ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling beat okst

plcp

Assistant Coach
May 29, 2001
Won in heavyweight match. Dont know squat about wrestling but I think this was an impressive win. Any followers have insight?

PITT was supposed to win this dual meet but there were some good signs IMO.

The team is ahead of schedule and off to a great start.

The key to winning a wrestling dual meet is to score bonus team points and don't give up bonus team points.

The great wrestlers should score Tech Falls 5 team pts, or Falls/Pins 6 team pts, good wrestlers who will have close bouts must win, and the bad wrestlers have to avoid giving up Tech Falls or Fall/Pins.

In two bouts OU scored a Tech Fall worth 5 team pts, and a Fall worth 6 team pts. That happens but it's important for PITT wrestlers not to give up bonus team pts.
A medicore wrestler can help their team win by avoiding a Tech Fall or Pin and lose by a regular decision giving up just 3 team pts.

Three PITT wrestlers pulled out close bouts:
157lbs 3-2
184lbs 7-5
197lbs 4-3
Those were three key bouts giving PITT 9 team pts which won the dual meet for PITT.

Close wrestling bouts can go either way and can cause large swings in the final team score.
Not to mention if the team score ends up in a tie, bouts won are a key criteria for determining the winniing team.

PITT's HW scored a Tech Fall in his bout.
A TF or Pin was expected in that bout.

PITT should have won by more but the OU win was a solid win.

Teams involved in a close dual meet don't want to have a tie score since determining a team winner based on Criterion is a crap shoot.
Penalty pts come into play, number of bouts won is a key criteria, as well as bouts won by TF and Pin pts.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
had to read that twice. Thanks for the info.
HS and college wrestling are very involved complicated sports.
A lot of stuff is happens really fast.
The wrestling athletes are some of the most dedicated physical and mental athletes on the planet.
The amazing part of the story is they wrestle for their team, and themselves since there isn't pro level next step.
Some elite athletes go to the Olympics and most others go home with great memories!
Mine was can I still make the Frat party after a Friday or Saturday dual meet.

Reactions: plcp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT