ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Saturday?

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Apparently, Flo Wrestling is sponsoring some kind of wrestling tournament on Saturday. I saw a press release from Cornell that both Kyle Dake and Vito Arujau are wrestling. It’s a subscription-only event. I would think that if it is in Texas, Bo Nickel will be competing.

It also says that Vito will be a sophomore in the 2020-21 season (if there is one). Did he take an Olympic redshirt last season like Yanni did? If not, he should be a junior since in his freshman season he placed 4th in Pittsburgh. In any case, he is a terrific Olympic-style wrestler. He got a TF over Piccannini of Oklahoma State in 1:04 and two TFs over Roman Bravo-Young in under 3 minutes.

Reactions: persp
Our new assistant Pletcher is wrestling agaisnt Darian Caldwell. Super excited to see that. Caldwell is currently a highly succesful MMA fighter in Bellator but was NCAA champ back in 2009 (personally one of my all time favorites vs. Metcalf, it is a must watch if you haven't seen it)

Dake vs Chamizo is the headliner

Fake vs Chamizo(world champion)
Mueller vs Roman Bravo Young
Pletcher vs Caldwell
Taylor vs Martin
Arujau vs Alvarez
If anyone is a wrestling fan, join Flo wrestling site. $150/ year. You get to see all kinds of wrestling such as this event, college matches, lots of international matches, Pittsburgh wrestling classic, many big high school matches as well as many other matches. Well worth the investment. Watching Dake vs Chamzio is worth half of this cost by itself.

Reactions: omega
I’m assuming this is going to be international freestyle rather than college style. All of these guys are experienced at that. Vito appears much better at it actually. Dake seems to have adjusted to it well.

Wow, Taylor completely dominated his match. The Dake match was exciting.

Yea Taylor absolutely steam rolled Myles Martin. Agreed very strategic match between Dake and Chamizo who I thought might get that last second takedown for the win but Dake is just so hard to score on

Our new assistant Pletcher is wrestling agaisnt Darian Caldwell. Super excited to see that. Caldwell is currently a highly succesful MMA fighter in Bellator but was NCAA champ back in 2009 (personally one of my all time favorites vs. Metcalf, it is a must watch if you haven't seen it)

Dake vs Chamizo is the headliner

2009. Time is just flying.

How many big matches will Myles Martin get totally annihilated in before he realizes he never will be the best in his weight class?

How many big matches will Myles Martin get totally annihilated in before he realizes he never will be the best in his weight class?

Lol he got teched by the best guy in the world who basically destroys everyone. Myles is ranked like #8 in the world and beat Alex Deringer last year I think he is just fine at this point in his career.

You think Martin ever will be among the top three Americans in his weight class? His career peaked as a freshman at tOSU. And, his win over Nickal that year was a fluke. Nickal went for what would have been a 5 point move or a pin, his foot slipped, he ended up on his back and Martin got the 5. He never beat Nickal again. Nickal beat him in duals, at the B10 championship and in the NCAAs.

He finished 5th in the NCAAs as a sophomore; Nickal pinned him in the 1st period when they were juniors; and he finished 3rd as a senior. He is a very good wrestler, but if he ever represents this country in a major tournament we are in trouble. He was only in the tourney in Texas because Pat Downey withdrew. He is #8 now and his ceiling is probably #5.

Mike, I would have liked to see Taylor wrestle Downey. Taylor mentioned a few times his great dislike for Downey and how he wanted to prove he was the better man in the match.

Reactions: kirbycroft
You think Martin ever will be among the top three Americans in his weight class? His career peaked as a freshman at tOSU. And, his win over Nickal that year was a fluke. Nickal went for what would have been a 5 point move or a pin, his foot slipped, he ended up on his back and Martin got the 5. He never beat Nickal again. Nickal beat him in duals, at the B10 championship and in the NCAAs.

He finished 5th in the NCAAs as a sophomore; Nickal pinned him in the 1st period when they were juniors; and he finished 3rd as a senior. He is a very good wrestler, but if he ever represents this country in a major tournament we are in trouble. He was only in the tourney in Texas because Pat Downey withdrew. He is #8 now and his ceiling is probably #5.

He's probably in the top 3 of the weight class now. Taylor is clear #1 but then who after that? Pat Downey lol. He already beat Deringer who is the clear #2 behind Dake at 79kg. Ill take Martin over Pat Downey and Nick Hefflin who are 2nd and 3rd basically at his weight right now if he stays at 86. And if he drops down to 79 he is in the top three again. Dake is the clear 1 then you have a battle between Martin, Zahid and Ringer who he's already beaten so long story shot yea i think he's already on the level to be top 3 in America

Reactions: kirbycroft
Mike, I would have liked to see Taylor wrestle Downey. Taylor mentioned a few times his great dislike for Downey and how he wanted to prove he was the better man in the match.

Sometimes Taylor acts like a pro wrestler, talking down his opponents to promote the match. But, he backs it up. He said he wanted to “smash” Downey and beat him 30-0. It was an interesting comment because that’s an impossible score in freestyle. I would like to have seen that match also, but I think Taylor now is head and shoulders above anyone else at that weight. I also think his toolbox of moves makes him very hard to defend.

As for Martin, our self-anointed expert here dismisses Downey as inferior to him. He apparently didn’t watch Downey score 9 points in 90 seconds against Martin in the national team semifinals. He also derides Derringer in the basis of Martin having a win over him. I guess one win in 3 matches against Derringer establishes him as the superior wrestler.

Sometimes Taylor acts like a pro wrestler, talking down his opponents to promote the match. But, he backs it up. He said he wanted to “smash” Downey and beat him 30-0. It was an interesting comment because that’s an impossible score in freestyle. I would like to have seen that match also, but I think Taylor now is head and shoulders above anyone else at that weight. I also think his toolbox of moves makes him very hard to defend.

As for Martin, our self-anointed expert here dismisses Downey as inferior to him. He apparently didn’t watch Downey score 9 points in 90 seconds against Martin in the national team semifinals. He also derides Derringer in the basis of Martin having a win over him. I guess one win in 3 matches against Derringer establishes him as the superior wrestler.

Lol I'm not an expert never sad I was just a fan and I did watch that match. Downey won 9-7. Ill still take Martin over him as that was right when Martin got out of college and has now had time to commit to freestyle fulltime. Also Taylor said he wanted to have a no tech fall match with Downey and thats why he said that but since you know everything you probably just forgot that fact. Also i used Martin's winnover Ringer to say how good I think Martin was not how bad Ringer as as I clearly said he was the #2 at his class in the US behind Dake genius

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT