ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL Baseball - 1st Round Picks

TheSpecialSauce

Chancellor
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2019
Will Bednar is the fifth player from the WPIAL in the past seven years to be selected in the first round. Two were picked out of high school: Alex Kirilloff of Plum at No. 15 in 2016, and Austin Hendrick of West Allegheny at No. 12 in 2020. Two were picked out of college: Mt. Lebanon’s Ian Happ out of Cincinnati at No. 9 in 2015, and Blackhawk’s Brendan McKay out of Louisville at No. 4 in 2017.

Will Bednar is the fifth player from the WPIAL in the past seven years to be selected in the first round. Two were picked out of high school: Alex Kirilloff of Plum at No. 15 in 2016, and Austin Hendrick of West Allegheny at No. 12 in 2020. Two were picked out of college: Mt. Lebanon’s Ian Happ out of Cincinnati at No. 9 in 2015, and Blackhawk’s Brendan McKay out of Louisville at No. 4 in 2017.
I am kinda learning that Western PA is a crazy good baseball area doing the youth baseball thing. People LOVE baseball around here. That's probably why the Pirates remain so profitable. People cant stop watching the Pirates. Some try but they cant. They just LOVE baseball.

If I’m not mistaken, there was a major WPIAL first round drought from Tim Conroy in the late 70s until Neil Walker was taken in 2004. During that drought period, two guys from Jefferson/Clearfield County went in the first round — John Mizerock (Punxsutawney) and Jim Pittsley (DuBois). You then had Devin Mesoraco from Punxsutawney in 2007. Pound for pound, per capita, or whatever you want to call it, that area might be the best in the state. You also had Joe Beimel from Saint Mary’s have a long big league career.

If I’m not mistaken, there was a major WPIAL first round drought from Tim Conroy in the late 70s until Neil Walker was taken in 2004. During that drought period, two guys from Jefferson/Clearfield County went in the first round — John Mizerock (Punxsutawney) and Jim Pittsley (DuBois). You then had Devin Mesoraco from Punxsutawney in 2007. Pound for pound, per capita, or whatever you want to call it, that area might be the best in the state. You also had Joe Beimel from Saint Mary’s have a long big league career.
I've always kind of thought that Central PA or however you can descibe that swath of wilderness is unusually good given its small population. Its interesting to see these rural teams beat the big bad suburban teams in HS and youth tournaments. That really doesn't happen in other major sports. I remember being at a relative's baseball game vs a team from Lock Haven or whatever and they made them look silly. I was shocked.

I've always kind of thought that Central PA or however you can descibe that swath of wilderness is unusually good given its small population. Its interesting to see these rural teams beat the big bad suburban teams in HS and youth tournaments. That really doesn't happen in other major sports. I remember being at a relative's baseball game vs a team from Lock Haven or whatever and they made them look silly. I was shocked.
Lock Haven had a little league team that IIRC went to the LLWS about ten years ago.

The DuBois/Punxsutawney “District 9” area is Western PA all the way. Not until you get to Altoona/State College/BELLEFONTE is it considered Central PA. But you are correct. The District 9 schools have always had very good baseball. You should see the youth baseball and softball facilities in DuBois. I have never seen anything nicer except in Texas.

The DuBois/Punxsutawney “District 9” area is Western PA all the way. Not until you get to Altoona/State College/BELLEFONTE is it considered Central PA. But you are correct. The District 9 schools have always had very good baseball. You should see the youth baseball and softball facilities in DuBois. I have never seen anything nicer except in Texas.
Geographically, they are in the Western half of the state but culturally and socioeconomically they are Central PA/Pennsyltucky in my opinion.

PA is really 3 different states. Pittsburgh and suburbs, Philly and suburbs, and then everything else

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT