ADVERTISEMENT

You won't read a better article on Capel and this current basketball team.

Wow what an awesome article. My quick takes on it.

Capel mentioned that after the VCU game he said there were 2 horrendous teammates. I wonder who he meant.

He almost died from a flare up of crohn's disease. I have crohn's and it is no joke. I had surgery years ago and I've had it for over 30 years.

Hinson according to the article said he will be back next season. You know he could get some decent NIL money and would be in demand from other teams so that's good to read he said he'll be back. Hope he sticks to that.

Article talked about the short term for next year, top 25 recruiting class coming in, Hinson returning as well as Dior perhaps. I did notice no mention of Hugley coming back. I found that telling. I don't think he is coming back but for the writer to mention Dior, Hinson and not Hugley stood out to me.

Overall I loved reading this.

Capel mentioned that after the VCU game he said there were 2 horrendous teammates. I wonder who he meant.

He almost died from a flare up of crohn's disease. I have crohn's and it is no joke. I had surgery years ago and I've had it for over 30 years.

Hinson according to the article said he will be back next season. You know he could get some decent NIL money and would be in demand from other teams so that's good to read he said he'll be back. Hope he sticks to that.

Article talked about the short term for next year, top 25 recruiting class coming in, Hinson returning as well as Dior perhaps. I did notice no mention of Hugley coming back. I found that telling. I don't think he is coming back but for the writer to mention Dior, Hinson and not Hugley stood out to me.

I think we know who one of them was… not too hard to figure out…

Reactions: PittPoker
He says he, too, operates with a renewed gratitude, particularly after Lyke stuck by him last offseason. “It could have been easy for Heather to want to make a change,” he says. “And I’m sure she had a lot of heat and a lot of pressure from people to do that.” On her end, Lyke has been even more visible at practices and around the basketball offices. It’s a way to enrich a relationship, yes, but also to provide constant reassurance. “He’s got great confidence,” Lyke says of Capel. “But you get swayed a little bit when things don’t go perfectly.”

It's as if leadership matters.

He says he, too, operates with a renewed gratitude, particularly after Lyke stuck by him last offseason. “It could have been easy for Heather to want to make a change,” he says. “And I’m sure she had a lot of heat and a lot of pressure from people to do that.” On her end, Lyke has been even more visible at practices and around the basketball offices. It’s a way to enrich a relationship, yes, but also to provide constant reassurance. “He’s got great confidence,” Lyke says of Capel. “But you get swayed a little bit when things don’t go perfectly.”

It's as if leadership matters.
That’s a funny quote

Anyone know anything about the author Brian Hamilton? Maybe that's why the article was so well done because he isn't a local guy perhaps?

Reactions: Pittnerski

I didn’t know he had Crohn’s. I wonder if whatever medication or treatment regimen he’s on because of that played a role in him getting that super nasty case of covid last year or two years ago.

It also says how last year was really difficult for Capel, and his doctor said he should talk to a therapist. He didn’t want to, but decided he would go to oblige his doctor. He walked out of the first visit feeling great, and has stuck to it.

Also said he’s lost about 40 pounds since last year, which feels right. He looks better than he did last year.

Anyone know anything about the author Brian Hamilton? Maybe that's why the article was so well done because he isn't a local guy perhaps?
Hamilton’s one of The Athletic writers. He basically travels around the country profiling different programs and coaches for a few days at a time. He’s done a few others on Capel and Pitt in years prior.

Great article. Thanks for posting it. Been waiting for Pitt content like this ever since I subscribed to the Athletic and was beginning to lose faith that I’d ever see it.

Capel should hands down be ACC COY-and if we can make a little noise in March, possibly national COY.

Reactions: Ski11585 and 303vND
I didn’t know he had Crohn’s. I wonder if whatever medication or treatment regimen he’s on because of that played a role in him getting that super nasty case of covid last year or two years ago.

It also says how last year was really difficult for Capel, and his doctor said he should talk to a therapist. He didn’t want to, but decided he would go to oblige his doctor. He walked out of the first visit feeling great, and has stuck to it.

Also said he’s lost about 40 pounds since last year, which feels right. He looks better than he did last year.
And the best medicine has been winning. This job was obviously killing him until this year. Every Pitt fan has to be happy for him.

To me, maybe the most interesting info in the article was the impact of adding the staffer tasked solely with evaluating players in the portal. It was obviously no accident that we suddenly have a bunch of guys who can shoot and make FTs at a high level. I would think concentrating on moneyball type metrics would go a long way toward getting the right transfers. Hopefully we can keep it up.

Reactions: Ski11585
And the best medicine has been winning. This job was obviously killing him until this year. Every Pitt fan has to be happy for him.

To me, maybe the most interesting info in the article was the impact of adding the staffer tasked solely with evaluating players in the portal. It was obviously no accident that we suddenly have a bunch of guys who can shoot and make FTs at a high level. I would think concentrating on moneyball type metrics would go a long way toward getting the right transfers. Hopefully we can keep it up.
Yeah I’m surprised by that comment. They added 2 guys in 21 and no one new to the staff in 22…. Seems like that may be stretching the truth a bit there.

Yeah I’m surprised by that comment. They added 2 guys in 21 and no one new to the staff in 22…. Seems like that may be stretching the truth a bit there.
I think what he’s saying is that because of the guys they added before the 2021-22 season, they were better prepared when that season ended. Adding a guy in the offseason in 2022 doesn’t really help you as much when you’re building the roster because you need to get the new guy in. If they’re already in the building when the season ends, they can just go.

And, it’s clear that they were evaluating potential portal guys as the 2021-22 season was still being played, and having those guys allowed them to do that.

Reactions: FireballZ

The ironic part about this entire statement.

Jamarius Burton never shot better than 73% from the free throw line his 3 prior years to Pitt. He has shot 85% and 88% his last 2 years at Pitt.

This is Sibande's best shooting year ever from the line. He's shooting 84% this year. His 4 prior years were 73%, 69%, 82%, and 57%.

Nelly Cummings best FT % shooting year in college is this year, at 91%. His last 4 years he was 60%, 83%, 75%, and 82%.

Greg Elliot's 4 prior years to Pitt are 79%, 72%, 83%, and 88%. He is shooting 87% from the line this year.

Coaching appears to be working here just as much as recruiting. The evidence is in the above.

I think what he’s saying is that because of the guys they added before the 2021-22 season, they were better prepared when that season ended. Adding a guy in the offseason in 2022 doesn’t really help you as much when you’re building the roster because you need to get the new guy in. If they’re already in the building when the season ends, they can just go.

And, it’s clear that they were evaluating potential portal guys as the 2021-22 season was still being played, and having those guys allowed them to do that.
I heard in an interview on youtube that they made a database that compiles info on which kids are likely to transfer + has highlights on them & what coaches they're connected to

The ironic part about this entire statement.

Jamarius Burton never shot better than 73% from the free throw line his 3 prior years to Pitt. He has shot 85% and 88% his last 2 years at Pitt.

This is Sibande's best shooting year ever from the line. He's shooting 84% this year. His 4 prior years were 73%, 69%, 82%, and 57%.

Nelly Cummings best FT % shooting year in college is this year, at 91%. His last 4 years he was 60%, 83%, 75%, and 82%.

Greg Elliot's 4 prior years to Pitt are 79%, 72%, 83%, and 88%. He is shooting 87% from the line this year.

Coaching appears to be working here just as much as recruiting. The evidence is in the above.
Or having kids who want to be coached and are willing to work to improve. Personally I think thats what this staff learned the most. You need coachable kids who are willing to work and out the team first. They have to fit the culture. I think that’s what Duzz places a high emphasis on

A bad apple in FB won’t have as Great of an impact as one I’m hoops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT