Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
SEC
Big Ten
ACC
Big 12

Start their own tournament outside of the NCAA. This is the "CFP model."

40% of those leagues are guaranteed a bid. That's 7/18 for ACC and B10. That's 6/16 for B12 and SEC. That's 26 auto bids. Invite all the other conferences and split money very unevenly (like CFP). That's 27 more auto bids. If you want to keep it at a 68 team tournament, that's 15 more spots for the either more P4 teams or teams from the MWC, Big East, WCC, American, A10, and the perennial loser of the MVC Championship game. Also, and this is perhaps the most important: since this is not an NCAA event, you can have a selection committe comprised of basketball people who are instructed to watch games instead of AD's who have 80 hour/week jobs and dont have time to watch any.

The Mountain West is ruining this tournament and college basketball in general. Its time for the P4 to take their ball and form their own and invite 2 or 3 MWC teams.

SEC
Big Ten
ACC
Big 12

40% of those leagues are guaranteed a bid. That's 7/18 for ACC and B10. That's 6/16 for B12 and SEC. That's 26 auto bids. Invite all the other conferences and split money very unevenly (like CFP). That's 27 more auto bids. If you want to keep it at a 68 team tournament, that's 15 more spots for the either more P4 teams or teams from the MWC, Big East, WCC, American, A10, and the perennial loser of the MVC Championship game. Also, and this is perhaps the most important: since this is not an NCAA event, you can have a selection committe comprised of basketball people who are instructed to watch games instead of AD's who have 80 hour/week jobs and dont have time to watch any.

The Mountain West is ruining this tournament and college basketball in general. It’s time for the P4 to take their ball and form their own and invite 2 or 3 MWC teams.
Your thread title is misleading and people may reply differently if they just read the title.

With that being said, I’m not totally opposed to your idea. The Big East should be be included as a P5. Outside of that, all you’re doing is limiting the MWC and the occasional mid major conference with two good teams.

Ehhh. Football should just break off. Do they acknowledge and NCAA F1 football championship yet? Form two leagues of 48 and be done with it. Then go back to all the traditional conferences for all the other sports. And if that means Pitt is in the Big East then so be it.

In other words leave hoops alone.

Last edited:
Your thread title is misleading and people may reply differently if they just read the title.

With that being said, I’m not totally opposed to your idea. The Big East should be be included as a P5. Outside of that, all you’re doing is limiting the MWC and the occasional mid major conference with two good teams.

I'd be ok in including the Big East. However, part of the play here is to downgrade the Big East to the benefit of the P4.

If I am a P4, Im thinking what do we need this for? We are the ones drawing the money and you are putting in Boise friggin State, who went 20-10? And Indiana State almost made it whose entire resume was going 1-2 vs Drake. The bigger thing though is to have basketball people pick the field......and to keep most of the money.

So the MWC team doesn’t get an L there. That game never happened at all, I guess. You’re an incredibly stupid human

Yep, they walked into the gym with the L. Dayton got lucky as heck. I posted that before the game, how mad I was that they got an MWC game and probable win.

Yep, they walked into the gym with the L. Dayton got lucky as heck. I posted that before the game, how mad I was that they got an MWC game and probable win.
So they won the game or not? Because there was either a winner and a loser and Dayton has a win against the field and MwC has another loss or neither happened. It can’t be both just to fit your narratives

So they won the game or not? Because there was either a winner and a loser and Dayton has a win against the field and MwC has another loss or neither happened. It can’t be both just to fit your narratives

I think you know I meant before the field was announced. I give them 0 credit for beating an MWC team. Heck, I picked them because I know basketball and I know the MWC blows.

I think you know I meant before the field was announced. I give them 0 credit for beating an MWC team. Heck, I picked them because I know basketball and I know the MWC blows.
You have proven time and again, beyond a shadow of a doubt, you know absolutely nothing about college hoops. Please keep sending picks! I can retire early fading you!

Reactions: Phil_First Four
SEC
Big Ten
ACC
Big 12

The Mountain West is ruining this tournament and college basketball in general. Its time for the P4 to take their ball and form their own and invite 2 or 3 MWC teams.
No, no, no, a thousand times no. For many reasons including the most important, why tamper with a near-perfect tournament?
My man, you have way too much time on your hands.

If you do not think the possibilities of upsets in the early rounds are not a big draw how about comparing the viewership of these "super" conferences tournaments to the first weekend and see how that plays out. That is what draws the eyeballs, maybe have Kentucky and Auburn play better so they don't get knocked out. Anyone who has attended the first weekend tournament knows, even if very unlikely if an upset is brewing the crowd is almost entirely for that underdog and you would NEVER get that with just the 4 conferences

Reactions: TD_6082 and 4upmc
If you do not think the possibilities of upsets in the early rounds are not a big draw how about comparing the viewership of these "super" conferences tournaments to the first weekend and see how that plays out. That is what draws the eyeballs, maybe have Kentucky and Auburn play better so they don't get knocked out. Anyone who has attended the first weekend tournament knows, even if very unlikely if an upset is brewing the crowd is almost entirely for that underdog and you would NEVER get that with just the 4 conferences

I am saying form your own tournament and invite the champs of those MM leagues. They wont say no.

I agree with everything you said. But, that’s not what SMF was proposing. His title is misleading.

What they should do...but never will...is just eliminate the committee and give the bids out based off of how well each conference has done the past few years. Its already how they demonstrate the revenue units anyway. And its also how they do it in European soccer. The same should be for football instead of the super league the B10 and SEC are trying to impose despite the Big 10 being no better than the ACC. Just like all the championships since the CFP and BCS started it will be a fraud.

Wanted to play this out if this hypocritical P4-owned tournament took place this year and assuming next year's conference switches were in place this year.

ACC bids (7)
UNC
Duke
Clemson
UVa
NC St
Pitt
Wake

B10 bids (7)
Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Nebraska
Michigan State
Oregon

B12 bids (6)
Houston
Iowa St
Arizona
Baylor
Kansas
TT

SEC (6)
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Kentucky
South Carolina
Texas

15 at-large spots left for the following teams to compete for:

5 MWC teams
Creighton
Marquette
SJU
SHU
Prov
BYU
TCU
Colorado
Oklahoma
Florida
Miss St
Texas A&M
Wash St
Gonzaga
Indiana State
Dayton
FAU

Most importantly, basketball people would be employed to pick these 15 so I'd think if they watched the games like they are PAID to do, Dayton, FAU, Indiana St, and the MWC teams wouldn't have all made it. Maybe 2-3 more MWC teams. Maybe 1 of FAU/Dayton. I mean those were really bad losses in their tournament for teams whose resumes werent great anyway.

Any discussion that excludes the Big East is such a bad take. Very good basketball conference.

In your projected field for next year, does Uconn cease to exist???

Any discussion that excludes the Big East is such a bad take. Very good basketball conference.

In your projected field for next year, does Uconn cease to exist???

I'd be ok with adding them to this "lets have our own tournament" model. However, part of the play here is to keep more of the money and also to downgrade your competitors (ie Big East). The Big East champ gets the auto bid and there would be 15 spots for teams from the BE, MWC, and others including "extra teams" from the P4 who didnt get an allocated spot. You could also call this the "Champions League Model." FK would like this. The tops league have guaranteed spots. They dont have a guy like Lunardi lobbying for the Swiss league to get 4 bids because that league appears strong in the computers that year. American sports can learn so much from Europe. The way they do things is pretty perfect

SEC
Big Ten
ACC
Big 12

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Some day a Saudi is going to come and offer a multimillion tournament in Vegas where the winnings go to the players and that will be the end of the ncaa tournament

Greg Sankey is thinking like me. Not exactly. But he wants more P4 teams in. Love this quote

In a recent phone interview, Sankey acknowledged the tournament is one of the few things that bonds the disparate world of Division I together. "Nothing remains static," he told ESPN. "I think we have to think about the dynamics around Division I and the tournament."

He added that recent runs by UCLA from the First Four to the Final Four in 2021 and Syracuse's run to the round of 16 beginning with a play-in game in Dayton in 2018 show the caliber of power-conference teams on the fringe of the NCAA tournament.

"That just tells you that the bandwidth inside the top 50 is highly competitive," Sankey said. "We are giving away highly competitive opportunities for automatic qualifiers [from smaller leagues], and I think that pressure is going to rise as we have more competitive basketball leagues at the top end because of expansion."

He wants an extra round, which I dont agree with. But there are so many good teams now, so much parity due to the portal that you cant keep throwing in 9 MWC teams and these other undeserving teams like Dayton and FAU in favor of good P4 teams.

SEC
Big Ten
ACC
Big 12

NO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT