ADVERTISEMENT

When should Pitt play West Virginia? First game? Last game? Other?

When in the season should Pitt play West Virginia?

• Total voters

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
If you were Pitt's Athletic Director, where in the season would you want to schedule The Backyard Brawl?
4XAkR0P.jpg

I voted the last game. Even if you have a mediocre season, you can salvage some goodwill by winning that and you can still have something to look forward to toward the end.

Of course, now guys are shutting 'er down in anticipation of the draft and transferring, so it might be a 4th string QB vs a converted safety playing QB, though I assume the offense would still run more efficiently in that scenario than it did against WVU last season.

Last edited:
I'm old school. I don't care about wvu unless we are playing them. I actually root for them. I hate state Penn. Wvu doesn't even matter to me one bit. We lost last year.....just another loss. Don't care

Well, being that somehow they cannot figure out the Pirates schedule even though it is placed well more than a year before the next college FB season, I would vote for end of the year. You would think Pitt would go to the networks and say "look, the Pirates are home that day, schedule us on the road or some FCS school, and play a home game against WVU when they are on the road"

For many years the whole country used to watch the brawl the Friday after turkey day. I'd be happy to see a return to that tradition.
Exactly, and I remember visiting family that weekend and going to that game multiple times in Pittsburgh. And I have a lot of family members and friends that are Pitt and others WVU and we always had a joint tailgate party. The best of times, I have a picture with a dozen people standing around the Art Rooney statue 8 in Pitt gear, 4 in WVU gear, miss those days.

Students need to be at the game so that Friday after Thanksgiving stinks. In the heyday of the rivalry the game was played anywhere from the 4-6th week of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT