ADVERTISEMENT

Younger vs. Older Players

88Pitt88

Freshman
Feb 12, 2016
Would it be so bad to try some of the younger higher rated guys we have who had some nice offers out of highschool? How much worse can they do? We haven't been competitive against any team that can throw the ball. Thank god Georgia Tech is a running team or our only win would be against Albany. We blew Kenny Pickett's redshirt last year and found out he could be pretty good. It is a shame that the Duzz didn't start playing him immediately after Max Browne went down. The Duzz is blowing an opportunity to find out right now if some of the younger players can develop into real players, instead playing the below the line upperclassmen and sticking with it despite no signs of improvement, only regression.

I have touched on playing Paris Ford numerous times for the defense. The Duzz's scheme does not fit the talent he has, but Ford could help. If he insists on staying with that scheme he is slowly sealing his own fate. I have seen Twyman and Alexander, but, our linebackers need to be way better. Recruiting in this area has been extremely deficient.

Over to the other side of the ball. Our O-line play is very weak. Why stick with the guys who are not producing? Are Carter Warren and Jerry Drake to weak or to slow. These kids should get a shot right now. Why should the juniors and seniors have their jobs guaranteed if they suck on the field. We are going nowhere fast and need to find out if the young kids can play and develop. I have seen very little growth or development from those who are playing. I blame the coaches for alot of the lack of progress, but, when something isn't working, the mark of a good coach is to make changes of either personnel or scheme or perhaps both. It is time for a youth movement, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Would it be so bad to try some of the younger higher rated guys we have who had some nice offers out of highschool? How much worse can they do? We haven't been competitive against any team that can throw the ball. Thank god Georgia Tech is a running team or our only win would be against Albany. We blew Kenny Pickett's redshirt last year and found out he could be pretty good. It is a shame that the Duzz didn't start playing him immediately after Max Browne went down. The Duzz is blowing an opportunity to find out right now if some of the younger players can develop into real players, instead playing the below the line upperclassmen and sticking with it despite no signs of improvement, only regression.

I have touched on playing Paris Ford numerous times for the defense. The Duzz's scheme does not fit the talent he has, but Ford could help. If he insists on staying with that scheme he is slowly sealing his own fate. I have seen Twyman and Alexander, but, our linebackers need to be way better. Recruiting in this area has been extremely deficient.

Over to the other side of the ball. Our O-line play is very weak. Why stick with the guys who are not producing? Are Carter Warren and Jerry Drake to weak or to slow. These kids should get a shot right now. Why should the juniors and seniors have their jobs guaranteed if they suck on the field. We are going nowhere fast and need to find out if the young kids can play and develop. I have seen very little growth or development from those who are playing. I blame the coaches for alot of the lack of progress, but, when something isn't working, the mark of a good coach is to make changes of either personnel or scheme or perhaps both. It is time for a youth movement, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Preach!!!

I think most everyone agrees. I think a strong contingent agreed with this at the beginning of the season and even last year. I don't think HCPN, but he may think these 4th and 5th year players are the only chance he has to win enough games to keep his job.

I think most everyone agrees. I think a strong contingent agreed with this at the beginning of the season and even last year. I don't think HCPN, but he may think these 4th and 5th year players are the only chance he has to win enough games to keep his job.
I’m sure he thinks these guys give us the best chance to win. But this Saturday’s game is pivotal. A loss to Syracuse and this season is for all intents and purposes lost. If that happens it will be time play guys like Salahudden, Davis, Paris Ford and quite a few more of the younger guys. Give some of the younger LBs more of a shot. I am not saying bench all the older players. But there would be no excuse to let talented younger guys stew on the bench the rest of the year.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I’m sure he thinks these guys give us the best chance to win. But this Saturday’s game is pivotal. A loss to Syracuse and this season is for all intents and purposes lost. If that happens it will be time play guys like Salahudden, Davis, Paris Ford and quite a few more of the younger guys. Give some of the younger LBs more of a shot. I am not saying bench all the older players. But there would be no excuse to let talented younger guys stew on the bench the rest of the year.
As you say, the Syracuse game is critical for the direction of the rest of this season. Realizing that, it is hard to be hopeful. Eric Dungey has chewed our defense up for years now. What reason is there to believe this time will be different? Do you think the Duzz will change his personnel or scheme, even a little tweak? Dungey is so similar to Mcsorely and Milton, he can run all over us if not accounted for. I aint no genius, but, running an athletic spy on him on key third down plays, might be a way to at least keep an athletic QB in the pocket. I don't know if we can get to him at all, but at least make him throw the ball. I just want to see something different from this staff. Show me that you can acknowledge what your doing isn't working. Show me, as a staff, that there is life. Repeating a failed defensive gameplan again and again pretty much shows stubborness, arrogance, and a broken will. These kids deserve better than that!

Reactions: Mikefln
The question these younger players will start eventually asking themselves is should I stay at Pitt while sitting and losing . It's one thing to sit at an Alabama or OSU and wait your turn behind older and better players , but Pitt ?
Now if these younger guys aren't close to being ready what does that say about the future !

The question these younger players will start eventually asking themselves is should I stay at Pitt while sitting and losing . It's one thing to sit at an Alabama or OSU and wait your turn behind older and better players , but Pitt ?
Now if these younger guys aren't close to being ready what does that say about the future !
Correct. If the drop off between the seniors and the rest of the squad is that dramatic, then we are screwed for the future. If the difference is minimal, then it is time to play the younger guys.

There are veterans in the lineup that are severely limited talent wise and they’re being put in situations where they can not succeed. Serious changes need to be made to the starting lineup on both sides of the ball, and to the defensive scheme but we all know that won’t happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT