ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you rather have

Whomever is the most talented player for the future . Pitts future is only starting next yr , worrying about an extra win or two next season is
waste .

Dawson (grad transfer), Bey, Hyatt or Toney?

It doesn't really have to be an "or" question. There are 2 ships open.

1) The biggest need to have a chance at a legit shot at immediate respectability this coming season and which, in turn, would pay the biggest dividend for recruiting perception and future success is a decent big man to backup or to start and mentor Terrell Brown. This makes grad transfer Dawson easily priority one as a stopgap.

2) If we were to take another freshman recruit I would much rather it be D.J. Burns than any of the three Wing (SF) options. Burns has just reclassified to 2018 from 2019. He is a 4-star (0.9422 rating) 6-9, 248 lb Center prospect from South Carolina. He has been discussed on the pay board but, since I don't subscribe, I don't know whether anyone thinks we might have a legit chance of signing him. Googling him makes it seem he is likely going to commit to either South Carolina or Tennessee (his only two official visits so far). He is not supposed to announce his decision until after he attends the NBA Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville, Va., during June 12-17.

3) IMO, a wing (small forward) is a lot lower priority at this point for a 2018 freshman recruit. Bey, Hyatt and Toney are all excellent 247 composite rated 4-star wings. All three have similar size (6-6 or 6-7) and almost identical numerical ratings (Toney 0.9426, Hyatt 0.9405 and Bey 0.9358). It is impossible to know at this time which of the three will turn out to be the better college player. Any one of those three would be a nice add but at the position of least immediate need (we wouldn't take more than one of them, IMHO). I doubt any one of the three would be likely to perform better as a true freshman (2018-19) than what we will get from the Ellison-Frame combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chescat
You never know too, Hyatt and Toney are 2019 guys and Pitt could still technically get them for the 2019 class. Pitt does need BIGS though.

1) The biggest need to have a chance at a legit shot at immediate respectability this coming season and which, in turn, would pay the biggest dividend for recruiting perception and future success is a decent big man to backup or to start and mentor Terrell Brown. This makes grad transfer Dawson easily priority one as a stopgap.

2) If we were to take another freshman recruit I would much rather it be D.J. Burns than any of the three Wing (SF) options. Burns has just reclassified to 2018 from 2019. He is a 4-star (0.9422 rating) 6-9, 248 lb Center prospect from South Carolina. He has been discussed on the pay board but, since I don't subscribe, I don't know whether anyone thinks we might have a legit chance of signing him. Googling him makes it seem he is likely going to commit to either South Carolina or Tennessee (his only two official visits so far). He is not supposed to announce his decision until after he attends the NBA Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville, Va., during June 12-17.

3) IMO, a wing (small forward) is a lot lower priority at this point for a 2018 freshman recruit. Bey, Hyatt and Toney are all excellent 247 composite rated 4-star wings. All three have similar size (6-6 or 6-7) and almost identical numerical ratings (Toney 0.9426, Hyatt 0.9405 and Bey 0.9358). It is impossible to know at this time which of the three will turn out to be the better college player. Any one of those three would be a nice add but at the position of least immediate need (we wouldn't take more than one of them, IMHO). I doubt any one of the three would be likely to perform better as a true freshman (2018-19) than what we will get from the Ellison-Frame combo.

I am assuming that 1 or the 2 has to go to a BIG.

When in doubt, go with the coolest name. For me, it's too close to call between Bey and Toney. Hyatt and Dawson? Sorry lads, too generic.

Actually, Pitt has four open scholarships for 2019. N'Dir and Wilson-Frame are both gone after this coming season. At least 2 of the 4 have to be for bigs; better if 3 of them were bigs.
Ideally, we'd get two grad transfer bigs this year to help with this coming season, leaving room for better 2019 recruits. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much big, grad transfer talent available. Hopefully, Capel can ID one or two and get them here.

Bey does not seem like an option as he just said he has not heard from Pitt. He is a nice talent and you never know as JC can decide he wants Bey and move quick as he has proven he is more than capable of doing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT