ADVERTISEMENT

What's the end game here.

This notion is completely offbased. Pitino is probably sub-.500 coach without cheating. He's whole career is based off of cheating. Without cheating he's probably selling used cars decades ago.

This didn't start a few years ago- it stated before 1977 when The U of Hawaii needed to disassociate him from their program for cheating.

Bonds was a great baseball player before he was juiced, we saw that. We never saw Rick Pitino not cheating.
I generally agree with a lot of what you have to say, but I disagree here.

In my opinion there are not that many coaches that actually coach today. Most either win with superior players or just do "what we do" no matter the circumstance.

Pitino is not one of those coaches. He actually coaches. He adjusts his style to his talent. He adjusts to individual opponents. He adjusts in game and game to game. He is in a small group of coaches that still coach that way.(B,Stevens, G.Marshall, J.Beilein, etc.)

Coaching can be very important. I trust that Pitino is a good enough "coach" that he could win and win big without cheating.

Coaching can be very important. I trust that Pitino is a good enough "coach" that he could win and win big without cheating.

Two confessions upfront, I have long loathed Rick Pitino and I have never followed the NBA closely, but a quick glance at his career stats shows that Pitino had a losing record in five of his six seasons as an NBA head coach. Let's not make this guy out to be a coaching genius.

I disagree. I think if less schools cheat now, that helps Pitt greatly.

Think about it. Top recruits opt to play for Xavier, Creighton, SHU, Prov, NC State, Miami, Western Kentucky, Alabama, Penn State, etc. If schools like that have have had to cheat to get players and no longer cheat, the trickle down helps Pitt. Pitt is never going to get a Duke-level kid but for those PSU Philly kids, those are players Pitt could have gotten for example if Chambers didn't cheat (assuming he did)

We are always assuming we aren't willing to "cheat". How are we so sure?

It's more difficult to cheat in the NBA.

Two confessions upfront, I have long loathed Rick Pitino and I have never followed the NBA closely, but a quick glance at his career stats shows that Pitino had a losing record in five of his six seasons as an NBA head coach. Let's not make this guy out to be a coaching genius.

"Coaching can be very important. I trust that Pitino is a good enough "coach" that he could win and win big without cheating."

You (and everyone else) have no tangible evidence to support that opinion as he has always cheated. His legacy is that cheated everywhere he's been.

"Coaching can be very important. I trust that Pitino is a good enough "coach" that he could win and win big without cheating."

You (and everyone else) have no tangible evidence to support that opinion as he has always cheated. His legacy is that cheated everywhere he's been.

Pitino cheated. He is also as slimey as they come.

With that said, he is a great coach.
His team is often built on four year guys. They only have four players on the NBA, and they are not stars by any means.

No great coaches ever won an NCAA championships without elite talent .
You can still be a great coach who maximizes the talent he has available to him , but without elite talent your never going to win an NCAA championship .
Because you cheat in acquiring talent doesn't guarantee that you can win . ( Paul Evans was the benefactor of the talent Pitt acquired with the help of the Golden Panthers )
Some universities with great traditions of winning and placing guys in the NBA have a built in advantage and don't have to cheat to attract elite players .
When two elite powers are after the same kid with two different shoe companies involved I wonder what's the deciding factor , educational opportunities or $$$ .
Unless an elite recruit stays local this whole issue might help explain why these kids sometimes end up at a second tier school .
As the money in college sports gets bigger is it any wonder there's cheating .
With so many adults involved in the recruiting process it's no wonder it's a dirty game .
Any coach coming out as surprised or angry over these allegations is a phony , they all know what's going on and they all know who does it .

Reactions: gary2
No great coaches ever won an NCAA championships without elite talent .
You can still be a great coach who maximizes the talent he has available to him , but without elite talent your never going to win an NCAA championship .
Because you cheat in acquiring talent doesn't guarantee that you can win . ( Paul Evans was the benefactor of the talent Pitt acquired with the help of the Golden Panthers )
Some universities with great traditions of winning and placing guys in the NBA have a built in advantage and don't have to cheat to attract elite players .
When two elite powers are after the same kid with two different shoe companies involved I wonder what's the deciding factor , educational opportunities or $$$ .
Unless an elite recruit stays local this whole issue might help explain why these kids sometimes end up at a second tier school .
As the money in college sports gets bigger is it any wonder there's cheating .
With so many adults involved in the recruiting process it's no wonder it's a dirty game .
Any coach coming out as surprised or angry over these allegations is a phony , they all know what's going on and they all know who does it .
Maryland, Michigan state and a few others didn't have elite (NBA star caliber) players.

Maryland, Michigan state and a few others didn't have elite (NBA star caliber) players.

True, but they had a lot of guys that played in the league though. Took a quick look at that Maryland roster and they had 4 guys make the NBA, 2 of them who played for more than a decade.

True, but they had a lot of guys that played in the league though. Took a quick look at that Maryland roster and they had 4 guys make the NBA, 2 of them who played for more than a decade.
I get that.

You need good players -
Semantics but , good players not necessarily elite talent.

But it's a funny thing how a deep run elevates draft status.
The fact that Steve Blake hung around for a long time had to surprise even Steve Blake.

To stop PITT and Stalling from "sucking" up all the HS basketball talent in the country!

What would be "funny or choose another word" is if PITT is ID'd as one of the teams that paid money for basketball talent over the past few years?

If so that should be classified as an EPIC failure!

Last edited:

To stop PITT and Stalling from "sucking" up all the HS basketball talent in the country!

What would be "funny or choose another word" is if PITT is ID'd as one of the teams that paid money for basketball talent over the past few years?

If so that should be classified as an EPIC failure!
I doubt bags of Dave and Busters tokens will qualify.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT