ADVERTISEMENT

White announces WBB staff

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Press release:

University of Pittsburgh women’s basketball head coach Lance White announced the additions of Danielle Atkinson, Terri Mitchell and Josh Petersen to his coaching staff Wednesday.

“I am extremely excited about beginning this new chapter in Pitt women’s basketball with Danielle, Terri and Josh,” White said. “This is an incredible group of people – my absolute dream team. They bring knowledge, experience and energy to the game of basketball and I could not imagine a better group to have by my side. Together, we will do everything we can to make this program something to be proud of.”

Atkinson and Mitchell will serve as associate head coaches, and Petersen will be an assistant coach. Atkinson coached with White on the sidelines as an assistant at Florida State for the past four seasons. Mitchell, the all-time winningest women’s basketball head coach at Marquette, will return to coaching after a four-year break. Petersen was a graduate assistant at Florida State prior to spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at UNC Asheville.

Known as an experienced coach with a great deal of knowledge in a variety of coaching realms, Atkinson has risen through the ranks since starting her career as an assistant coach at Hofstra (2006-10). She enjoyed successful stops with the Pride, Illinois State (2010-12) and Kentucky (2012-14) before joining White and head coach Sue Semrau at Florida State in 2014. Atkinson wrapped up her first year at FSU by playing a key role in the team’s record-breaking 2014-15 season. The Seminoles earned a school-record 32 wins, including 27 by double-figure points. Florida State reached the NCAA Tournament in each year of her term, including the Elite Eight twice.

A Mariette, Ga., native, Atkinson earned several academic honors as a four-year letterwinner for the University of Florida (2002-06). She was a three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll selection, an Arthur Ashe Jr. Scholar Athlete Second Team member and a District 3 CoSIDA Academic All-America Team member.

“Danielle’s résumé is so impressive,” White said. “I was fortunate enough to spend the past four years with her at Florida State. I have seen firsthand that she is a great teacher of the game and is an excellent recruiter. She will be a fantastic role model to our student-athletes.”

One of the most accomplished names in NCAA women’s basketball, Mitchell returns to the city of Pittsburgh with more than 20 years of coaching experience in tow. A 1989 graduate of Duquesne University, Mitchell’s remarkable career includes becoming the all-time winningest women’s basketball coach at Marquette. She spent 18 years at the helm of the Golden Eagles’ program (1996-2014) and acquired 348 wins while leading the team to the postseason 15 times. Mitchell earned conference coach of the year honors three times – Conference USA (1998, 2000) and Big East (2007). She led the Golden Eagles to 20 or more wins 10 times to go with seven NCAA Tournament appearances and eight trips to the WNIT, including the 2008 WNIT title. In addition to her time at Marquette, Mitchell’s extensive experience includes serving as an assistant coach for USA Basketball's U18 Team that won the gold medal while going unbeaten at the 2008 FIBA Americas Championship. Most recently, Mitchell served as special assistant to Arizona State head coach Charli Turner Thorne during the 2017-18 campaign.

A native of Harrisburg, Pa., Mitchell was a four-year letterwinner and team co-captain at Duquesne. Following an outstanding career with the Dukes, Mitchell graduated cum laude with a psychology degree in 1989.

“I pulled Terri back into the game and I can’t believe she had the faith in my message to do it,” White said. “She brings 18 years of head coaching experience from Marquette. She understands how to win and loves teaching the game. She might just be the best person I have ever met.”

Petersen arrives in Pittsburgh after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach under Brenda Mock Kirkpatrick at UNC Asheville. During his time with the Bulldogs, the team captured back-to-back Big South Conference Tournament crowns (2016, 2017), two NCAA Tournament berths (2016, 2017), three consecutive postseason berths (2016, 2017, 2018) and one Big South Conference regular season title (2016). With Petersen on the sidelines, nine Bulldogs earned All-Big South Conference honors, including 2015-16 league Player of the Year Chatori Major. Additionally, six players earned Big South Championship All-Tournament honors with Major and Sonora Dengokl being named Most Valuable Player in 2016 and 2017. Prior to his stint at UNC Asheville, Petersen was at Florida State with White for six seasons, including two years as a graduate assistant (2012-14). He was FSU’s head manager for four years prior to his graduate work (2008-12). In his six years at Florida State, the Seminoles went to five NCAA Tournaments, including an appearance in the Elite Eight in 2010.

A native of Abernathy, Texas, Petersen moved to Tallahassee, Fla., prior to his senior year of high school and graduated from Godby High School. He earned his bachelor’s degree in accounting and finance in 2012 and his master’s degree in sports management at FSU in the spring of 2014.

“Josh is the most energetic guy I have ever been around,” White said. “He spent the last four years at UNC Asheville, but my history with Josh goes back to his sixth grade year. He is one of the hardest working people I know and I am thrilled that he will get to bring his positive energy to this group.”

GET YOUR TICKETS
Individuals interested in learning more about tickets, please visit PittsburghPanthers.com/wbbinterest. You can also contact the Panthers’ Ticket Office by email at tickets@athletics.pitt.edu or by phone at 800-643-7488. Flex tickets are available for $30 on PittsburghPanthers.com/tickets.

Nice looking staff, glad he was smart to get an experienced head coach to assist

Recruiting in women's basketball is generally very much under the radar as compared to men's recruiting. Usually you find no info (unless a player is local) until a LOI signing is announced--the exception being the name's of schools committed to on the list of the women's top 100 and players listed for each school that the link leads to. Here are links to the 2018 and 2019 Hoop Gurlz top 100 lists. A lot of not yet listed as committed players for 2019 at this point. Class of 2018 commits pretty much complete.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2018

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2019

It does appears Pitt has one top 100 player for 2018 (at #96)--the #24 point guard. None shown for 2019 at this point.

I don't know if this 2018 class point is a commit to coach White or to the previous staff. Or, if she is still committed to Pitt.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/231018/jahsyni-knight

It also appears Pitt signed two other similarly rated point guards who didn't make the top 100 (both rated as the # 27 point guard) in the class of 2018. Are they still Pitt commits? I have no idea. Link below.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/221/class/2018.

No info on Class of 2019 Pitt recruits in Hoop Gurlz. Maybe someone else has better info.

Anyone have any newer info?

Did we keep the 3 point guard recruits or have they asked for and been given their LOI release?

The silence out of the women's hoops program (except for the announced coaching staff hires and Diop transfering to Louisville) has been deafening.

An internet search on Pitt's top 100 recruit indicates she was/is recovering from a torn ACL that made her miss much of her senior season. That certainly doesn't sound too promising for what she will bring to Pitt women's basketball.

Good grief, Tehya Lyons, the point guard from Georgia, also is/was recovering from a torn ACL. Perhaps it is no wonder former coach Serio recruited 3 freshmen point guards in a single class. Two are potentially a risk of not being able to play to their potential due to their injuries.

The Grrek girl's longish U-tube video looks good; but it is hard to judge the level of competition. She shows a nice behind the back dribble move to get by a defender a few times in the video.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT