ADVERTISEMENT

Zeise out at Fan.

Honestly, I like the dude. Similar in age, I like the no nonsense type of guy which is really representative for the area. But he is HORRIBLE on the radio. UmmmmmAHHHHHHHHHHHHHUmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I mean the Fan even has a bit of a "Paul Pause" when he forgets something he was going to say.

I like the Yinzer accent in sports talk. Zeise, Dorin, McAfee, Wanny.

Reactions: Wanstash21
He was late a couple times in the past two weeks. Starkey would say stuff like “Is Paul coming in today” or “Not sure where Paul is”. It was weird. I wonder if the manager of the station was tired of Paul being unpredictable with respect to arrival time. I might be wrong. Could it have been performance? I doubt it. I thought he was good with Starkey who is a weirdo with his nicknames for everybody and his over reaction to most things.

There is an old saying if in fact it was about work attendance.

if you’re early you’re on time.
If you’re on time your late
If you’re late you’re fired

Reactions: Pittgolf1971
He was late a couple times in the past two weeks. Starkey would say stuff like “Is Paul coming in today” or “Not sure where Paul is”. It was weird. I wonder if the manager of the station was tired of Paul being unpredictable with respect to arrival time. I might be wrong. Could it have been performance? I doubt it. I thought he was good with Starkey who is a weirdo with his nicknames for everybody and his over reaction to most things.

When in high school circa 1970, I learned about Lombardi time.
Coach said to be on time, you need to be 5 minutes Early.
If you were on time, you we late.
For the past 50 years, my watch was always set 5 minutes early.

If you can get beyond the typical cookie cutter polished tv/radio guy persona, and accept him as an average dude who happens to be on the radio, then it’s easy to get beyond the umms and ahhhs and find him refreshing.

I hope he’s not gone because he was great with Starkey.

If you prefer polished radio personalities , you can take any of The Fans young broadcast journalism grads from Waynesburg that they are foisting on us. They are articulate. But they don’t have the personality of Zeise and about 1% of his knowledge and experience in Pittsburgh sports. They’re unlistenable to me. I don’t need to listen to the opinion of a kid who’s never experienced a pirate winning season or a Steeler Super Bowl. Yeah it’s been that long. Lol.

zeise hasn’t gotten better at his job on the radio since the day he joined. That’s a decade plus of not even trying to improve his delivery. I applaud that sort of dedication to indifference

• Haha
Reactions: Parkview57
zeise hasn’t gotten better at his job on the radio since the day he joined. That’s a decade plus of not even trying to improve his delivery. I applaud that sort of dedication to indifference
There was a story once told when new bosses took over, they couldn’t believe what they were hearing when Paul Zeise was on the radio. He was/is an unconventional/untrained ration guy. Then someone said to just give it some time with an open mind before making a decision to take him off the air. Eventually they saw something different in him. They saw him as a regular Pittsburgh guy with regular opinions, who also has a wealth of experience in sports reporting that serves him well in the talk radio business. I’m not sure anyone there cares that he hasn’t turned into a prototypical radio host.
If he truly is gone, I’d be willing to bet it was not performance related. With the level of talent they have there, he stacked up pretty well compared to all the others…in spite of his obvious flaws.

Yes Starkey is starting to get nerve grating.

For a few years Starkey would play that Buffalo Bills fight song. I think Cook finally told him to stop it. Starkey is just weird. I think he feels like he’s entertaining but he is only entertaining himself because he’s a juvenile

For a few years Starkey would play that Buffalo Bills fight song. I think Cook finally told him to stop it. Starkey is just weird. I think he feels like he’s entertaining but he is only entertaining himself because he’s a juvenile
I think everything you said is true. He’s almost become a gimmick, like a WWE character, and if you look at it through that lens it becomes tolerable. At least it did for me.

But I can certainly see how people don’t respond to some gimmicks or grow tired of them. That’s how I also viewed Zeise. His unconventional delivery is his gimmick. Even though it’s not really a gimmick or anything he can control. Lol. It’s more like his trademark.

Pittsburgh sports radio has to be at an all time low right now. Allegedly Madden gets the best ratings, but he is just awful. The Fan is more commercials than talk and very few on there are worth listening to all of the commercials for. I like Pomp when he’s on but I don’t catch him too often.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and Pitt MD
Pittsburgh sports radio has to be at an all time low right now. Allegedly Madden gets the best ratings, but he is just awful. The Fan is more commercials than talk and very few on there are worth listening to all of the commercials for. I like Pomp when he’s on but I don’t catch him too often.
Here is Madden's biggest problem. He's old. Stale. He thinks he's edgy, but he is not. He is predictable. I can write his show for him. And his steadfast adherence to supporting his narratives is boring at best. What is sad, he is probably the best overall interviewer. And his weekly guest spot on DVE with Randy Baumann is really good for us older dudes.

Here is Madden's biggest problem. He's old. Stale. He thinks he's edgy, but he is not. He is predictable. I can write his show for him. And his steadfast adherence to supporting his narratives is boring at best. What is sad, he is probably the best overall interviewer. And his weekly guest spot on DVE with Randy Baumann is really good for us older dudes.
See now I have always thought his interviews were stale, generic and lack any edge whatsoever, which was a contrast to the rest of his show. But I haven’t listened to him in a few years now. His trolling has gotten old and unless you want a majority of hockey talk, he doesn’t offer much. But yeah his segment with DVE Randy is usually really good. But that’s them interviewing him. He still has his wit and sense of humor.

I hate to say this........outside of his Schleprock like predictions, Filaponi is not bad either. He does alot of national shows, he is not long for this market.
Poni is talented. But sometimes the bro fest with Muellsy is tiresome, as they try to out-stat each other and Muellsy tries to out vocabulary everyone. If I’m in the car from 2-6, I’ll listen to them because they are NFL heavy, while Madden is NHL heavy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT