Virginias, Marylands, and WVU for the high 3 star/4 star recruits in the mid-atlantic and FL. Most importantly, we need better talent and we need a coach who is going to get that talent. If he cannot beat such schools for players, he better be one heck of a coach, player developer, and have a great staff, or employ some type of system to level the playing field

Adaptability, this is one area in which Pitt coaches struggle. Walt was more flexible than the others but Wanny, Chryst and Narduzzi struggle in that regard. In fairness, I think Chryst was extremely hampered in this regard because of SPs incompetence. Cryst would probably have been a hell of a coach here if he had the same resources that he does at UW.

If you are Pitt and you are looking for a HC, what is the most important quality?

- beating good programs for sought-after players (lets leave out blue bloods here)

- player development

- gameday coaching

- team GPA

If you ask me, if I could pick 1 thing in a HC at Pitt, it would be to recruit well on paper. Top 25 recruiting classes fairly consistently, getting 1 or 2 out of every 3 major local recruits and beating schools like the Carolinas, Virginias, Marylands, and WVU for the high 3 star/4 star recruits in the mid-atlantic and FL. Most importantly, we need better talent and we need a coach who is going to get that talent. If he cannot beat such schools for players, he better be one heck of a coach, player developer, and have a great staff, or employ some type of system to level the playing field
All of the Above. Foge brought in a lot of talent, but wasn’t a good head coach.

Reactions: sherepower
Hard to win with just one major quality. Who can do that, especially at Pitt?

That said, if you combine two or three, you can imagine how they compliment each other well.

- player development

- gameday coaching

- team GPA

All of the Above. Foge brought in a lot of talent, but wasn’t a good head coach.

If you could just guarantee yourself 1 though? Lets say a coach could have some mix of the other qualities but if you could be assured of having one of them, what would it be?

If you could just guarantee yourself 1 though? Lets say a coach could have some mix of the other qualities but if you could be assured of having one of them, what would it be?
The same quality any good leader must possess. The ability to attract highly qualified people to all work together toward the same lofty goal.

Reactions: foxchapelpanther
-A Coach that refuses to play 2 or 3 ranked non-conference teams per year which buries our team yearly with losses

-A Coach that schedules like Wisconsin and all big ten teams that piles up free wins beating garbage to build perception of a winning team and culture

-That is by far my #1. I hope the people on this message board that want to be non-conference schedule powerhouse U are enjoying the constant non-conference blowout beatdowns put on us yearly which has crippled this football team, this program, and crippled recruiting. You got what you asked for, 8 wins, 5 wins, 2 or 3 wins, maybe we should shoot for 0-12 next year and throw Bama on the schedule.

Someone who can develop talent since we are talking about Pitt. Pitt is never going to land a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits, but if we schedule properly and develop the talent we have then we could win the Coastal. Then gradually better players would want to play here because of winning.

- player development

- gameday coaching

- team GPA

1. Recruiting
2. Hiring guys that can recruit.
3. Recruiting some more.
4. Everything else.

Developing talent. There are quite a few coaches out there that recruited well, but couldn't translate that into wins. Brady Hoke at Michigan, Muschamp at Florida, and Lane Kiffin at USC come to mind. Talent doesn't always equate to wins.

Meanwhile, there are coaches that don't recruit well, but win a lot of games. Guys like Chris Peterson at UW, Gary Patterson at TCU, and Mike Gundy at OSU come to mind. They're usually top 15 teams, without top 15 talent.

I would rather go with the latter, if I had to pick.

The guy at Washington who came from Boise State falls into this category as well.

Developing talent. There are quite a few coaches out there that recruited well, but couldn't translate that into wins. Brady Hoke at Michigan, Muschamp at Florida, and Lane Kiffin at USC come to mind. Talent doesn't always equate to wins.

Meanwhile, there are coaches that don't recruit well, but win a lot of games. Guys like Chris Peterson at UW, Gary Patterson at TCU, and Mike Gundy at OSU come to mind. They're usually top 15 teams, without top 15 talent.

I would rather go with the latter, if I had to pick.

I think what is overlooked in "developing talent" is being able to get that talent to excel in the system you have them in. For example, Pitt's 2016 defense, the worst on school history, had 3 NFL DBs, Juan Price, and 2 other players who made NFL practice squads (Galambos, Jarrett). Also, Wirginis, who will at least make a practice squad, played a role. So, I would ask Narduzzi how much more talented his MSU defense was? Did they truly have more talent than a defense with 6-7 NFL players on it?

Hiring the right staff.

Being able to recruit along with everyone of your assistants.

Having a scheme both on offense and defense that brings excitement to future recruits and it’s fans.

Hiring staff equal to you or better!

Recruiting!

Getting along with the AD, having the U administration behind the football program, and a fanbase that likes the HC.

Reactions: sherepower
If your assuming that Pitt can't or won't do what's necessary to recruit far better players then they need a head coach and coordinators that runs schemes that maximizes the talents of his players and out coaches his counterparts.
Ps. PITT had one in Canada, but ..$$$$

-A Coach that refuses to play 2 or 3 ranked non-conference teams per year which buries our team yearly with losses

-A Coach that schedules like Wisconsin and all big ten teams that piles up free wins beating garbage to build perception of a winning team and culture

-That is by far my #1. I hope the people on this message board that want to be non-conference schedule powerhouse U are enjoying the constant non-conference blowout beatdowns put on us yearly which has crippled this football team, this program, and crippled recruiting. You got what you asked for, 8 wins, 5 wins, 2 or 3 wins, maybe we should shoot for 0-12 next year and throw Bama on the schedule.
LOL yes because that will make us beat the likes of UNC and Virginia Tech. Scheduling PSU ND and UCF is the reason we cant beat the powerhouses of the ACC

LOL yes because that will make us beat the likes of UNC and Virginia Tech. Scheduling PSU ND and UCF is the reason we cant beat the powerhouses of the ACC

-Have fun the rest of the season with your 2 or 3 win season with 10 fans at the games. Welcome to Rock Bottom in football. But hey, at least we got it right in basketball and we wont see 10 fans and 8 cheerleaders at the games any more because we actually did something smart and scheduled easy with a young team. I see you in the stands in the red shirt! Where's your friends at the game?

ap_heinz_field_1382215.jpg

-Have fun the rest of the season with your 2 or 3 win season with 10 fans at the games. Welcome to Rock Bottom in football. But hey, at least we got it right in basketball and we wont see 10 fans and 8 cheerleaders at the games any more because we actually did something smart and scheduled easy with a young team. I see you in the stands in the red shirt! Where's your friends at the game?

ap_heinz_field_1382215.jpg
Ok but youre saying that if pitt wants to be good, they need to schedule easier non conference opponents? I mean how would that make them better? Its one thing to not be able to beat those good teams but what does it mean when you cant even beat on of the worst P5 team in the country?

Ok but youre saying that if pitt wants to be good, they need to schedule easier non conference opponents? I mean how would that make them better? Its one thing to not be able to beat those good teams but what does it mean when you cant even beat on of the worst P5 team in the country?

1) More wins = Better recruits and perception Nationally. Worked for Boise State, Baylor, Wisconsin, TCU, etc... and literally anyone trying to build a program up

2) Easier games = far less injuries going into ACC play

3) Easier games = backup players actually get playing time and we get to experiment and practice in a live game and we can try new plays / players etc and see what works. Our team gets thrown into the lion den that hasnt been fed in 2 years after game 1.

-You know what I think of Pitt football? Let me describe Pitt football to you.

-Pitt football is the new guy that never worked out in his life at the gym then tried to attempt a 400lb bench press to look strong only to drop the weight straight on his chest and have everyone laugh at him. That's us with scheduling.

I would like a coach who if he was fortunate enough to win at Pitt won’t immediately leave for a “better” job.

Ability to teach players to go down with cramps - whether you got 'em or not. Good job for 5th year seniors. Use 'em as fodder. This is the right play this Saturday. Other teams do it.

Being able to develop players, mainly the ones we have because those are the ones we are stuck with for a while. Teach them how to be a winner then take it to the field. Put a group of coaches that want to teach together and then start winning on the field, only then will we get the good recruits. You can talk football all year long but only a handful can teach players how to execute and be were they are supposed to be during game situations.

sales

HC is a sales job

selling recruits on your program.

selling top assistants on joining your staff (maybe the most important factor)

selling players on your process and methodology to cultivate buy-in (which Duuzi unfortunately does not have with current team).

selling administration and, separately, boosters and donors on the long term vision for max investment.

sales

sales

HC is a sales job

selling recruits on your program.

selling top assistants on joining your staff (maybe the most important factor)

selling players on your process and methodology to cultivate buy-in (which Duuzi unfortunately does not have with current team).

selling administration and, separately, boosters and donors on the long term vision for max investment.

sales
Didn’t Wanny fit that criteria?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT