ADVERTISEMENT

Wow so it seems that other than UPitt89 and a few others, this board has embraced Stallings now

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
This coaching hire is ridiculous. I emailed Dejan and asked him why Barnes would hire someone like this. He replied back that it makes no sense to everyone and he is disappointed with Zeise trying to spin the hire.

And that's another thing, Paul Zeise was totally trying to spin this crap hire. His twitter today confirmed that.

Also after some initial anger by many on here, I am reading mostly posts that hope Stallings does this or that. Remember, he has done WORSE THAN JAMIE in the postseason. This hire failed to meet every bit of the criteria that Barnes outlined a week ago.

I sense a defeatist attitude on here. Not by all but by more than I would have thought. It's 1 thing if this is the kind of hire we were expecting, that Barnes told us long before. It wasn't. Barnes lied to us and we should stand up and do something. Keep flooding his office with calls and letters and emails. Use social media, etc... Settling for this guy is wrong and Pitt fans were used in this game.

Plenty of people still don't like it. But what are you expecting exactly? You wanna mount up and storm the Cathedral? The Pete? A sit in at the towers??

He's the coach. Many are Pitt fans and will try to ride with him and give him a chance. Some may truly be done.

What do you propose that hasn't already been done? People have called/emailed/tweeted. Posted on Facebook. That ship has sailed my man.

I've just come to the realization that is not not Kevin Stallings fault at all , this is 100% on Scott Barnes , Stallings is just trying to keep making money doing what he loves while also being closer to his son , I love this program and am willing to see what happens , although i don't like the hire at all either

I hate the hire.

But what is to actually be done?
Vote with your wallet is all.

You screamed for years to get rid of Dixon, how'd that work?
I had no clue that Barnes would hire an older much worse version of Jamie. How could I have known that? Heck give us a mid major coach that's hungry to prove himself. Plus again, Pitt fans were lied to, in every facet. That makes it especially worse in my eyes.

Last edited:
I've just come to the realization that is not not Kevin Stallings fault at all , this is 100% on Scott Barnes , Stallings is just trying to keep making money doing what he loves while also being closer to his son , I love this program and am willing to see what happens , although i don't like the hire at all either
I don't blame Stallings and never said my anger is geared towards him on this. We were puppets and treated like garbage by an AD who lied to us as fans. I sent in 20k last year and was planning on giving a little more this year because of the "exciting new coach". Now nothing.

Hate the hire all you want, but you have to hope that he is a success and that fans (especially The Zoo) show up at games. If they lose the support from the students, they lose one of their best recruiting trips. String a few poor seasons together and they will get in a rut that'll be tough to get out of.

I had no clue that Dixon would hire an older much worse version of Jamie. How could I have known that? Heck give us a mid major coach that's hungry to prove himself. Plus again, Pitt fans were lied to, in every facet. That makes it especially worse in my eyes.

Dixon didn't hire anyone! ;)

This coaching hire is ridiculous. I emailed Dejan and asked him why Barnes would hire someone like this. He replied back that it makes no sense to everyone and he is disappointed with Zeise trying to spin the hire.

And that's another thing, Paul Zeise was totally trying to spin this crap hire. His twitter today confirmed that.

Also after some initial anger by many on here, I am reading mostly posts that hope Stallings does this or that. Remember, he has done WORSE THAN JAMIE in the postseason. This hire failed to meet every bit of the criteria that Barnes outlined a week ago.

I sense a defeatist attitude on here. Not by all but by more than I would have thought. It's 1 thing if this is the kind of hire we were expecting, that Barnes told us long before. It wasn't. Barnes lied to us and we should stand up and do something. Keep flooding his office with calls and letters and emails. Use social media, etc... Settling for this guy is wrong and Pitt fans were used in this game.

I'm disappointed and concerned this hire is a mistake. But I really hope my concern is wrong and that's what I'll be rooting for.

Reactions: cabe23
I'm disappointed and concerned this hire is a mistake. But I really hope my concern is wrong and that's what I'll be rooting for.
But DT hear me out, even if miraculously Stallings turns out to be great, the AD totally lied to all of us. Add to that the shadiness of the search firm part and something doesn't smell right. This AD can never be taken seriously or trusted again AND if things get worse for us(which looks more probable than the other way around) all he'll do is bolt for another job, leaving Pitt high and dry.

We really got hosed here buddy.

I had no clue that Dixon would hire an older much worse version of Jamie. How could I have known that? Heck give us a mid major coach that's hungry to prove himself. Plus again, Pitt fans were lied to, in every facet. That makes it especially worse in my eyes.

I think you meant Barnes not Dixon in your first sentence here. And not to defend Barnes, but I don't ever recall his saying that he was going to hire a "hungry mid-major" coach to replace Dixon. Stallings was a sitting coach and plays a slightly more up tempo game.

Look Poker, I'm not calling you out per se, but you've been one of the more vocal posters this year, inferring that we might need a coaching change. Obviously AD Barnes wasn't paying attention to who you wanted!! ;)

I think you meant Barnes not Dixon in your first sentence here. And not to defend Barnes, but I don't ever recall his saying that he was going to hire a "hungry mid-major" coach to replace Dixon. Stallings was a sitting coach and plays a slightly more up tempo game.

Look Poker, I'm not calling you out per se, but you've been one of the more vocal posters this year, inferring that we might need a coaching change. Obviously AD Barnes wasn't paying attention to who you wanted!! ;)
Well I know this Moe, if a beat writer like Dejan is totally shocked and upset with this hire - then I am definitely not alone in my dismay:(:(:(:(

I had no clue that Barnes would hire an older much worse version of Jamie. How could I have known that? Heck give us a mid major coach that's hungry to prove himself. Plus again, Pitt fans were lied to, in every facet. That makes it especially worse in my eyes.

I think you're going to find that Stallings is definitely not an older version of Jamie.

Reactions: PittPoker
Like lots of insecure hires in top positions, Barnes felt a need to make his mark with his own guys.

He drove the most successful coach in the program's history out in order to do so.

Pitt will now languish near the bottom of the conference like it use to do in the BE before Howland came.

Pitt alumni will soon forget basketball and rally around CBI-level football bowl games.

Basketball fans will adopt another team.

I don't get why people keep saying Barnes will bolt for another job. If Stallings fails here, Barnes's P5 AD days are over, period. Such an apathetic, mind boggling, despised by the entire fanbase hire that turns out a failure will not have alot of P5 schools looking in his direction. Maybe Franciscan University of Steubenville, Maybe.

I don't get why people keep saying Barnes will bolt for another job. If Stallings fails here, Barnes's P5 AD days are over, period. Such an apathetic, mind boggling, despised by the entire fanbase hire that turns out a failure will not have alot of P5 schools looking in his direction. Maybe Franciscan University of Steubenville, Maybe.

Because of the search firm. Tit-for-tat. Short memories.

I don't think anyone really likes it, and the way it all happened is particularly troublesome, but he's not the worst coach on earth and I hope it works out. I'm pretty pissed at Barnes though.

I guess, but in the end the search firm doesn't do the hiring. As in SP, when he left Neb. I believe Pitt was the only school to come a calling, but I may be wrong.

Just as in this hire, the search firm can put the candidates out there, but someone who truly wants the best hire says, "That guy may be on your list, but not mine!" However, with that said, who knows what back room deals go on to further one's own self interests.

Also, I keep seeing the Stallings/Turner connections, but did Stallings and Barnes have a past relationship somewhere along the line? Asking because I really do not know?

Once names started leaking out, it became pretty clear that for a guy who claimed to not care about winning press conferences -- he totally wanted to win the post-Dixon press conference. He just hit on all the popular talking points, said they'd address them, then went and did his own thing.

Actually, other than UP89 and a few others, INCLUDING YOU, most people have vented what they wanted to vent and have decided to act like adults and give this hire a chance. In reality there is not much else to do.Continuing to hijack every post with insults and snarky comments is not an option for grown ups. Get it Pittpoker?

What is the use in not supporting Stallings and the program? I'm warming up to the idea of him as our coach. But even if I wasn't, what good would continuing to rage about the situation do? Withholding support only damages the university. Stallings will be the coach for the duration, with or without our support.

The die is cast. I'd be careful with Zeise. His son is at Pitt on a FB scholie. Paul's usually pretty level-headed, but he doesn't want to lose access. He's not that great on hoops, anyway, but the P-G can't have him covering FB right now. He's in a tight spot.....and no, I don't think he'd lie.

Keatts and wade didn't get an interview with Pitt? It's really a shame. I don't think the Pete will be the same for years to come

how do we know this? Keatts might be involved in that mess w Lousiville, and Barnes has been up front about wanting a head coach with experience. I'm not thrilled with Stallings, but was more upset in 2003 with the Dixon hire and that was a great 8 year run he had.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I'm actually really happy Poker is being consistent. I hope KS wins games, but I'm never going to forgive Barnes or his administration for this shitshow. I don't imagine the KS era is going to last six seasons, and I'm not going to pretend to be a fan of his just because he's ours.

Reactions: UPitt '89
I don't blame Stallings and never said my anger is geared towards him on this. We were puppets and treated like garbage by an AD who lied to us as fans. I sent in 20k last year and was planning on giving a little more this year because of the "exciting new coach". Now nothing.
20K huh? Sure, sure you were

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
But DT hear me out, even if miraculously Stallings turns out to be great, the AD totally lied to all of us. Add to that the shadiness of the search firm part and something doesn't smell right. This AD can never be taken seriously or trusted again AND if things get worse for us(which looks more probable than the other way around) all he'll do is bolt for another job, leaving Pitt high and dry.

We really got hosed here buddy.
When did he lie to us?

Be disappointed with the hire. But he said he's looking for an uptempo offense and a strong recruiter. He seems to have landed that with Stallings. The hyperbole is strong on this board.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...he-best-offensive-coach-in-college-basketball

Well I know this Moe, if a beat writer like Dejan is totally shocked and upset with this hire - then I am definitely not alone in my dismay:(:(:(:(

Dejan Kovacevic doesn't know if a basketball is blown up or stuffed. He should stick to hockey.

Once the whys, whens, how much are explained by Barnes, Pitt fans have no choice but to embrace Stallings and I am fine with critics or welcomers and almost every game and loss has critics and praisers, sports evokes emotions among fans. Everybody wants the best for Pitt and Stalling is not the problem as far as I was ever concern. We will know more by 3PM and that is will be what it will be?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT