ADVERTISEMENT

Who are our five best players?

wolf-howling-wolf.gif

Even though he’s been criminally used this year, Bart should be on the list somewhere.

Maybe. But I've seen him miss a lot of blocks this season, and the passes to the guys last night, in conjunction with what he did at BC, at least tell me his usage wasn't a Cignetti thing. It's possible CV doesn't use the middle of the field enough, though.

I would ask it like, which 5 players would you "protect" from transferring if you could. I dont even know.

1. Bartholomew
2. Goncalves
3. Baer (I am guessing on the linemen because some people say they are good)
4. Hayes I guess
5. McMillon?

I wonder if they need to bulk McMillon up and move him to OLB. Basically we have no "sky is falling if they transfer" guys because we dont have much talent

McMillon is one of the 5. He makes mistakes here and there but every game he is one of our leading tacklers

Marquis Williams may be one of the 10 most over rated Pitt players in recent history.

I would ask it like, which 5 players would you "protect" from transferring if you could. I dont even know.

1. Bartholomew
2. Goncalves
3. Baer (I am guessing on the linemen because some people say they are good)
4. Hayes I guess
5. McMillon?

I wonder if they need to bulk McMillon up and move him to OLB. Basically we have no "sky is falling if they transfer" guys because we dont have much talent

I think that's a completely different question, because I would lean toward the youth. I don't really care if Bartholomew and some others leave, because next year is likely going to be pretty mediocre anyway.

But then you also get into situations like, "Well, we need Moore, because he's our only center."

McMillon is one of the 5. He makes mistakes here and there but every game he is one of our leading tacklers

Marquis Williams may be one of the 10 most over rated Pitt players in recent history.
Williams had a bad game , i dont mean to get technical but he was good when he was younger. He helped win a ACC Champ . This season was just a nightmare.
He is a nice dude too.

I think that's a completely different question, because I would lean toward the youth. I don't really care if Bartholomew and some others leave, because next year is likely going to be pretty mediocre anyway.

But then you also get into situations like, "Well, we need Moore, because he's our only center."

Yea but that's what I'm more interested in right now. I am looking to next year. I am trying to black out this year.

Hayes had a good game last night, nice to stick it to BC..
have some.
Syracuse , we owe them on the hardwood I guess.

Last edited:

I disagree. He's not good, unless making tackles 15 yards downfield is what you want. He's bad in coverage too. Williams 5 times the player McMillon is.

Bart is easily the most overrated and fan overhyped player on this team.

I disagree. He's not good, unless making tackles 15 yards downfield is what you want. He's bad in coverage too. Williams 5 times the player McMillon is.

That's why I say to move him to LB.

Yeah Bart is definitely overhyped on here a good bit vs actual production. He’s gotten a lot of mileage out of some good catches his 1st year. One game after another where he’s completely absent is always entirely on the QB and/or OC.

Might as well hype up Johnson and Epps for Yarnell’s 1st 2 completions yesterday, those were pretty good catches as well.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Just curious, but which SEC team do you think he'd start for next year?
some people on here said that Georgia made a 500k offer. Jim H said that he is hearing about Bartholomew being contacted by other schools too (Although it was a poster and not Jim who brought up the Georgia 500k NIL rumor).

He's a lot better than pitt fans think he is. kind of sucks for him that he got stuck with our OC, really just wasted 2 years of college eligibility for him.

Reactions: 303vND
some people on here said that Georgia made a 500k offer. Jim H said that he is hearing about Bartholomew being contacted by other schools too (Although it was a poster and not Jim who brought up the Georgia 500k NIL rumor).

He's a lot better than pitt fans think he is. kind of sucks for him that he got stuck with our OC, really just wasted 2 years of college eligibility for him.
LOL, maybe it's Mr. Bart spreading that rumor to get some ching out of Pitt. They have a stable of young TEs who were some of the best recruits in the country at the position. His ass would be full of splinters at UGA, not sure why they would pay for that.

He's a decent TE, and a good one for what we've had recently. He still drops too many balls, isn't very fluid adjusting to passes, and as noted above misses a lot of blocks. He's hurt himself as much as the OC has hurt him.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
LOL, maybe it's Mr. Bart spreading that rumor to get some ching out of Pitt. They have a stable of young TEs who were some of the best recruits in the country at the position. His ass would be full of splinters at UGA, not sure why they would pay for that.

He's a decent TE, and a good one for what we've had recently. He still drops too many balls, isn't very fluid adjusting to passes, and as noted above misses a lot of blocks. He's hurt himself as much as the OC has hurt him.
i dont know, we'll find out soon enough though.

I think he's a good player but this team has so many problems, I wouldn't break the bank or go matching big offers.

Donavon had 13 tackles yesterday - I watched him in the press room after the game. Looks and sounds like a pretty laid back, studious kid, but 13 tackles is much more than a day's work ... as for our DB's in general, Duzz puts them into a ton of potential trouble with his single coverage. If the DB is better than average he'll succeed; but we don't always have the likes of Hamlin and Reavis playing that position

I think he's a good player but this team has so many problems, I wouldn't break the bank or go matching big offers.
the way we use tight ends lol, no way.. like i said, he'd be crazy to come back to pitt, like two guys in a van put him in a straight jacket and take him to western psych crazy if he doesnt enter portal the day this season is over..

his season is over i guess but it's a good sign to not announce it until it's official.

Pretty much agree with this. I don't care if McMillon has 200 tackles... they mostly seem to be directly correlated with overall bad defense. I don't view safety as a strength for this team at all right now. McIntyre has been missing a ton of tackles, and O'Brien is out of position quite a bit. I know it's a tough position to learn in this defense, but those three have some work to do. McMillon still looks like he should be a linebacker, to me.

Reactions: TD_6082
Pretty much agree with this. I don't care if McMillon has 200 tackles... they mostly seem to be directly correlated with overall bad defense. I don't view safety as a strength for this team at all right now. McIntyre has been missing a ton of tackles, and O'Brien is out of position quite a bit. I know it's a tough position to learn in this defense, but those three have some work to do. McMillon still looks like he should be a linebacker, to me.

McMillon's strength is tackling.....obviously. I cant say I know enough to evaluate his coverage skills but we are usually ok back there. He seems to have good football sense so I'd like to see him play "higher up the field" to use a soccer term. Can maybe make a bigger impact at OLB

Donavon had 13 tackles yesterday - I watched him in the press room after the game. Looks and sounds like a pretty laid back, studious kid, but 13 tackles is much more than a day's work ... as for our DB's in general, Duzz puts them into a ton of potential trouble with his single coverage. If the DB is better than average he'll succeed; but we don't always have the likes of Hamlin and Reavis playing that position
Article I read recently said he’s leading the team in tackles and has the most tackles in a season since Jordan Whitehead 2015. I think we were a little better than average that year but in general I don’t think it’s a good sign when a safety leads your team in tackles.

Duzz puts them into a ton of potential trouble with his single coverage.
I will defend Duzz on this. 1. What coverage can you run that does not put Corner's on an Island? You can not double cover everyone, the offense will, 1. run the ball or the qb will have too much time.

If you run Palms/read two, two verts to one side will make the same affect as Duzz's, regular quarters, they will throw short and you can't miss a tackle all game long or its over, etc, etc, etc,

Last edited:
I will defend Duzz on this. 1. What coverage can you run that does not put Corner's on an Island? You can not double cover everyone, the offense will, 1. run the ball or the qb will have too much time.
I guess my point was, that unless the DB's are better-than-average athletes, the potential for trouble/failure is greater with that type of defense. No argument, though. I think Pitt DB's are better prepared to play in the NFL under his program. But only the best make it.

Article I read recently said he’s leading the team in tackles and has the most tackles in a season since Jordan Whitehead 2015. I think we were a little better than average that year but in general I don’t think it’s a good sign when a safety leads your team in tackles.
And to echo SMF's comment, it wouldn't surprise if Donovan shifts to LB next year

Too many times McMillon fails to make a tackle. Seems more interested in making a jarring hit and talking smack than putting somebody on the ground.

that unless the DB's are better-than-average athletes, the potential for trouble/failure is greater with that type of defense
I believe it makes no difference. Hear me out. 1. When the ball is in the air, there is no difference in whatever coverage one is in. The DB has to make the same play. So yes the athleticism of the DB is a factor but it is the same factor whatever coverage one is in. 2. In the college ranks today sitting in an old cover 3, or sitting in a physical cover 2 (double rotation for the older guys)can be employed as a surprise change up, you cannot live in those coverages for obvious reasons today. . But if you change coverages like this, you are asking your recruited athletes to play differently, different skill sets than man to man., physical corners in cover 2, etc. So recruiting one may type of athlete for that spot, and then placing pressure on the qb through grand scheme is as good as any other option that coaches can come up with. Sabans Palms coverage is similar when #2 goes vertical, no real difference, etc.

PS I needed to make this argument for awhile because I read the idea of how risky it is on here a lot not really intended toward the Chairman. Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT