ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder if ACC refs will protect Pitt

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The ACC will not want Pitt limping into the ACCCG at 6-6 or even 7-5. I do not believe referees cheat.......except in college football and only very rarely and its usually in situations like this where conferences have a direct interest in the game results.

I’m thinking the same thing. Pitt has the inside track and they may want to keep it that way.

Do you guys really think that there’s no credence in the notion that officiants who are paid by a certain organization wouldn’t make some effort to provide an advantage to another member of said organization in an attempt to make the product as a whole look better? It’s really not that far fetched.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
One of the worst officiated Pitt games I ever watched was at wvu in 2007.

I wonder why? It wouldn't have to do with a certain team needing a wing to play for that national championship would it?

If the zebras would have called that one fair and square Pitt wins by double digits.

Do you guys really think that there’s no credence in the notion that officiants who are paid by a certain organization wouldn’t make some effort to provide an advantage to another member of said organization in an attempt to make the product as a whole look better? It’s really not that far fetched.
I believe an organization like the ACC would not want the integrity of their games called into question. Officials make mistakes, just like players and coaches, and when fans see those mistakes going against their team, they suspect the worst. They generally ignore the bad calls that go in their team's favor. Fans, being fans, see what they want to see. So it will ever be.

Reactions: PittCity
One of the worst officiated Pitt games I ever watched was at wvu in 2007.

I wonder why? It wouldn't have to do with a certain team needing a wing to play for that national championship would it?

If the zebras would have called that one fair and square Pitt wins by double digits.

Also, remember the Bostick to Oderick Turner offensive pass interference vs Rutgers. RU was having a good season and we were out of bowl contention. The ref was standing right there and didn't call it until after Turner caught it. One of the worst calls ever

Also, remember the Bostick to Oderick Turner offensive pass interference vs Rutgers. RU was having a good season and we were out of bowl contention. The ref was standing right there and didn't call it until after Turner caught it. One of the worst calls ever

Was probably the same set of officials at that game. They picked on Turner at wvu on a bogus hold on a third down run and he may have been the guilty one on Shady's TD that got called back.

Well if ACC refs are making calls to protect better teams for the playoff they are doing a pretty lousy job of it. The past two seasons Pitt has beaten previously undefeated Clemson and Miami in November.

The ACC will not want Pitt limping into the ACCCG at 6-6 or even 7-5. I do not believe referees cheat.......except in college football and only very rarely and its usually in situations like this where conferences have a direct interest in the game results.

If the refs were favoring any team, it would not be Pitt ..... it would be Virginia ...... if Virginia wins the last two games and Pitt loses the last two, Virginia wins the Coastal with a 9-3 record which is a better record then Pitt could have.

Reactions: fairgambit
I believe an organization like the ACC would not want the integrity of their games called into question. Officials make mistakes, just like players and coaches, and when fans see those mistakes going against their team, they suspect the worst. They generally ignore the bad calls that go in their team's favor. Fans, being fans, see what they want to see. So it will ever be.

I would like to agree with that but I’m sure every team in the conference sees the way VT receivers push off. I’m not saying the refs are biased against Pitt but I do believe that there are times when they are either instructed to favor one team or they do it subconsciously because they have a rooting interest.

I would like to agree with that but I’m sure every team in the conference sees the way VT receivers push off. I’m not saying the refs are biased against Pitt but I do believe that there are times when they are either instructed to favor one team or they do it subconsciously because they have a rooting interest.
As another poster pointed out, where was the bias when Pitt beat undefeated Clemson on the road in 2016 by a single point? I watched the ND/Northwestern game with a Northwestern fan and, while I am no fan of ND, he was constantly critical of the officials in calls against NWestern, ignoring calls that went his way. Fans of all schools do it.

If the refs were favoring any team, it would not be Pitt ..... it would be Virginia ...... if Virginia wins the last two games and Pitt loses the last two, Virginia wins the Coastal with a 9-3 record which is a better record then Pitt could have.

Its way too unlikely that UVa gets there. They aren't going out of their way to fix 4 games so UVa gets there.

As another poster pointed out, where was the bias when Pitt beat undefeated Clemson on the road in 2016 by a single point? I watched the ND/Northwestern game with a Northwestern fan and, while I am no fan of ND, he was constantly critical of the officials in calls against NWestern, ignoring calls that went his way. Fans of all schools do it.

This is a discussion in which we will not ever see eye to eye. We just think differently.

There was the Gallman/Whitehead 14 point swing.

Also, everyone knew Clemson was getting in at 11-1. I was telling dejected Clemson fans that as I was walking out. By the way, I've never been congratulated that much for anything and I didn't play a down

I was thinking the opposite, they'd probably rather virginia lol

Yea but its too hard for UVa to get there which is why I think they'll shoot for Pitt being there at 8-4 and possibly in the Top 25 rather than us being 6-6 and getting the ACC laughed at

You guys are right. There is a massive conspiracy involving dozens, if not hundreds, of both football and basketball officials with the express mission of screwing over Pitt athletics at every possible moment. I mean who would have thought that Pitt would merit such treatment, but we do.

And the most interesting thing about this massive conspiracy is that no one has ever spilled the beans. No one has ever had a deathbed moment of clarity where they confess to the scheme. No one has ever gone for the big money by writing a tell all book when they retired from officiating. Nothing. The thing that makes it even more impressive is that we have seen mafia figures, from an organization that thinks nothing of putting a bullet in the head of a rat, write tell all books and give testimony against the mob, but no one has ever talked about this huge conspiracy to screw over Pitt. What must the ACC and the NCAA have against these guys that no one ever has a moment of doubt and wants to clear their conscience, even on their deathbed, and break the code?

You guys are right. There is a massive conspiracy involving dozens, if not hundreds, of both football and basketball officials with the express mission of screwing over Pitt athletics at every possible moment. I mean who would have thought that Pitt would merit such treatment, but we do.

And the most interesting thing about this massive conspiracy is that no one has ever spilled the beans. No one has ever had a deathbed moment of clarity where they confess to the scheme. No one has ever gone for the big money by writing a tell all book when they retired from officiating. Nothing. The thing that makes it even more impressive is that we have seen mafia figures, from an organization that thinks nothing of putting a bullet in the head of a rat, write tell all books and give testimony against the mob, but no one has ever talked about this huge conspiracy to screw over Pitt. What must the ACC and the NCAA have against these guys that no one ever has a moment of doubt and wants to clear their conscience, even on their deathbed, and break the code?

Snitches get stitches, you mess with the ACC mafia you get hurt, it’s as simple as that.

In all honestly though, refs nor anybody else “fix” games to screw with certain teams because they don’t want them to do well, they do it for money and no other reason.

There have been absolutely 0.0 betting irregularities involving any Pitt games in either football or basketball. They are relatively easy to spot and it just doesn’t exist. No one is conspiring against Pitt.

my come to Jesus referee moment came when I had no kids playing sports anymore...prior to that I was sure the refs were out to screw their teams for years...crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy stuff...now, I go and watch a game at the same high school and the same refs and oddly enough their "agenda" has disappeared.....the refs, ref the game.... now, if you want to talk about guys name Guman reffing games up in happy valley back in the day, you might have something...

I know all about it Titus!! Notice SMF sitting next to the two ACC bigwigs who have fixed the game...this is basically every Pitt game to the denizens in these parts..

Last edited:

Just college football. College basketball refs aren't employed by conferences which is how it should be

They just might protect Clemson, they won't want Pitt beating Clemson and the ACC not having a team in the playoffs. Because Pitt will get a bowl. $$$$$$$$

Don't mistake flat out incompetence for any kind of conspiracy. In pro and college football 99.999% of the bad calls are due to incompetence, the refs are mostly middle aged jagoffs who can't keep up with the speed of today's game, ref as a part time job so they're not really up to date on rule interpretations, and/or only reffing because who they know or who their daddy is. That both college and pro use a bunch of lawyers, plumbing supply salesman and so on to officiate their billion dollar business is kind of nuts. Also these football refs never get fired or asked not to ref anymore, it took the guy who screwed up the Steelers - Lions Thanksgiving coin tackling someone running into the end zone to be politely told to hang up his whistle, flag and beanbag.

Now in baseball, basketball and hockey you get umps/refs who make calls they think will make the league happy, most famously is the Lakes - Kings playoff game years ago or the strike zone in the Pirates - Cubs playoff game.

More likely they will try to screw Pitt.

[QUOTE="goalieman, post: 2486452, Virginia wins the Coastal with a 9-3 record which is a better record then Pitt could have.[/QUOTE]

Who knew......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT