ADVERTISEMENT

Why the Big 12 should be "downgraded"

This speaks volumes as to why the ACC (and also PAC) will never be superior to XII and why it won’t ever encroach on the power/prestige of the B1G or SEC.

The ACC is really the only conference that isn’t tapped out.

It’s located in the south, with a fanbase that would love to go all in on football. It has a ton of potential if it got its act together.

But I disagree about the Big XII. Even if it doesn’t deserve it, it’s largely going to be an afterthought here shortly.

I don't think it will happen but it should. The "Alliance" and SEC need to make the Big 12 weaker so they can become stronger. I agree that Baylor, TCU, OKSt, etc will still get good Texas recruits if the league is dropped to G6 status but the perception hit will hurt their recruiting significantly. Not so significantly that they'll be AAC status but at a level where Baylor and OK St arent putting out perennial Top 5ish teams. I cant understand why the "P4" would just sit there and allow OK St, TT, Baylor, TCU, and Houston to load up on Texas kids who could leave the state to improve middle-leve programs in other leagues

Ideally, the best Texas kids would go to Texas, A&M, OU, and bluebloods. The 2nd tier kids would go to your Auburn's, LSU's, Mississippi's, etc but right now they're going to the OK St's.
Incorrect. You do think it will happen. You have routinely stated “when the P4”, etc.

Multiple, multiple posts.

The ACC is really the only conference that isn’t tapped out.

It’s located in the south, with a fanbase that would love to go all in on football. It has a ton of potential if it got its act together.

But I disagree about the Big XII. Even if it doesn’t deserve it, it’s largely going to be an afterthought here shortly.
No it won’t. It has way more programs than the ACC and PAC that care about football.

In fact, sans Clemson and USC, the ACC and PAC are the leagues that are afterthoughts. The PAC fans couldn’t care less about college sports and the majority of ACC fans couldn’t care less about football. It’s a hoops conference….just not a very good one is all.

No it won’t. It has way more programs than the ACC and PAC that care about football.

In fact, sans Clemson and USC, the ACC and PAC are the leagues that are afterthoughts. The PAC fans couldn’t care less about college sports and the majority of ACC fans couldn’t care less about football. It’s a hoops conference….just not a very good one is all.

But the PAC 12 has those teams. No league can poach them. For as weak as it might be, it’s existence is all but guaranteed. And it’s not taking G5 teams in hopes that they can become something.

You can say “sans,” but those teams exist. The Big XII just doesn’t have a bell cow. It doesn’t have a single team that will recruit at a Top 10 level. And it won’t. And you’re going to see the impact of that soon.

Seems a little silly that a fan of a conference that “features” Pittsburgh and Wake Forest in the CCG is tossing shade at someone else, from the conference standpoint.

If Pitt fan wants to toss shade at WVU for this season then I can at least understand it.

However, the status of a certain conference speaks for itself when it presents the type of season the ACC provided for the sport in 2021. At least the PAC had a team that beat TOSU in Columbus.

Seems a little silly that a fan of a conference that “features” Pittsburgh and Wake Forest in the CCG is tossing shade at someone else, from the conference standpoint.

If Pitt fan wants to toss shade at WVU for this season then I can at least understand it.

However, the status of a certain conference speaks for itself when it presents the type of season the ACC provided for the sport in 2021. At least the PAC had a team that beat TOSU in Columbus.

I just think the Big XII is essentially going to be an expanded version of the Big Ten West.

The Big XII needs a team that belongs on the national stage. As you said, what is the ACC and PAC 12 without them?

@CFBPlayoff executive director Bill Hancock said after commissioners met today in Indianapolis: “we’re making progress & we will have a statement after Monday’s presidents meeting”

Yes, the ACC and P12 suck but they have eyeballs. The only markets the B12 has that arent Alliance + SEC markets are WV and Kansas. That's the problem.

Reactions: cashisking884
Yes, the ACC and P12 suck but they have eyeballs. The only markets the B12 has that arent Alliance + SEC markets are WV and Kansas. That's the problem.

And can’t get the best players from its market.

I made a post above about how VT’s in a talent hole and can’t really recruit well enough to get out of quickly.

Yet even with a coach who was a horrible recruiter. And who was a dead man walking all year. And with a transition class. VT finished with a class that would be third in the new Big XII, and basically be second in average recruit ranking, with not much separation from first.

And that’s one of our down programs.

We just had a borderline 5* commit to Miami and its coach who has been on the job less than a month, yesterday on the national all star game. And he wasn’t even a local ACC footprint recruit, he was a west coast kid.

And that’s one of our down programs.

WVU fans can talk about how the PAC 12 only has one king, but Oregon had the 5* tackle from Texas committed until Cristobal left. And then he flipped to Texas.
He never gave any of the new Big XII teams a look. He would have rather gone to the Pacific Northwest and played for a west coast Prince, than stayed home and played for a new Big XII “King.”

And that’s the problem the Big XII will have going forward. And I’m not sure they can overcome it.

So it should just be based on TV Ratings? TV Ratings, "eye balls", who "travels" well, markets, footprints, all the reasons college football sucks.

So it should just be based on TV Ratings? TV Ratings, "eye balls", who "travels" well, markets, footprints, all the reasons college football sucks.
In case you haven't noticed, the conferences with the best TV money are the ones that are competitively the best. The ACC has been on an upward trajectory and finally getting Comcast to play ball will bring more money. Money matters because you need to spend money for coaches and recruiting. VaTech is relevant to this discussion because there are a number of articles over the last few years that revealed that they haven't been spending the money on the program. So yes, the number and quality of fans in CFB does matter because the TV people pay for the most eyes. That may change but right now, that's just how it is. If the TV people knock the money down for the conference, the conference levels off, at best.

Yes. Its a business. What's the point of adding a conference that only brings you the WV and Kansas markets?

If it goes to the next contract, the B12 may be in trouble on the revenue distribution status.
It makes sense Bowlsby seems the most frustrated getting the interim deal done.
How could they keep status quo after losing Tx and Ok?
But who knows anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT