ADVERTISEMENT

When will Pitt retire Aaron Donald and Kenny Pickett's jersey numbers?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
2PiWDMu.jpg
5DY0C9Y.jpg

Donald they should. Kenny they should not. He had 1 great year here, 1 good year, and 3 average years. Then his NFL career is not off to a great start. That is not getting your Jersey retired worthy career.

Donald they should. Kenny they should not. He had 1 great year here, 1 good year, and 3 average years. Then his NFL career is not off to a great start. That is not getting your Jersey retired worthy career.
Kenny:
- Highest Heisman Trophy finish ever for a Pitt quarterback. I would think he holds all the following Pitt passing records and most, if not every, single-season and career passing records.
  • Career Passing Yards: Kenny Pickett (2017-2021) holds the record with 13,929 yards.
  • Single-Season Passing Yards: Kenny Pickett (2021) holds the record with 4,319 yards.
  • Single-Game Passing Yards: Kenny Pickett (2021) holds the record with 509 yards against Wake Forest in the ACC Championship game.
    - Career Most Touchdown Passes Thrown
    - Career Most Passing Completions
    - Single-Season Most Touchdown Passes Thrown
    - Single-Season Touchdown Passes Thrown
    - Single-Season Passing Completions

Pitt has 10 numbers currently retired. You can’t retire too many or eventually you run out of numbers. Isn’t there a better way to handle it? Maybe retire the number while the player is still alive. Then move the player to a ring of honor (whatever you’d like to call it) and give out the number as an honor such as what Syracuse has done with 44. I’m sure there are plenty of other ideas that give the players the proper recognition without permanently taking their numbers out of circulation.

I always thought it was strange to see Ray Graham on the field wearing #1. It didn't feel right to me that the number had not been retired. For whatever reason, I just don't think I feel the same way about 97 or 8.

Kenny:
- Highest Heisman Trophy finish ever for a Pitt quarterback. I would think he holds all the following Pitt passing records and most, if not every, single-season and career passing records.
  • Career Passing Yards: Kenny Pickett (2017-2021) holds the record with 13,929 yards.
  • Single-Season Passing Yards: Kenny Pickett (2021) holds the record with 4,319 yards.
  • Single-Game Passing Yards: Kenny Pickett (2021) holds the record with 509 yards against Wake Forest in the ACC Championship game.
I would hope someone who started for 4.25 years in 12 game seasons in the most pass friendly era against mediocre competition, would had all those records. As far as his heisman, dude Jason White is a winner of that trophy, it means nothing.

Last edited:
retiring numbers is stupid and outdated.
No it is not, but it should be reserved for the best of the best. As much as I love Marino, May, Ditka etc, only Dorsett and Fralic and soon Donald, should be the only 3. If Revis stayed one more year and performed like he was capable him too, but that is a different argument.

Disagree.
He had 13/14ths of a great year.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
No it is not, but it should be reserved for the best of the best. As much as I love Marino, May, Ditka etc, only Dorsett and Fralic and soon Donald, should be the only 3. If Revis stayed one more year and performed like he was capable him too, but that is a different argument.
I am okay with the lowest number, 1 (Fitzgerald), and the highest number, 99 (Green), being retired on top of Dorsett and Fralic.

I am okay with the lowest number, 1 (Fitzgerald), and the highest number, 99 (Green), being retired on top of Dorsett and Fralic.
Damn how did I forget Fitz. The problem with Green was his lack of stardom in the NFL.

Kenny:
Still no.....

Did Kenny have a better career than Matt Cavanaugh? I don’t know but I have no problem with his number being retired.

As long as they retire your jersey but still let players wear that number, I have no problem with Donald, Pickett, Revis, etc. I think the jerseys look cool hanging in the stadium and they always get shown multiple times on TV.

Donald was a all-time great player at Pitt, maybe the best defensive lineman in the history of the NFL, and has given back to Pitt both through his donations and time spent with the team. Without a doubt worthy of having his number retired.

Reactions: Tucker99
As long as they retire your jersey but still let players wear that number, I have no problem with Donald, Pickett, Revis, etc. I think the jerseys look cool hanging in the stadium and they always get shown multiple times on TV.

I think they should make it an honor. Tell your receivers "if you're good enough we'll give you number 1." Tell your defensive tackles (or all defensive linemen) "if you're good enough we'll give you 97." Make it an honor for someone to wear the number.

Here are our retired jerseys and this is a list of who's who in college football history!

Given our rich history with individual talent that is a short list. I would say as soon as Aaron wants his but not sure about Kenny's qualifications.

• WR 6'3" 220 lbs

Larry Fitzgerald

Minneapolis, Minn. Richfield Academy
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Larry Fitzgerald

• QB 6'4" 215 lbs

Dan Marino

Pittsburgh, Pa. Pittsburgh Central Catholic
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Dan Marino

• RB 5'11" 195 lbs

Tony Dorsett

Aliquippa, Pa. Hopewell
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Tony Dorsett

• RB 5'11" 190 lbs

Marshall Goldberg

Elkins, W.Va. Elkins
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Marshall Goldberg

• LB 6'1" 220 lbs

Joe Schmidt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Brentwood
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Joe Schmidt

• OL 6'6" 285 lbs

Mark May

Oneonta, N.Y. Oneonta
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Mark May

• OL 6'5" 275 lbs

Jimbo Covert

Conway, Pa. Freedom
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Jimbo Covert

• OL 6'5" 285 lbs

Bill Fralic

Pittsburgh, Pa. Penn Hills
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Bill Fralic

• TE / DE 6'3" 225 lbs

Mike Ditka

Aliquippa, Pa. Aliquippa
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Mike Ditka

• DE 6'2" 225 lbs

Hugh Green

Natchez, Miss. North Natchez
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Hugh Green

UP LogoACC Logo

Here are our retired jerseys and this is a list of who's who in college football history!

Given our rich history with individual talent that is a short list. I would say as soon as Aaron wants his but not sure about Kenny's qualifications.

• WR 6'3" 220 lbs

Larry Fitzgerald

Minneapolis, Minn. Richfield Academy
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Larry Fitzgerald

• QB 6'4" 215 lbs

Dan Marino

Pittsburgh, Pa. Pittsburgh Central Catholic
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Dan Marino

• RB 5'11" 195 lbs

Tony Dorsett

Aliquippa, Pa. Hopewell
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Tony Dorsett

• RB 5'11" 190 lbs

Marshall Goldberg

Elkins, W.Va. Elkins
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Marshall Goldberg

• LB 6'1" 220 lbs

Joe Schmidt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Brentwood
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Joe Schmidt

• OL 6'6" 285 lbs

Mark May

Oneonta, N.Y. Oneonta
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Mark May

• OL 6'5" 275 lbs

Jimbo Covert

Conway, Pa. Freedom
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Jimbo Covert

• OL 6'5" 285 lbs

Bill Fralic

Pittsburgh, Pa. Penn Hills
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Bill Fralic

• TE / DE 6'3" 225 lbs

Mike Ditka

Aliquippa, Pa. Aliquippa
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Mike Ditka

• DE 6'2" 225 lbs

Hugh Green

Natchez, Miss. North Natchez
    Full Bio
    Hide/Show Additional Information For Hugh Green

UP LogoACC Logo

Every player listed is an All-Time Great. They're either in the College or Pro Football Hall of Fame, or both. Kenny is not an all-time great. He was a great player for one season. That's the honest truth. If you really want to retire another jersey besides Donald, how about Russ Grimm?

Kenny:
How come we didn't retire AVP's jersey after he graduated? I'm sure he had a bunch of records too

Agree on Kenny. Just 1 great year. That's not enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT