ADVERTISEMENT

Worst clock management I've ever seen

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
1st and Goal from the 3. 35 seconds left. 2 TO's. Need a TD to win. FG to tie. Instead of taking 4 shots at the win, they decided to bleed the clock down to almost 0 and live or die with 1 play. It worked but its the worst clock management I've ever seen.

It was bad. About as bad as taking the ball first given the new OT rules. The team who gets the ball first is effectively using three downs instead of four.

Yeah, forget the clock but your other comment is the real question, not sure why you would want the ball 1st in OT given the rules.

Yeah I missed the part about the clock. But it seemed like taking the ball first was done so out of habit from the old rules. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

With how gassed the 49ers D looked at the end of regulation, I can kind of understand why they took the ball.

If KC had 4th down in their own territory and had gotten the ball first, they may have just punted. They gave them that extra down. And then they obviously would have known to play for the TD, instead of the FG, themselves. I just don't get that one.

The clock was basically meaningless, once it went to 0 all they would do is switch end zones, no different than the end of the 1st or 3rd quarters.
I don't understand why they even use a clock in these playoff overtimes - it is meaningless. Just like college overtime, there will be no ties.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Lol - if someone didn’t know the playoff OT rules, they said them several times on the broadcast.

I was wondering how many people at the game didn’t know. Imagine paying….I don’t know…$20k for a ticket. Then thinking that the game was over if your team stopped them on that one play. Celebrating. Only to watch them go down the other end for second and goal.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
If KC had 4th down in their own territory and had gotten the ball first, they may have just punted. They gave them that extra down. And then they obviously would have known to play for the TD, instead of the FG, themselves. I just don't get that one.
True, but I think KC would have driven right down the field and scored.

You want the ball because you would be the 1st team to get the 3rd possession if the first exchange of posessions didnt end the game.

I get the slight unintended disadvantage of having an opponent in 4 down territory the whole way. But a turnover also wins it for you.

You want the ball because you would be the 1st team to get the 3rd possession if the first exchange of posessions didnt end the game.

I get the slight unintended disadvantage of having an opponent in 4 down territory the whole way. But a turnover also wins it for you.
Yeah, all that team has to do is kick a field goal, Butker is automatic from at minimum 55, while Moody is hit or miss.

As others mentioned, if the clock expired, it would’ve just gone to a 2OT.

I’m trying to think if there’s ever been another 2OT game (Super Bowl era) besides the Baltimore/Denver Divisional game in 2012? I don’t think the Miami/San Diego game in the 80s went 2OT, but I could be wrong.

I’m trying to think if there’s ever been another 2OT game (Super Bowl era) besides the Baltimore/Denver Divisional game in 2012? I don’t think the Miami/San Diego game in the 80s went 2OT, but I could be wrong.
I may have heard it wrong but I think one of the announcers at the end said the 7th longest postseason game in the NFL. I sure couldn’t tell you 6 longer ones though.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Each team getting the ball no matter what is new (thanks in part to Mahomes).

But I don’t think playoff OT quarters are. I think it’s always been treated like a “new game” from a clock standpoint. So it’s not even “double OT” per se. It’s just OT still at that point.

The KC-Miami playoff game in 1971 went 2 OT’s.

Reactions: Tanat
I'm sure it will be spun into something great because it was close at the end, but this game kind of sucked. At least for like 55 minutes.

Lol - if someone didn’t know the playoff OT rules, they said them several times on the broadcast.

I was wondering how many people at the game didn’t know. Imagine paying….I don’t know…$20k for a ticket. Then thinking that the game was over if your team stopped them on that one play. Celebrating. Only to watch them go down the other end for second and goal.

Yea, I didn't know. I was surprised when they actually had a clock in the 1st place. Thought that was odd. Since they had a clock, I assumed that it mattered but it obviously didnt.

Does the clock ever matter in playoff OT. What if SF punted, KC punted then SF got jt back and ran out of time on 2nd down. Do they get 3rd down in 2OT or does the 2OT start fresh with a kickoff?

Shanahan said they took the ball so they would hypothetically get it 3rd, and then the next score wins.

My problem is - let’s say SF scored a TD. And then KC scores to tie, knowing that SF would only need a FG - wouldn’t KC go for 2?

Yea, I didn't know. I was surprised when they actually had a clock in the 1st place. Thought that was odd. Since they had a clock, I assumed that it mattered but it obviously didnt.

Does the clock ever matter in playoff OT. What if SF punted, KC punted then SF got jt back and ran out of time on 2nd down. Do they get 3rd down in 2OT or does the 2OT start fresh with a kickoff?
It’s basically starting a new game, that’s what they said. No kickoff, because it’s just like the end of a quarter.

My question is whether if the 2nd OT ended in a tie, if it’s a new game, is that another halftime? And then a kickoff? I don’t think so, but no idea.

OVERTIME RULES FOR NFL POSTSEASON GAMES

Unlike regular season games, postseason games cannot end in a tie, so the overtime rules change slightly for the playoffs.

• If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period — or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended — the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.
  • There will be a two-minute intermission between each overtime period. There will not be a halftime intermission after the second period.
  • The captain who lost the first overtime coin toss will either choose to possess the ball or select which goal his team will defend, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred that choice.
  • Each team will have an opportunity to possess the ball in overtime.
  • Each team gets three timeouts during a half.
  • The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth regulation periods also apply at the end of a second or fourth overtime period.
  • If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is declared.

The clock might matter in OT on a windy day in an outdoor stadium where it would affect the kicking game. You might see teams calling timeouts or letting clock expire at end of quarter to take advantage of changing which direction they’re kicking.

Reactions: FireballZ
Shanahan said they took the ball so they would hypothetically get it 3rd, and then the next score wins.

My problem is - let’s say SF scored a TD. And then KC scores to tie, knowing that SF would only need a FG - wouldn’t KC go for 2?
I didn’t like the decision. Not only is there a decent chance the other team goes for 2 to negate your theoretical 3rd possession, but if you score first you’re giving them that extra down as they’ll be going for it on 4th every time until they get in scoring position.

Thought Shanahan should have called a TO before that last play. They weren’t ready

I think if the game went through 2 quarters, there would be a half time and then a new kick off.

True, but I think KC would have driven right down the field and scored.
Yeah exactly. If you don’t take the ball first you run the risk of never getting the ball. Unless the playoff rules are different and I don’t know them just like SMF?

Edit: thanks NC for posting the rules.

Reactions: NCPitt

It's not a slight unintended disadvantage... it's a huge disadvantage.

I don't agree with thinking three possessions ahead. Teams that get the ball first are way less aggressive; you may have held KC to 3 or even 0.

How many people don't know the rules in this thread is wild.
On the clock situation, CBS did a horrible job by not talking about it until there was 30ish seconds left in OT1, then Romo included it in his stream of consciousness ramblings and I can see where people had no idea what he was talking about.

On the clock situation, CBS did a horrible job by not talking about it until there was 30ish seconds left in OT1, then Romo included it in his stream of consciousness ramblings and I can see where people had no idea what he was talking about.

I definitely missed the clock explanation. And the only reason I knew the game couldn't end if the first team scored a touchdown was because I thought to myself there is no way they can do that in the Super Bowl and then Googled it to find that they recently changed the rule. But if you're watching with other people, as I was and I'm sure many others were doing, you don't always hear everything they say.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

KC’s players said that their approach all postseason was that if they got to OT, they wanted the ball second and they’d go for two if they scored a TD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT