ADVERTISEMENT

When will Pitt retire Aaron Donald and Kenny Pickett's jersey numbers?

Addison might have a better argument for having his number retired than Kenny does. But I totally agree that retiring numbers in general is dumb. Alabama and Georgia will have to start giving triple digits to the new guys.

Reactions: pittmeister
I definitely think Fitzgerald deserves to have his jersey retired, and he only played for Pitt for 2 years.

I definitely think Fitzgerald deserves to have his jersey retired, and he only played for Pitt for 2 years.

Which is the exact reason Kenny's shouldn't be. He was between "slightly below average" and "good" for three years before putting together one great season. If he had only started two seasons and they both looked like 2021, fine. But we saw way too many warts, in my opinion.

Also, 11-3 and a 13th overall finish is great for Pitt, but I don't know how special it is in the grand scheme of things. I mean, we were 10-3 and finished 15th in 2009. If he had led us to the playoff then I think it's a different discussion.

I am rethinking this and Kenny should be in if Fitz is in! They both had incredible seasons and deserve to be in.

Kenny:
- Highest Heisman Trophy finish ever for a Pitt quarterback. I would think he holds all the following Pitt passing records and most, if not every, single-season and career passing records.
  • Career Passing Yards: Kenny Pickett (2017-2021) holds the record with 13,929 yards.
  • Single-Season Passing Yards: Kenny Pickett (2021) holds the record with 4,319 yards.
  • Single-Game Passing Yards: Kenny Pickett (2021) holds the record with 509 yards against Wake Forest in the ACC Championship game.
    - Career Most Touchdown Passes Thrown
    - Career Most Passing Completions
    - Single-Season Most Touchdown Passes Thrown
    - Single-Season Touchdown Passes Thrown
    - Single-Season Passing Completions
Just stop please. The answer is no.

I am rethinking this and Kenny should be in if Fitz is in! They both had incredible seasons and deserve to be in.

I love Kenny but Larry is arguably the greatest college WR of all time. Kenny had 1 great season and in the grand scheme of things, it wasnt really that "special." Kenny was a regular dude for 4 years and had 1 great season. No way you can retire his jersey for that. If you do, dont you have to retire Addison's also?

No it is not, but it should be reserved for the best of the best. As much as I love Marino, May, Ditka etc, only Dorsett and Fralic and soon Donald, should be the only 3. If Revis stayed one more year and performed like he was capable him too, but that is a different argument.
What about Fitz?

Stop. Just stop! There are more deserving players than Kenny.

Russ Grimm - Pro Football HOF
Scott McKillop - Two Time All-American
Antonio Bryant - Biletnikoff Winner

Just to name a few

Quit trolling.
I don’t doubt there are better options than Kenny, but Scott McKillop?

Same guy who was an 8th round draft pick and released prior to the season and had 11 career starts ?
Stop it
The same guy who finished in the top 10 in passing in the nation.

1992 - #4
1991 - #9
1990 - #18
1989 - #21

If I'm not mistaken when he graduated he was the NCAA's #3 all time in passing yards behind Detmer and Santos.

Is that the end-all-be-all? No.

However, he was well known throughout the country. He was in all the national magazines. You pretending that he was just a local yocal QB is ridiculous.

Interesting stat.. Andre Ware won the Heisman and was a top 10 pick, and threw for less yards then AVP did in the NFL on 6 career starts.

The same guy who finished in the top 10 in passing in the nation.

1992 - #4
1991 - #9
1990 - #18
1989 - #21

If I'm not mistaken when he graduated he was the NCAA's #3 all time in passing yards behind Detmer and Santos.

Is that the end-all-be-all? No.

However, he was well known throughout the country. He was in all the national magazines. You pretending that he was just a local yocal QB is ridiculous.

Interesting stat.. Andre Ware won the Heisman and was a top 10 pick, and threw for less yards then AVP did in the NFL on 6 career starts.
People know Andre ware because he won the Heisman and multiple awards .
It’s also why he was a first round draft pick .
You aren’t helping your argument

Donald they should. Kenny they should not. He had 1 great year here, 1 good year, and 3 average years. Then his NFL career is not off to a great start. That is not getting your Jersey retired worthy career.
NFL career shouldn't matter at all - a guy like Tebow would be worthy of his college team retiring his number, but you're right, if one good year gets your number retired, why not Pete Gonzalez :)

Pitt has too many retired already. Not as bad as the Yankees though, I don't know if they have a single digit number left.
nope and they retired #8 twice, for yogi and another guy. same number retired twice, that doesnt even make sense.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Damn how did I forget Fitz. The problem with Green was his lack of stardom in the NFL.
NFL performance shouldn't matter as far as retiring a college number. Like I said above, Tim Tebow is a gret example, he'd deserve it if Florida retired his number even though he stunk in the NFL

nope and they retired #8 twice, for yogi and another guy. same number retired twice, that doesnt even make sense.
Yankees have 23 numbers retired, the only single digit they still use is ZERO, five guys on the current roster wear numbers in the 90s, eventually 99 will be retired :)

People know Andre ware because he won the Heisman and multiple awards .
It’s also why he was a first round draft pick .
You aren’t helping your argument
Again - back to the original point - you said no one knew who AVP was. You also said his teams stunk. You were right on his teams not being good wrong on his notoriety.

My OP was if KP has all these records which were/are meaningless in the grand scheme of CFB today, why wouldn't we retire AVP? AVP graduated as the #3 all time passing leader in CFB history. Sure his teams weren't very good either. Neither were Joe Schmidt's in college.

KP was a mediocre QB for 4 years and outstanding for 1. He probably shouldn't have his jersey retired. Up until his 5th year, PITT had several QB's who performed better and they're nowhere near having their jersey's retired. Should we retire Tom Savage's #?

Again - back to the original point - you said no one knew who AVP was. You also said his teams stunk. You were right on his teams not being good wrong on his notoriety.
Wasn't he QB on the team that was 8-3-1 and beat Texas A&M in a bowl game. That was a decent season.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.

My OP was if KP has all these records which were/are meaningless in the grand scheme of CFB today, why wouldn't we retire AVP? AVP graduated as the #3 all time passing leader in CFB history. Sure his teams weren't very good either. Neither were Joe Schmidt's in college.

KP was a mediocre QB for 4 years and outstanding for 1. He probably shouldn't have his jersey retired. Up until his 5th year, PITT had several QB's who performed better and they're nowhere near having their jersey's retired. Should we retire Tom Savage's #?
Did savage win a conference championship , broke records , and was a Heisman finalist ?
You’re really bad at this .

Did savage win a conference championship , broke records , and was a Heisman finalist ?
You’re really bad at this .
Nope.. But, like I said -

KP was a mediocre QB for 4 years and outstanding for 1.

KP having his jersey being retired is akin to PSU retiring Larry Johnson's #. I'm not sure if that's in their plans anytime soon.

You should try quitting right now. It will be good for you....and us.
did I say anything that was incorrect such that I should receive such a harsh hurtful rebuttal? Gonna take me a while to get over it. I'll put you down on the "quitting on the team for personal reasons should have no bearing on lifetime team accolades for fellas near the cut line " list...thanks for your input..

did I say anything that was incorrect such that I should receive such a harsh hurtful rebuttal? Gonna take me a while to get over it. I'll put you down on the "quitting on the team for personal reasons should have no bearing on lifetime team accolades for fellas near the cut line " list...thanks for your input..
Vine Ok GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT