ADVERTISEMENT

You tube tv

mike 301

Head Coach
Jan 30, 2013
My son just the other day called me an raved about getting Youtube tv ..
Anyone familiar with it ? I had heard of it but didn't know if I can just purchase standard internet through xfinity or does verizon offer something similar to get just internet to switch to something like this .. Thanks for the heads up in advance .

We switched to Youtube TV several months ago. There is a wide selection of programming that also includes Freevee. Some of the FreeVee is the same as YouTube but also has a lot of different programming including many classic TV shows.

YouTube does include the ACC network but not AT&T Sportsnet. The reception quality is excellent. We subscribe to Spectrum internet and subscribe to YouTube TV using regular internet. We have been very pleased with the programming and cost, although we are expecting a subscription increase next month. There is no contract so you can cancel anytime. Hope this helps.

Reactions: mike 301
It’s pretty much just like having cable with a similar interface. I usually have it end of August to early April (college football to the end of March madness). That being said, I only use it to watch sports and I may be looking for a cheaper option come August given the rate increase. I may have to suck it up and go back to Sling. I don’t like their interface and their pricing structure but I’m cheap, ha.

Reactions: Dan1911
I switched from comcast Wi-Fi and cable tv, $225.00 a month to t mobile Wi-Fi at $50.00 a month and Hulu at $82.00 a month, I cut my bill around $95 per month and there’s only 1 channel I got on comcast that I don’t get on Hulu, I’m happy with the change, t mobile Wi-Fi, no taxes, never a rate increase. Straight $50.00

Thanks all . Well since my post I received a notice from Xfinity .
My upcoming bill is right around 250 ...
I mean I might watch 5 channels total ...
Which five channels are they? The best option for you might be to get an antenna and then subscribe to a service like ESPN+, although the downside to that is not being able to access the ACC Network.

We switched to Youtube TV several months ago. There is a wide selection of programming that also includes Freevee. Some of the FreeVee is the same as YouTube but also has a lot of different programming including many classic TV shows.

YouTube does include the ACC network but not AT&T Sportsnet. The reception quality is excellent. We subscribe to Spectrum internet and subscribe to YouTube TV using regular internet. We have been very pleased with the programming and cost, although we are expecting a subscription increase next month. There is no contract so you can cancel anytime. Hope this helps.
Are you sure that Freevee comes with Youtube? I'm pretty sure that it comes with Prime.

Reactions: cease10
My son just the other day called me an raved about getting Youtube tv ..
Anyone familiar with it ? I had heard of it but didn't know if I can just purchase standard internet through xfinity or does verizon offer something similar to get just internet to switch to something like this .. Thanks for the heads up in advance .
YoutubeTV has everything I need with lots of sports and unlimited DVR space. I guess the only thing missing is Pittsburgh-specific pro sports, but I don't watch them anyhow.

They did just raise their prices this month to $73.

Reactions: ShipofFools
Are you sure that Freevee comes with Youtube? I'm pretty sure that it comes with Prime.
You may be right. My other half takes care of that. She is a Prime subscriber too and we get FreeVee. I thought it came with YouTube. I watch YouTube alot more than FreeVee. Either way, YouTube suits us well.

Anyone with a firestick gets freevee. Its just an app that anyone can get. If you have youtube TV not sure why you would use that anyways. Tubi and Pluto are just as good as freevee . They are apps that offer movies with ads.
you guys crack me up.

Anyone with a firestick gets freevee. Its just an app that anyone can get. If you have youtube TV not sure why you would use that anyways. Tubi and Pluto are just as good as freevee . They are apps that offer movies with ads.
you guys crack me up.
Freevee has old TV series that Tubi and Pluto don't have.

It also has original content.

Does YouTube TV have local channels?

That’s really the kicker for me. I would love to go HD Antenna and drop most everything else. But even though I’m just 5 miles from downtown, I’m on the backside of a big hill and get nearly zero channels.

Yes. Best thing I like about YTTV is having in on every smart tv, phone or computer. When I travel I can still watch. It asks if you are traveling, confirm and go back to watching. Best decision I made dumping dish and getting YTTV. Wife hated it at first, but figured it out quickly and never thinks about it again. We had like 250 channels and maybe watched 10-15. YTTV lets you toggle on what channels you want to appear and what order. Makes it easy.

Yes. That's one advantage over Sling. I had to get an antenna for the locals when I used Sling. Quality was variable with that and I had to switch back to the TV input. Was just kind of annoying for something I paid $50 for. Youtube is $70 and I don't have to switch, plus I get all the features like auto-recording and switching between devices.

Yes. That's one advantage over Sling. I had to get an antenna for the locals when I used Sling. Quality was variable with that and I had to switch back to the TV input. Was just kind of annoying for something I paid $50 for. Youtube is $70 and I don't have to switch, plus I get all the features like auto-recording and switching between devices.
Look up Air TV if you want locals with sling.

I switched from comcast Wi-Fi and cable tv, $225.00 a month to t mobile Wi-Fi at $50.00 a month and Hulu at $82.00 a month, I cut my bill around $95 per month and there’s only 1 channel I got on comcast that I don’t get on Hulu, I’m happy with the change, t mobile Wi-Fi, no taxes, never a rate increase. Straight $50.00
How has T-mobile wifi been working for you? Any cons?

I'm thinking about switching to them.

How has T-mobile wifi been working for you? Any cons?

I'm thinking about switching to them.
No problems at all, they will check your address to see if you’re in their range or something like that, I was good and have no regrets, works great

Reactions: cease10
I've been with YouTubeTV since 2018, switching from Dish Network. Below is everything I can think of to help you make a decision.

Cons:
  • Price. At over $70/mo, it is the most or one of the most expensive streaming providers.
  • No AT&T SportsNet. I live in Philly, so I wouldn't have that anyway. And it looks like that model will soon be changing anyway.
  • DVR recordings expire after 9 months.
  • If your internet is down, you have no access. However dish services are subject to weather (and hackers!), and cable services are subject to lines being down in wind, ice, etc. So there is no foolproof method. I think you can use your phone's hotspot as wifi to access YouTubeTV, but I'm not positive.
Pros:
  • Still much cheaper than Dish Network or cable alternatives.
  • Has every channel I have ever wanted to watch.
  • Has local channels.
  • Has unlimited DVR space (This is VERY important if you record a lot of sports.)
  • AWESOME DVR interface. For instance, you can choose Pitt football, or all NCAA football. You can choose USMNT, or a specific soccer tournament like the World Cup. You can choose a specific golf tournament, or all PGA golf, or all college golf. It is very customizable.
  • If a game changes date or time or channel, it doesn't matter. It will record it regardless.
  • ACC Network is provided.
  • Since ESPN is provided, you have access to all ESPN streaming inventory, including ACC Network. (Except ESPN+, which you need a subscription for no matter who your TV provider is.)
  • You can watch anytime, anyplace, on any device. You're limited to a certain number of concurrent screens viewing, but I've never reached the limit.
Hope that helps someone!

No problems at all, they will check your address to see if you’re in their range or something like that, I was good and have no regrets, works great
Ok thanks, will definitely be looking into making that switch. Tired of the Xfinity price hikes.

My main concern with switching was lower speeds, since I work from home. I see that they also have a 10 day trial in which you can cancel if not satisfied.

I'm in the same boat with Fios. Paying like $225, and the only thing I watch is sports. From now until football season, I'll barely have the TV on. And when I do, it's usually just me watching one of the apps; I hate cable television.

Pretty stupid of me not to shop around for something else.

After the recent $8 rate increase, my Fios/YTTV will be $160.88. I also got a year of HBO Max separately for $75 so I have every sports channel I need plus the HBO USMNT games and other shows. Even if cable was the same price, I wouldn't go back.

You know you could cut cable in your regular home and watch your "2nd home YTTV" in your regular home for free, right?
I’m using this as a tester before we make the full switch away from Xfinity. So far, I’m a believer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT